Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:50 PM
Passenger

Default cruise insurance

Have family of five taking cruise in 3 months. Trying to decide whether or not to take out cruise insurance?
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: cruise insurance

We have used travelguard and have not regretted it. It does not cost much and with the one claim that we had (torn luggage), they were prompt in sending us a check.

Bill

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM
Melissa Pasquantonio

Was travel guard thru the cruise line or something seperate that you got on your own?
Thanks
Melissa
Old October 21st, 2003, 06:40 PM
Denise1

Default Re: Re: cruise insurance

We had some friends I booked a cruise for in April. The cruise was scheduled for the beginning of June. The opted for the ins. and thank the Lord they did. His brother unexpectedly passed away the Thurs. prior to their trip. They were reimbursed the entire cruise fare, minus the ins. which was less than $200.

We never used to get the ins., but we will from now on. You just never know!

Denise :-) 4 wks/5 days to Mariner
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We never used to get the insurance either but 2 yrs ago a friend of ours had a heart attack a couple of weeks before our cruise & both he & his wife lost the entire price paid. Since then we always get the insurance & so far we've never had to use it.I think it's MURPHY'S LAW .

Mimi
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:42 PM
RSG

Default Re: Re: cruise insurance

After several cruises and a trip to Italy, I began to question the wisdom of Trip Insurance. however, two weeks ago tomorrow, as we were three hours out of St. John New Brunswick, at 7:15 a.m. I suffered a heart attack on the Grandeur of the Seas. Fortunately the ship had clotbusting medication onboard and it was administered within 45 minutes of the attack. Upon arrival in St. John, I was transferred to the hospital where they performed ballon angioplasty and inserted a stent. On Saturday the insurance company arranged air evacuation back to the states, with two paramedics onboard, and transfer to my home. Except for limits on weight lifting, I returning to my normal routine. I now am completing the paperwork for the expected bills. But I don't know how I would have gotten home except for the insurance company's efforts. I'm 65 years old, walk two miles/day, have cholesterol levels between 150 and 180, had an EKG in July and a stress test last January. Do you think I'll ever skip the insurance?
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:20 AM
Lynda

Default Re: Re: Re: cruise insurance

Our daughter and her husband were to sail in August of 2002 and her father-in-law passed away the day before the cruise was to start...they will always buy the ins. and so will we. It took a few months, but they got their money back, minus the ins. fee. Buy the Ins.
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:35 AM
CRUISECAT55

My wife's mother is 94 and my mother is 86. The insurance gives us peace of mind and one last thing to worry about.
Old October 24th, 2003, 01:44 PM
browezilla

As others have mentioned, it really depends on your personal situation (health, life demands, travel distance, tolerance for risk, other insurances you have, concerns about weather interruptions etc.). I've never taken it after 7 cruises, but my tolerance for risk is high and I'm in very in good health. For my inlaws, in their seventies with many life demands on them, I always book them with insurance. Definitely consider the cost of having to be helivaced from the ship if you become ill. It is VERY expensive
Old October 24th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Sooshie

One thing to consider as well is if you have anyone at home. If anything happened to them you could be there as well. We were on a cruise when my friends mother had a stroke. She was frantic worrying about getting home etc. Carnival was great about helping her make arrangements, but someone still had to foot the bill. Since then, I buy the insurance.
Old October 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Yeoman

25 cruises, no insurance and never needed it. Even if I missed a cruise completely, I would still be ahead of the game.
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Admiral

A personal cautionary tale. My wife and I had our honeymoon set for a seven day Cruise. One month before her daughter was diagnosed with cancer and we had to cancel. Travelguard refunded the amount we lost to the considerable cancellation penalty. Without we would have been out $1,600. There are people who will tell you they never have needed it, but keep in mind there are those that run around with sissors and look for gas leaks with matches and lived to tell about it. Bottom line is:

How Lucky are you Feeling?

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Yeoman

Pretty lucky...but seriously folks, my point was not to say insurance doesn't serve a purpose. It is just what it says it is..INSURANCE. And it is going to cost you because "they" are going to make a PROFIT. We provide our own insurance by putting the money into our "ING" account. So being self insured is not the same as running with scissors. We just choose to prepare differently and as already mentioned, it is an indivual decision based on varied circumstances. Last thing is to remember to charge these things on plastic. I was covered when "Renaissance" collapsed because that one would have emptied my savings account! Whatever the choice, enjoy all of your cruises, Robbie
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:21 PM
VTJen

Purchased it for my niec and I for our cruise in March, we are both so accident prone, and often have such odd things happen to us we decided not to tempt fate. Never have bought it before, though.

Jen
Majesty of the Seas - 03/08/04
Sensation 2/2003
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Eydie

I have been hearing good things about travelguard lately. My TA told us that RCI insurance doesn't cover Military orders. Does anyone know if travelguard does? That would be the deciding factor for me.
Thanks