Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:39 PM
McCorkle

Default Am I being silly.....

We're sailing on the AOS in June and I've been reading everything I can get my hands on! With all the activities going on I feel like there may be nights that we don't want to eat in the dining room. However, I'm nervouse about this because I'm afraid the service we get when we do eat there won't be as good if we skip out on a few nights. (Do you tip the same if you don't eat in the dining room every night?) I know I'm probably being silly, but I'm really trying to get over this feeling! Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:53 PM
my $.02

Default Re: Am I being silly.....

I would say yes, tip the same even if you do not go. THis is how they get paid, and it is not their choice for you not to go.

I feel that the service is the same each night. Very professional regardless of the amount of time you go.
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:59 PM
McCorkle

Default Re: Re: Am I being silly.....

That's what I thought on the tipping, but our TA said not to. I won't feel bad about not eating there if I know we are going to tip the same no matter what. That way we both win!!!
Old October 27th, 2003, 03:02 PM
my $.02

Guage the service to. If it is "deteriatering" on the later nights of the cruise if you are not there each night, tip accordingely. However, I would suspect that all will be well.

I have even seen people come back and tip the waitr at a table they did not sit at for 1 night (because they moved to a different table for whatever reason). That is classy to me.
Old October 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM
McCorkle

I agree! I've been on two previous cruises and the people in the dining room were wonderful!! I've never not eaten in the dining room before, but we'll be sailing with our 7-year old this time so I know some things may be different.
Old October 27th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi McCorkle,
You may want to let the dining room staff know if you are going to be absent the following night, but I'd still tip them the regular amount if you are there all the nights or skip one or two.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Like Donna said, if you know in advance you will not be in the dining room on a particular night, then tell the waiter. Tip according to the service--- don't penalize the waiter because you skipped a meal or two in the dining room.
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Is the food in the Windjammer as good as the main dining room or is it your regular
unappealing buffet food? Sometimes we just don't feel like making such a big deal out
of dinner in the dining room but we do want good food. Lobster & escargot at the buffet. Now that sounds like a great meal to me

Mimi
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:38 PM
First Mate

Your travel agent is WRONG! The bus boys that work the dining room also work the Windjammer. You will even see some of the more junior waiters work other rooms. Tipping is their primary income. Your agent's adivse is really BAD!
PS..I only have 30 years experience cruising and in the travel industry so I hope I have gained a wee bit of insight.

The "new" philosophy of eating all meals in the buffet line in order to stiff the wait staff stinks.
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:01 AM
McCorkle

The reason I'm thinking we might not eat dinner in the dining room is NOT to stiff the wait staff! I have absolutely no problem giving hefty tips for good service. I've been reading the Cruise Compasses and realize that a few "fun" things might conflict with the early dinner. We want to eat early because of our 7-year old so I'm thinking we may decide to skip the dinning room a night or two. Again, we would not skip just to stiff the wait staff!
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Yeoman

My husband and I request the early dinner so we can go to the 9:00 show and we have never had any trouble getting back from shore excursions/or anything else in time to dress. We also tip for the complete cruise no matter how many times we eat in the dining room. Last cruise on the Enchantment we only missed one dinner in Cozumel and our waiter truly seemed to miss us. We did not know in advance that this was going to be the plan. Anyway, quit stressing and have a great time. Only 8 more days till we sail again.
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:34 AM
browezilla

Ok, I don't get it. Tip for service not received? I know the bulk of their wages comes from tips, but so does my neighbor Applebees. If I chose not to eat out one weekend at home, should I still go in and tip them because the option was open to me?

To me, a tip is appreciation for service rendered. If there was no service, then no tip.

Now, having said that, from talking to the waiters at our table during our Oct cruise, this is becoming a problem on cruise ships as more and more people are not going to the formal dining room. We were at a "full" table of 10, and the most we had any night was 4 people. The cruiseline really needs to do something to ensure their wait staff is paid sufficient wages if they are going to offer alternate dining where tips are not provided. RCCL does not pool tips so that everyone gets a cut. The Windjammer staff do not received a portion of the tips from the formal dining room. I just don't see that, for example, I chose not to dine at all in the formal dining room, that I should show up and tip the wait staff when no service was rendered. We are not their employer, RCCL is. We tip in gratitude for service rendered.

Post a similar question to RCCL and see what they say. IE. say you have chosen to forego the formal dining room. Is there an expectation that you will tip the dining staff anyway.
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Mmketeer

Hi,

Though I have never sailed on RCCL, I have had experinces with DCCL and Carnival. I know exactly what your saying and it's definitly not silly. I wondered about this kinda of stuff my first cruises too. First let me tell you not to be concerned about the service you'll get when you come back to the table. Keep in mind that the waiters on the "alternate dining" style cruises are use to this kind of thing. I have yet to be at a table with other people on our cruises where we have all sat together at our "assigned" table everynight of the cruise. well, unless I had a table with just my family and then we were together at our table every night, but that was because we wanted to eat together. It's kinda of weird how much info. you'll end up sharing with your table mates. Matter of fact, on our previous cruises we could always say, "oh yeah, so and so won't be here tonight cause they are dining at the so and so place." Or "I guess being a honeymoon couple they decided to stay in tonight". The waiters will usually remember too if you say, "hey we got reservations for blah,blah so we'll see ya for so and so night instead." It's funny we have always gotten attached to our servers and even look for them when we cruise again (they even say they remember us...who knows for sure.) We have even liked our table mates so much that we have even popped in on them at dinner to join them for dessert even after we already ate!!

Anyway, I can assure it won't be an issue and I definitly agree with everyone else....no matter how much you dine at your 'assigned' table make sure you tip them the normal amount. They will earn it and you'll be glad you did. <BG> Enjoy your cruise...I know I will and I'll be skipping the main dining room myself a few times.

Mmketeer...Mariner/Nov.30th
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Admiral

When you skip the main dining room for dinner you should still tip the waiter as though you had been there. Yes, you did not receive the service you supposedly are tipping for but you did receive their service elsewhere. Those same waiters/waitresses are also working the breakfast shift and lunch shift during open seating. While they are serving customers for breakfast this allows others to staff the Windjammer for your buffet. Suppose they closed the dining room for breakfast and lunch and everyone had to eat at the buffet, these same people would be serving you at the buffet.

When you are eating, someone is serving you. Tip them please.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Yeoman

I agree with tipping the dining staff no matter what. As other posts have mentioned, these are often the same folks in the casual dining areas or that serve you breakfast/lunch in the dining room during "open seating." We are talking $7 a day folks (waiter and assistant) and you are going to eat, eat and eat some more.

I also agree that my waiter has appreciated knowing when we are not going to be in the dining room for dinner (announced night prior) so he/she doesn't adjust how he/she handles the orders from those that do attend.