Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Default Blackbeards Cay, Nassau

Does anyone know how to book the stingray excursion to Blackbeards Cay? According to the RCCL website they don't offer this excursion on The Mariner of the Seas, is this stingray excursion better than the stingray city tour at bluelagoon? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2003, 12:03 PM
Roxane

Default Re: Blackbeards Cay, Nassau

Yes you can book it on your own. Here is a link if you would like to check it out.

http://www.blackbeardscay.com/

I have not yet tried Blackbeards Cay, but I do intend to do so. I have visited the stingrays at Blue Lagoon, and it was great. I was a bit disappointed as I have a developmentally delayed 14 year old and he is terrified of deep water. I was told that the water was not that deep. WRONG! The water was at least 10 feet deep, and you had to enter the enclosure via iron steps that led down into the enclosure. The stingrays stay near the bottom of the water when not being fed.

I was very concerned when I saw this, but since we had opted to go the late feeding of the rays, we really lucked out. It seemed that everyone else went to the first feeding so they could catch the ferry back to the mainland and do some shopping. We had the rays all to ourselves. The operator was very friendly, and catered to my son so he was able to enjoy the rays also. He coaxed my son out onto the first couple of steps in the water to have a seat, and taught him how to feed the rays. They came right up the stairs to him and the food! He was just beside himself with enjoyment. He even asked if he could take one home for his bath tub. The operator handled this quite well by telling him that there was no way to sneak it back on the ship.

I understand the rays on Blackbeard Cay to be quite friendly, and they will come right up to the shoreline to be fed. I think my son will enjoy that better, and not be so afraid of falling off of the steps into deep water.
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:54 PM
David and Bridget

Default Re: Blackbeards Cay, Nassau

We have been on Blackbeards Cay twice. The beach is very nice. It is shared with Sandals Royal Bahamian extra beach area. It is separated by fence and you are not allowed to cross it. It is on the other side of the island and they do a good job separating the areas. I have not done the StingRay thing there. The rays are kept in an area next to the dock. You can walk into the water from the beach. RCL also offers 2 tours to Blackbeards besides the StingRays. One is just a simple beach excursion where cruise through the harbour and hang out on the beach for a few hours. Sandy beach, great water, drinks and food. The other tour is the Yellowbird. Did that one with a group of 20. Unlimited rum punch. Picture this... 55 gallon drum filled with punch and big bahamian pouring bottles of cheap dark rum into it and stiring with an wooden paddle. But once you start drinking you tend to forget that. There is a band and dancing on the way back after you spend time on the beach. Drinks on the island are not included. Have fun! We're heading out on the majesty on Oct 3 and will probably do cruise over to there.