Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Default Balcony - worth $1400?

We are booked on the Enchantment for 9/29 and currently we are 2 couples booked in 2 inside staterooms. Just for fun, I called to find out what it would cost to upgrade to a 2 bedroom family suite for all 4 of us. They told me $1460 total. My husband and I would pay it ourselves because we don't think it would be fair to ask the other couple to come up with it after all is said and done. Has anyone seen this category and if so, is it worth the $1460? We always get inside or ocean views and have never even seen one of the balconys, so thanks in advance for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:53 AM
thechad56

Default Re: Balcony - worth $1400?

Does the ship not have any regular balcony cabins left? If so just upgrade and then tell your friends that the can upgrade for what ever it costs I personally think that it is more than worth it to pay the extra money we love having breakfast out on our balcony, cocktails in the evenings and just stepping outside when ever you feel like it and for those that say they are never in there room, well they never had a balcony because it is so much nicer having a lot of privacy. Hope this helps. And yes I have seen the two room suites they are just like a regular cabin and the inside is not nice like a suite but just a larger room. Hope this helps.
Chad
Old September 4th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Passenger

It would actually be less expensive for us to get the 2 bedroom "family suite" than it would to get 2 balcony cabins. In the pictures I have seen of the family suites, they look quit a bit larger than the regular staterooms because there is a large sitting area. But, sometimes looks can be deceving!!
Old September 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM
browezilla

It really is a personal decision that is hard for others to help you much with. It all depends on how much more you would enjoy the balcony, view, and the extra "closeness" of having another couple in the same cabin.

For me, I spend so little time in the cabin it isn't worth it. I usually book inside rooms, just because I'm not going to sit in the room (but then I'm strongly extroverted too). I have friends who won't cruise without a balcony. It really is a matter of personal taste and how much you are willing to spend for your preference. I know this doesn't help much...
Old September 4th, 2003, 03:48 PM
donnajo

I just priced the family suite on cruise411.com for 4 people.
Without insurance it comes to 2658. divide that by 4 people and the total perperson would be 664.54 Is that lower or higher than what you paid?

Good Luck,
Donna
Old September 4th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Passenger

Lower , however we already booked originally with expedia.com so if I want to upgrade, I will need to go with them so they can credit me for the inside staterooms I already have. We paid ( a ridiculously low) $345 per person for a category "L" (larger inside stateroom) and to upgrade to a family suite it will cost a total of $2846 minus the $1380 we already paid =$1466 difference. Confusing or what? That is why I didn't put much detail into my original question, just wondered if it was worth an additional $1400!!! Thank you for checking another site, that was very nice of you.
Old September 4th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Denise1

Is this a Cat AA you're talking about? If it is, then it's a great deal!! We never sail w/out a balcony. Once you've had one, you may never want anything else. We enjoy the morning coffee and danish on the balcony as well as the late night snack.

We had the AA on Grandeur, Voyager and Explorer. They were wonderful. Very spacious w/ huge balconies. The cabins themselves are very spacious and does NOT feel overcrowed w/ four people.

11 weeks/3 days to Mariner....

Denise :-)
Old September 4th, 2003, 06:20 PM
thechad56

$345 is a great price though.
chad
Old September 5th, 2003, 12:18 PM
MPM

I'm a balcony convert. Now I save and do not wish to sail without one. Especially early morning. I put some cereal and milk in the frig and have breakfast watching the sunrise, etc. Also, you can see the approaching islands. Spectacular. Not to mention the stars in the evening. We have a thunder/lightening storm on our last voyage. Shut off all the lights, opened the curtains. Was a great show. I enjoy mingling but also enjoy some quiet time on my very own balcony. Also, with the curtains open you would be surprised how much bigger your room appears and your whole room seems airy and full of light.
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Once you go balcony...you never go back I have to agree that ever since I had my first balcony cabin....on Legend of the Seas....I will never leave home without it. I spend alot of time...just watching the ocean....and you know what?....I never have a problem getting a chair on it.

Rick
Old September 5th, 2003, 06:55 PM
thechad56

i like the never haveing trouble finding a chair on it
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:27 PM
donnajo

You did get a great deal on your inside cabins! At least you will have some room to yourselves. We have sailed our last four cruises in balcony cabins (they're really terrific) but due to the economy we had to cut back a little on expenses in order to cruise and our next two (one 4 dayer on the Sovereign in Dec. and a 7 dayer on the Grandeur next April) we are taking standard outside cabins.
We got the Sovereign for 261pp and the Grandeur at 577pp. I will miss my balcony, but I need to cruise!!! and.. the price was right!

Have fun on your cruise and enjoy the extra money you saved. Maybe put it towards another cruise?

Donna
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

You better make up your mind, there is only 4 on the ship. I wouldnt pay the extra, especially for a short 4 or 5 day sailing. Your hardly in there. We had a balcony on the Carnival Pride just because there are sooo many of them, it lowers the cost. We went out on it a few times, and really enjoyed it. But for 1400 bucks for 4 or 5 days!!! Skip it.

Rob
Old September 7th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone who responded. I think I am going to skip it, Rob you are right - it is only a 5 night cruise. We are planning a 7 nighter in the spring maybe for that one we'll get a balcony!! Thanks again!