Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Passenger

Default Hurricane activity?

Hoping to book my first caribbean cruise late November or early December. What are the seas like generally then? Is the hurricane season on the wane by then? Do the ships manage to avoid them? I'm not the best sailor in rough seas! I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Hurricane activity?

Caroline I live in Miami and have cruisee in November. But I've only sailed on mega ships at this time, so it depends on the ships. The Straits of Florida can be a little bumpy but the rest of the trip is fine.

The hurricane season is on the downside by late November and I've never seen one in December.

Hurricane season is from June 1 through November 30. The peak months are late August, September and early October.

As you can see, the waves are rolling off Africa as I write this.

I would consider December cruising, just to give you piece of mind.
Old August 30th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Yeoman

Hi
My husband kids me that I get seasick on the dock. Don't sweat it. The bigger ships put out the stabilizers and its fine. Ive turned green on the Voyager, queasy on the enchantment but it went away soon. I find if Im up on deck Im ok and also on the big ships down low ie Ice Rink As far as the cabin goes, my husband the engineer explained that if we turned our bed to face the water we would rock with the waves It worked. We have cruised in Nov, Aug and March and now I'm planning on going in Dec. The western carribbean is a little calmer as it is the gulf of Mexico instead of the Atlantic. Yes, as we speak here in Fl we are keeping a close eye on Fabian. The ships steer clear of the storms and will adjust their itineraries for safety. Cruising is the only way to go. I also take bonine and bring gingerale if I need it. Also, keep alchol consumption to a minimum. You'll be fine
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Hurricane activity?

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for your advice. It's very helpful. We've decided to go for the cruise leaving 5th December on Brilliance of the Seas. Looking forward to it hugely!! Hope hurricane Fabian does not cause you any problems.

Take care and thanks again.

Next year we hope to take our teenage kids on one of the mega ships. Do you have a favourite ship?

All the best

Caroline
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Yeoman

Caroline.

You will love the Brilliance of the Seas. It's a beautiful ship,, very nautical. I went on it last November.

I always book a cruise the first or second week in December for the Caribbean each year. The weather is great (no hurricanes) and I get the best rate this time of year. This year we are on the Summit on 12/12 for a 10-night Ultimate Caribbean. Can't wait.

Brilliance doesn't have a Johnny Rockets on board, but they have the Seaview Cafe that is great for burgers, sandwiches, onion rings, shakes, etc. It's a great place to eat instead of the Windjammer Buffet Cafe. It's on Deck 12, aft of the ship. Great service and you can eat outside as well. If you can, eat at Portofino's at least once, it's well worth the money.

For the kids, I would suggest the Explorer of the Seas or the Navigator. They have a great kid's program and these ships are larger than the Brilliance. I love the Explorer and I'm trying to squeeze in the Navigator maybe in February.

My suggestion would be to cruise in April or May with the kids. Don't chance hurricane season.

As we speak, my husband is working on our hurricane shutters, Isabel is a big one and we pray it misses us.

Have a great cruise.