Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ?? Ship Policy Re Staff In Public Areas When Off Duty

Does anyone know what Royal Caribbean's policy is concerning cruise staff using public areas during off duty time? More specifically the Bar, Lounge and Nightclub areas. I noticed that they still wore their name tags.

I am asking because of a situation in the disco on the Splendour last week.
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:57 AM
SamIAm

Default Re: ?? Ship Policy Re Staff In Public Areas When Off Duty

I think certain members of the staff are allowed into the public areas while others are not. Dancers, entertainers, Officers, etc. I noticed some of the dancers on lounge chairs one day by the pool. They weren't very close to the pool though, sort of off in a corner on their own and not "fraternizing" with passengers at all.
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Joyful

At the time my husband, which he was not yet at that time, was working on a ship, he was allowed in the public areas, because he was on staff. On the line he worked for if you were staff (entertainers, managers, etc.) you could go pretty much where you wanted when you wanted (except for pax cabins), but crew (servers, stewards, etc.) could not. Don't know if it is the same now or not. Staff captains kept a close eye on that!

I got caught in his cabin one afternoon, by the staff cabin. There were others in the cabin too, we were socializing and catching up, at the time. I just had to show him my ticket, then he suggested that I make my way back up to my own deck. This was before we were married, mind you! My husband did not get in trouble for it (thankfully), but the staff captains take their jobs seriously! This kind of thing could probably not happen nowadays.
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:16 PM
dancermom

Hi Cyndi,
Would you mind elaborating on the incident on the Splendour? A family member will be joining the Splendour as a dancer and I wonder if there is something he should avoid.
Thanks
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: ?? Ship Policy Re Staff In Public Areas When Off Dut

There was a theme night in the Viking Crown Lounge on the second to last night of the cruise. We (my husband and I, plus two of our tablemates) went to the lounge after dinner for a drink and dance before the activity got started. We sat in seats at a table right near the dance floor. After we ordered and received our drinks we went to dance. When we came back to our seats there were several cruise staff members, most from the onboard shops, sitting in our seats. They were SITTING on our purses and the table had fresh drinks on it so I think it was obvious that the seats were being used. When we tried to sit down again the staff members begrudgingly moved over a few inches. We squeezed in and pulled our purses out from under their rear ends. They were using the table in front of us for their drinks and when one reached for her drink she spilled it on my legs, shoes, and on my husbandís tuxedo. I donít even think she realized she had done this. We went for another dance and when we came back my marguerita had been knocked on the floor, there was broken glass underfoot, and the drink had splashed up on the seat. No one came to clean it up. By this time we werenít enjoying ourselves any longer and left. I looked for the Cruise Director or the Hotel Director the next day to talk about the situation but couldnít find either of them. (I found out later that the Cruise Director was sick.)

I have never experienced inconsideration like this from anyone onboard, let alone the cruise staff. And they all had their name badges on so there was no mistaking who they were.