Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to stevenkate
Default First Time Cruisers

Hey all.....Steve and I will be cruising for our first time aboard the Voyager of the Seas in December on the Western itinerary. We have just begun to hit the message boards and read all the reviews. *Boy there are allot of people who complain allot!* Anyway, we have read to book our excursions with the locals instead of RCC because they are much cheaper. I'd like to hear any suggestions on this. We would love to snorkel in Cozumel because it is the number one dive spot and would really prefer to dive but the excursions look to be SO expensive. We'd like to experience the stingray city "thing" too if possible.

I have a question about attire. I realize that there are 2 formal nights and we'll need to dress appropriately on those two nights. Asside from those 2 nights what is the normal dress code (my question is basically for Steve)? Can he wear nice microfiber pants and shirt? Does he have to wear a tie? Can he wear Dockers and a nice shirt? I am just so confused about the attire and have read so many reviews my head is spinning at this point. I just don't want to be the "odd man out" and would prefer to blend as much as possible of course total opposite of Steve....lol.

As for alcohol, can you purachase a drink card for alcohol or is that for soft drinks only? I have read I can bring/sneak alcohol in my luggage aboard the ship. Can someone clear this up for me? If I can bring a bottle of wine or something for mixed drinks I'd sure like to take advantage of this.

In closing, please feel free to email me with any advice kdsnellen@yahoo.com. We would sure appreciate ANY info. you can give.

Thanks a bunch,
Kate
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: First Time Cruisers

Hi Kate,

I'll try to address as much as I can... I know what you mean about all the complainers. We were on the Carnival Jubilee in August and from the reviews I read on that ship, you would have thought it was the worst ship on the ocean! Since it was my first cruise, I had nothing to compare it to but I thought it was nice and well kept for an older ship and we had a blast on our cruise. I know things can go wrong sometimes but ultimately I think your cruise is what you make it.

Whatever excursions you book, book as early as you can. You might check the "destinations" message boards for more info on excursions.

For attire other than formal nights Steve should be just fine in Dockers and a nice shirt . No tie necessary on the "other than formal" nights. They mainly frown on jeans, t-shirts, and shorts. When you get your cruise documents it will have information telling you what the dress code is for dining.

I don't know anything on the alcohol card or soda card since we just drank tea, coffee and water.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, but I hope I helped you out some. What a great ship for a first cruise. I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Scubapuss

Kate,
I think it would be a shame for you to go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel and not dive. I dove there last August and it was the greatest thing I have ever done. I am going again in March on the Mariner and if I do nothing else I will do that. So save your money!!
Lori
Old September 27th, 2003, 10:31 AM
jpr21

Since its your first cruise you may want to book the shore excursion through the ship -- it's going to take alot of worry out of your trip---

YOu could take a taxi to Chankanaab -- but figure in the cost of taxi's both ways and the cost to enter the park , the cost to rent snorkel gear, -- and you might be saving some $$, but not lots for just 2 people. Same with a local snorkel boat ---
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Another thing to beware of in Coz. If you take an individual taxi anywhere, some drivers may charge you double for the return trip to the ship. Booking through the ship, alleviates that possibility.

Also, though I prefer to to go full bore (boar in the opinion of some, I suppose <L>) for formal night, in order to save luggage space for the Enchantment trip, I packed only one pair of long pants. They were light colored khakis. I wore them to dinner every night, with coat and tie on formal night. I neither looked nor felt out of place. After dinner, I would immediately go back to the cabin and change into shorts.

Steve

Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Enchantment 9/03
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to stevenkate
Default Thanks!

Hey guys....THANKS!!! for all the information. We really have enjoyed the responses we've gotten. We are making notes on what to do and what not to do. Where to go and where not to go. I believe we are pretty informed now. If I have any questions I know where to post!

Thanks again!!!

Kate and Steve
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:50 AM
First Mate

"I'd like to hear any suggestions on this. We would love to snorkel in Cozumel because it is the number one dive spot and would really prefer to dive but the excursions look to be SO expensive. We'd like to experience the stingray city "thing" too if possible. "

You should definitely go to sting ray city. I didn't think there was that much of a difference in price but I've seen some reviews of 3rd party vendors in the chat room.

"I have a question about attire. I realize that there are 2 formal nights and we'll need to dress appropriately on those two nights. Asside from those 2 nights what is the normal dress code (my question is basically for Steve)? Can he wear nice microfiber pants and shirt? Does he have to wear a tie? Can he wear Dockers and a nice shirt?"

Dockers and a nice shirt are fine for all the other nights. A tie is not neccesary.

"As for alcohol, can you purachase a drink card for alcohol or is that for soft drinks only?"

Drink card is no longer offered for alcaholic drinks. You can sneak a bottle in your luggage if you want to risk it or you can pay a "corkage" fee (I think it is $9 a bottle). Drink prices are not too bad.

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Yeoman

We did the Fiesta Party Boat in Coz and had a blast. that covered snorkling and beach and partying and wasn't real expensive. Have never had a problem with Taxis. Very reasonable. I think it's about 10$ to go to the park. Check out different dive groups to see who is doing what when in Coz. It is cheaper. Can find these on line. My husband and his buddy wore Khakis to dinner every night except the formal nights and then they wore dark suits. Us girls wore cocktail dresses. You will love that ship!!!! We were on it last Nov
Anne

Caribbean Princess