Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Passenger

Default formal night attire

I'm taking my wife and 20 and 23 year old children on Serenade of the Seas in Jan. Can my son wear a sport jacket for the formal nights? Is a tie required?
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Gary Karschnick

Default Re: formal night attire

Your son can wear whatever he wants, however, a sport jacket with or without tie is not considered formal wear. The description provided by the cruise line clearly states tuxedo or dark suit with tie.
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Admiral

I would have to say that 20 and 23 year old children are not children anymore. They should be expected to follow the cruiselines guidelines for formal wear which clearly states dark suit and tie or tuxedo. Your son can rent a tuxedo from the cruiseline and be quite spiffy in his formal clothes on formal nite.

Carnival Glory
Old November 11th, 2003, 05:38 PM
hcat

I think a dark jacket & dressy tie would be OK with dress shoes. Renting or buying can be very expensive. We spent a fortune properly outfitting my husb who is more casual for work & we have not ben to a fancy wedding in quite awhile.. Fortunately, he has stayed the same size so it will carry for three or four more cruises. We really enjoy the lovely photos we got during the formal nights....All depends on your budget. While you don't want to offend anyone, you should not have to sit in your room or miss dinner. A newlywed couple at our table did just that because he did not have a dark suit & I guess they were afraid to be out of sync...we felt bad tfor them...
Old November 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Mike uk

Hi

A sports jacket will be fine. To he honest on the Brilliance back in May he would have been the smartest person under 40.

I wear a tie on formal nights until I get to the table then who cares.

Age 33
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:54 AM
First Mate

A dark suite with a tie should be fine. Many people don't honor the dress code anyhow but if they don't have dark suits it wouldn't hurt to pick one up for them. Otherwise there are alternate dining rooms if it is an issue.