Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Thanks for nothing Royal Carribbean

My goodness - can noone have an opinion anymore without being attacked! I can totally understand why DanaR and Jamie were upset - they paid their hard earned money for that cruise and to not even be notified of a change or given some type of freebee (any attempt would have been nice - free drink, free photo, etc.) seems like bad PR on the part of RCI. No, it was not RCI's fault that there was a hurricane, but it was also not the passengers fault!! I think the people that are jumping down their back are people who have never had their itenerary changed and gone through what they just experienced!
Old September 18th, 2003, 12:46 PM
DanaR

Awwwwwww thanks MK ....where these people got the idea that we want RC to give us a full refund, or hold them responsible for a hurricane is beyond me.....and yur 100% right using the term "bad PR", cuz that's exactly the point I have been trying to make....thanks!!!....
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I wonder why they didn't notify the passengers before hand if in fact they knew of the itinerary change two days before sailing? I can't believe RCI hasn't had this happen before and had procedures and policies in place to react to this very situation.

I mean, sheeesh..............RCI is a large and respected company. You know they have something in place to deal with these kinds of events so you'd think they'd have notified the passengers somehow. IF, they knew two days in advance.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks for nothing Royal Carribbean

Post Edited (09-19-03 12:33)

Jewel Of The Seas 04/01/2007

Majesty of the Seas 11/17/2003
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Re: Thanks for nothing Royal Carribbean

Your telling me it was cold in Nova Scotia......Where do you live? It was in the low eighties in Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor and let's not even discuss Boston, my home port.. We never wore a sweatshirt and actually was inthe jacuzzi..... After cruising Royal Caribbean one time last year I will NEVER cruise them again.. you hve no idea how indifferent the service was, the entertainment was a frend said "he's seen better entertainment in his condo" and "he gets better chicken at Wendy's,,, We wer on the trans-atllantic of the Brilliance of the Seas... gorgeous ship..but that's all So you can all snub your nose at NCL, but they handle passengers and their complaints (so far) with class.
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Kuki wrote:
<<The fact remains, and somewhat amazes me, that some people expect the cruise lines to accept all the responsibility for the changes they had no control over.

Some people think they are making a reasonable request asking the cruise lines to simply give them the full fare credit for a future cruise. In fact, that's the same as asking for a full refund. They'd have had to sail with those cabins empty, and no revenue.

I realize, and agree, that itinerary is pretty important to people, when they choose their cruises. If that's the case, these same people should also look into booking at a time where the likelihood of problems on that itinerary is at its lowest. And even then, there are NO guarantees.
And I think it's unreasonable to expect the cruise lines to supply the guarantee.>>

I agree with Kuki 100%. Here's a suggestion (toungue planted firmly in cheek) -
Since cruises sailing during hurricane season are usually discounted, everyone signs an agreement that if the cruise line has to change the itinerary due to weather, then all passengers have the option of opting out and getting a full refund. However, if the cruise does its scheduled itinerary then everyone pays an additional premium (say $500 pp) and if the seas are calm and the sun shines every day then everyone pays another premium. I wonder who would come out ahead on that scenario?
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:26 PM
DanaR

Parrotmom......no offfense....but I have no idea what u are trying to say,,,,,u won't cruise RC again but they handle complaints well?..........u lost me.......all I know is I was cold and i caught a horrible cold, as did two of the other three people I was travelling with......and I live at the jersey shore....yur point?
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Jaime

I found the below posting on the message board for Celebrity....

Re: Value-in-Kind? Maine for Bermuda?
Author: Marc
Date: 09-19-03 07:21

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises gave $100 per person shipboard credit and $750 per person future cruise credit up front when the Seven Seas Navigator had to change from Bermuda to Canada. It sounds like Celebrity might have been able to diffuse a bad situation if they had treated their passengers as well. I guess some cruise lines are more proactive than others.
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Starfighter

I have no idea what Parrotmom is trying to say, either. It's like saying yes and no at the same time.
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Sharon B

I live in Atlantic Canada and the weather was beautiful here last week. Cool nights and warm sunny days. September on the East coast is a beatiful time of year.

We did Canada N/E on the Rotterdam this year- Boston to Montreal and paid a higher per diem for an inside than we usually do for a balcony in the Caribbean. It was the most relaxing enjoyable cruise we have taken . Besides, for all who missed Bermuda, you have an excuse to book Bermuda next year now. Go in May and avoid hurricane season.
Old September 21st, 2003, 03:56 AM
Past Tense

Default Re: Thanks for nothing Royal Caribbean

Sorry guys but you should try reading what parrot mum actually wrote. Grammatically all over the place but the content simply says that she sailed on Brilliance which was a great ship but the service was crap. She has also sailed on NCL where they handle passengers and their complaints much better. Well I've been on both and she is SPOT-ON! R.C.I. wouldn't even know how to spell the word service let alone offer it.
The whole issue is down to communication or, in this case, the total lack of it. For sure you cannot blame R.C.I. for the weather but they should have kept their passengers informed. We had a similar problem in the Baltic when Brilliance could not visit Stockholm due to high winds but the first we knew about it was about two hours after we were due to have sailed from Copenhagen but were still moored up and the captain finally got round to letting his passengers know what was happening or,in this case, not happening. Like I said R.C.I. are not very good at communication.
I also reckon that some financial recompense should have been automatically made; several posts have made the point that they were not even offered a free drink which would probably have gone a long way to placating them - well the second or third would have! How much would this have cost R.C.I.? Buttons!
Enough said. Cheers.
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:30 PM
hcat

Een though I am in the group that feels passengers should have been notified & given a choice to re-book at another time before such major itin. changes, I must disagree about communication on RCL--or the genralization that it is always poor. Past March on Enchantment there was a med. emergency during our first night after Key West. The ship had to return while we slept to meet a helicoptor halfay from USA. In the am the Captain greeted us saying it was a beautiful day at sea--we knew that was not the intin. He went to explain everything. that had taken place. They worked furiously & changed our order of ports--our itins & we did not miss anything exept had ashorter sat in one place--no great loss. New Compasses were out in a flash..They took steps to insure the health of the passenger & then bent over backwards to make things work & to let us know what was going on...Very impressd with that whole ship from looks, to cleanliness, service from hotel & captain etc. We also criuise Celeb & think they are less open--even for regular info abt excursions etc. Everything seems to be a secret! GUess it is hard to genralize--so maybe we should not. For me I am done with this thread --moving on to think about upcoming cruises.but wanted to give credit where it is due. Am abit concerned about comments about Brilliance which is our next RCL cruise..any good comments on it?
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:13 PM
Admiral

I

Post Edited (09-21-03 23:16)
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:14 PM
Admiral

I was on the Nordic Empress with Jaimie. In speaking with people cruising on ships also destined for Bermuda that week, they were compensated with money for the change in itinerary. We would have liked to have at least received something. We spoke to a man and his wife who sailed the same dates we did, and they went to the Bahamas and Florida. That would have been a much more acceptable change of itinerary, so those of you who say itineraries can change should also agree that a change from a warm climate to a cold climate is not acceptable when warm weather ports were still open for business. The ship's personnel only joked about the fact that many of us were only prepared for warm weather. A lot of the people were sick the last day of the cruise and I personally was sick all last week.

The most distressing part of the change of ports was that many of the elderly and handicapped passengers could not even leave the ship. Ramps leading off the ship were so steep that most opted not to even attempt the descent and climb. Passengers were debarking from level five of the ship down to the ground. I ended up half carrying an elderly woman up the ramp to the ship in Halifax. I don't think this is very good customer service! Do you?

The pursers were not helpful and acted very indifferent to people's complaints.

I have cruised 5 times with Royal Caribbean and will not sail with them again due to the way we were treated.
Old September 27th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Diane and Jack

Default Also on that cruise

I was also on that cruise.

First off we checked with RCL on the Friday and Saturday prior to the cruise and were told that there were no itinerary changes. We get to the terminal and found out that we are now on a New England cruise due to the weather and that most of the passengers were notified by their travel agency (including online agencies like Travelicity) of the change Friday and Saturday. We booked directly through RCL, checked both days for changes, and were NOT notifed. Everyone we spoke to on the cruise who booked directly were not told. There's something wrong with this picture.

Had we known we would have either canceled for 75% on a future cruise (had the insurance for this) and flown to a warmer destination, or at the very least packed alot warmer. We were offered no explanation for the non notification.

The very least RCL could have done was a free round of drinks upon boarding or a RCL sweatshirt. I ended up buying sweatshirts in Canada to keep warm. (note to a prior poster - Canada on the Halifax coast was cold)

We are both from New England so this trip held no allure for us. We tried to make the best of the trip but Boston and Portland are regular day trips for us.

Summary: RCL should have notified us thus affording us the chance to either rebook on another cruise (since we had their insurance) or at the very least pack accordingly.
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Passenger

My two cents....for anyone who has cruised...read your contract of passage or whatever the cruiselines call it which states that the cruiseline can change or alter the itinerary at ANYTIME no matter what the reason especially if it pertains to the well being of all passengers.

So,,,quit your *****ing and hope you had a goodtime no matter what the outcome.
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

Write to RCL and tell them of your complaint. When things have gone wronge for us in the past, we wrote a letter explaining everything (Not a nasty letter- just facts) we got compensated on our next cruise. It can't hurt to try.

Old September 28th, 2003, 05:06 PM
KC

I agree (and disagree) with a lot of the comments. At some point, you have to just suck up and deal with the change in plans. Keep in mind, that even though some folks were notified as early as Friday, it is highly possible that the itinerary was not firm until Friday night or Saturday morning. They may have been still working to find a series of ports they could change to in a warmer climate - remember, they have to find MANY ports within a workable distance of each other that are available for them to dock at. (Can you say 'scheduling nightmare?) The Carribbean and Bahamas are very popular destinations, so finding an empty port on any given day may not be as easy as you think. Just because some people were notified does NOT indicate it's a done deal...just someone getting the word out on what they know. BTW, if they 'say' the itinerary will not be changed, it might be a good idea to bring a couple of 'just in case' pieces of clothing so if you are faced with cooler temperatures, you won't be SOL.

I do agree that communication at all levels of the organization need to be working as quickly and efficiently as possible in a situation such as this. I agree that a letter expressing the impact to you as well as pointing out the gap would be a good thing to do. I also recommend providing them with a couple of 'reasonable' solutions. By reasonable, I mean, think in terms of a win-win situation for both parties. In this economy, I'm sure they can't afford to refund everyone or give you $100 back. A drink and/or a sweater shirt might have been a good idea though!

Sorry you had such a crappy experience...

kc
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM
Melissa Pasquantonio

If you book a cruise during hurricane season then you should excpect that a hurricane could happen and the cruise plans will change, deal with it and try to book another cruise not during hurricane season, try begining of March, well worth the money.
Old October 4th, 2003, 01:29 AM
p.g.

Wow, I rarely read this board( princess usuaslly) and you have some mean posters on here.
First , the weather can't be helped , but that is not the issue.
Second . they (Rci) should have been more diligent in contacting their customers, it sounds like they were almost deceit ful.
Third , if someone is disappointed in something I think it's rather rude and condesending to tell they to " quit whining" or " suck it up"
Fourth- the change from a warm weather destination to a cool weather destination is fairly significant and they (the cruise line) should have tried to stay within the same catergory( ie- warm weather stops)
Fifth- It would not have killed the cruise line to give out a free bl**dy drink now would it have ??A hot toddy would have been approiate and made people laugh!

Sixth- Never book during hurricane season it could happen again!
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:21 PM
zoe

I have sailed a few times and had itinerary changed because of weather or rough seas. It can really put a damper on your whole trip. Yes, many of us who have sailed a lot don't care that much where we go but SOME people do. These changes happen even when its NOT hurricane season, as it did to us in January, 2003.

Clearly, cruiselines are not responsible for the weather or the roughness of the seas. But they are responsible for the substitute itinerary and for communicating with passengers. If the change was made in time to notify passengers of the change before they left home, they should have been notified and given the option to sail or not to sail, IMHO.

I'm very familiar with the contract and I know they have the "right" to make changes and in cases where the cruise is in process, that works fine for me. Keep us safe, thats the top priority. But in the case of the diversions to Canada, the cruiseline knew before the cruises about the itinerary change. At the very least, customers should have been notified in advance of their arrival at the port. Perhaps its time that the cruising public woke up to the one-sidedness of the cruise contract and demanded better treatment. In what other industry do you pay your money, forfeit your right to a refund 60 days before the service is rendered, and accept whatever product the industry chooses to deliver? Even the airline industry (I shudder to say this... but I know its the first thing that came to your mind) is required to compensate passengers if they don't deliver the expected service.
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Just an FYI - Tropical Storm Henri was off the east coast of the US the same time Hurricane Fabian was hitting Bermuda and was still there for the next few days. Going south was really not an option for most of the ships. It was either north to NE/Canada OR seven sea days.