Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:03 PM
my$.02

Default Seranade - PLEASE help and FAST!!!

My wife and I were getting ready to leave for Florida next week, but with the hurricane issue's, we called our TA to see what other options were. He found us a cruise to Halifax and New Brunswick for $740 out of NYC.

Can someone please tell me what the weather is like at sea at this time, and what there is to do in these ports?

We are both 30, will we be the youngest people on ths ship??
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:05 PM
SamIAm

Default Re: Seranade - PLEASE help and FAST!!!

I wouldn't panic and jump just yet. Isabel is a whopper and I am leaving on the Navigator on the 20th and I expect her to be long gone by then. You say you are leaving "next week", but I am not sure when. Although a trip on the Serenade would be nice, if you were hoping for warm weather, you certainly won't get it in Halifax Nova Scotia.
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with SamIAm
if you're looking for warmer weather NB & NS is not a place to go; weather is much cooler than FL.
Go for it! The Serenade OTS is a beautiful ship, and there is something to do on the ship, and at these ports of call. Unless you get seasick easily the motion in the ocean is not bad!

Post Edited (09-10-03 13:38)
Old September 10th, 2003, 03:20 PM
my$.02

We were leaving for Florida on Wed. We have been to Florida many time, so the cruise will be a nice change (although we have been on 3 of those also).

What is the weather like? Also, what are the seas like on this cruise?
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

A group of my friends are traveling on the 9/15 voyage. Our ages range from 38-50 but we're young at heart, love to have a good time, and expect to consume large quantities. !!!

Skip Florida and Join US!!!!!!
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM
browezilla

As long as you can get on the ship, the ship will steer clear of bad weather, including changing the itinerary. Since you're going a week from now, sounds like you'll be ok to stick with your Serenade plans.
Old September 10th, 2003, 08:56 PM
cricket55

Default Re: Re: Seranade - PLEASE help and FAST!!!

Contrary to what many americans believe, Canada is not Alaska! You make it sound like going to Halifax NS will be wading thru 3 feet of snow. Actually most of southern Canada is expected to have beautiful weather throughout most of September, somewhere in the 60's and 70's during most days. Tomorrow will be in the 80's in Southern Ontario Canada.
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Cricket,
All I was saying is that Halifax, NS is much COOLER than Florida at that time of the year!
Agree or disagree no mention of snow!
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM
cricket55

Wakka,

I was actually responding to "SamIAm" message more than yours where they say "you certainly won't get warm weather in Halifax" In my opinion weather in the 70's certainly qualifys as "warm", especially in September. Halifax gets weather in the 90's in the summer. Of course I agree that Canada is cooler than Florida, so is Vermont, Minnesota and most other US states as well. I took no offense at your comment Wakka.

The reason why we Candadians often get
so defensive is that many (not all) Americans think of Canada as freezing cold all the time, whereas in actuality, some parts of Canada have much hotter summers and much milder winters than MANY US states. For example, Southern Ontario is on the same latitude as Northern California....bet not too many Americans knew that. And most of New England states are also further north than Southern Ontario, as are many states such as Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. Just a few facts I thought some would benefit from....we friendly Canadians hope all the Americans enjoying our beautiful country on cruises will feel welcome.
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:47 AM
SamIAm

I didn't mean that it would be freezing in Nova Scotia, but the difference between bikinis and shorts on a beach on Labadee and strolling the street's of Halifax is pretty noticeable. Sorry, didn't mean to offend the Canadians!
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Understood! Canada is a BEAUTIFUL Country !!
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Passenger

I am thinking of suprizing hubby with a four night to Halifax we live 45min from the NY port. This would be a 20th anniversary present. Grandparents are staying with us till the end of the month. I will persaud them to stay 2 extra days to watch the kids. Am I being unreasonable? Do I book an inside and then try and get a upgrade at the pier or do I book a balcony now?
Which is the best TA for the price?
Eileen

Voyager of the Seas 2/15/2004
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:40 PM
First Mate

That cruise books up quickly eileen, so book what you would be happy with, I would get the balcony myself, so you don't miss a thing. There may not be the upgrade available to you at the pier. Sounds like a nice surprise for your anniversary. Hope all goes well.

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Beginner

My husband and I just returned from a cruise to Nava Scotia on 9/11 on the Seranade of the Sea's. We were very worried about rough sea's due to hurricane Fabian, but had no trouble at all. the weather was beautiful all 5 days, in mid to upper 70's. The ship was gorgeous, service and food great! I would not recommend the bus tours in Halifax or St. John. take a taxi. It will be less expensive and you'll have a better time. Was only given 30 min in Peggy's Cove after a horrible hour ride on the bus.
We booked an inside cabin which was spacious enough for the little amount of time that was spent in it. The shows were very good also. We had a great time and I would definitely recommend it!
Old September 14th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Wakka, as a transplanted Canadian, I know you are right about some Americans perception of Canada. Some think there is a wall of snow that meets them at the US/ Canada border. Our neighbours know it for a fact and won't go up there!
Old September 14th, 2003, 03:42 PM
RSG

Dear bosabar,
Thanks for the update on Sidney and Halifax. Are you suggesting that we wait for arrival and just hire a cab at the pier in both cities? Is there anyting we shouldn't miss? Thanks RSG
Old September 14th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Seranade - PLEASE help and FAST!!!

RSG,
For a shore excursion in Halifax we chose Peggy's Cove Fishing Village Tour. A beautiful spot on the coast with a light house and small village and great scenery. It was an hour ride before reaching Peggy's Cove, Once we arrived at Peggy's Cove, we were "allowed" a 30 min stop. Just enough time to use the rest rooms, snap a few photo's and back on the darn bus. When we arrived back at the peir, we hailed a cab and were able to see the Citadel, a fort that sits at the top of the city of Halifax. When speaking with the cab driver, he informed us he could have taken us out to Pegy's Cove for less than the Ships excursion - $42 ea adult, given us a city tour on the way and spent time at the lighthouse at our leisure. We've learned our lesson and will now venture out on our own more often.
We ran into basically the same thing in St. John's , New Brunswick. took the St Martin's tour, and found ourselves on a bus for about an hour with little stops along the way. Always 10 to 30 min allowed.
It really depends on what you prefer, we did not like the time restrictions and the crowded bus rides. The two cities were pleasant and if you like shopping offered quite a variety of shops. The floral gardens are nice at St. Johns, and we were told that the Reversing River Falls are impresive but bus tour did not hit it at the right time of tide when we stopped.
Hope this helps,

bosabar
Old September 14th, 2003, 05:47 PM
RSG

bosabar,
You've been most helpful. We'll be there in early Oct. and will let you know how we make out. Many thanks, RSG
Old September 14th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

the entire northeast stands to get more of the storm that Florida

MARINER OF THE SEAS 10/31/2004
Sensation 4/17/2004
SOS 4/2003
Fantasy 1991 AND 2002
GLORY 8/2003
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:41 PM
cricket55

To Sam I Am, I appreciate your comments...too true....Canada is indeed not Labadee....I've been there too....it's definitely not as hot in Canada in September as Labadee is likely but I can tell you for sure....our shopkeepers are sure as heck not as pushy either. Ironically when I was in Labadee this past January, it was freakin' freezing there...just my luck....at least it was a lot warmer than Canada was in January!

To Wakka, thank you for your lovely words about Canada

To Sparky, "a wall of snow meets you at the border" ...too funny (and sadly too true of their perception). I was also a transplanted Canadian as a child and when "some" Americans found out I was from Canada, they would ask me where I got my clothes....guess they thought I should be wearing a bearskin and a racoon hat!