Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM
aberfoyle

Default Joe's Stone Crab

Has anyone ever eaten at Joe's stone crab house in Miami? A friend of mine wants to go there because he has heard it is the place to be! I looked at their website and the menu looks interesting but costly? Also read some reviews that the wait can be up to 3 hours and the wait staff are rude. Has anyone experienced it. Any other recomendations??
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Chipmeister

Default Re: Joe's Stone Crab

We ate there some years ago before a Carnival cruise. First off, the food and service were great. For being an upscale place, the waiter was pretty funny actively telling us what not to order (I seem to remember fried lobster being one he said was not too good). But, overall, it's very good food. As far as the experience, well, you have pretty much heard what we experienced. Lots of beautiful people, very well dressed and lots of very expensive cars (at least in the valet parking line). We waited about 3 hours for a table. They did have a nice little bar area outside in back that we liked even for that long of a time. The old system of getting a table seemed to prevail, ie: everyone slipping the maitr'e de (sorry, never could spell it) a small wad of cash. And guess who got the first tables. It seemed that while we were up front, everyone was doing it, at least from what we saw. One thing we found pretty funny was that after an hour or so, we noticed a pattern developing. Every time they would page someone that their table was ready, it was, almost always, Dr. somebody. It seemed that everyone in the place was a doctor, for 3 hours! Either that was really the case, which I doubted, or that seemed to be the occupation everyone thought sounded the coolest. Anyway, that was about 9 years ago but i have heard that it's still the same. Maybe someone else will have more current data. But, the food was very good and least you could say you went.

Chip
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:47 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Joe's Stone Crab

We ate dinner at Joes Stone Crab on Easter Sunday of 2000. Yes, we waited for a table, probably for 2 hours. The stone crab was delicious, and service was great.
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:58 AM
aberfoyle

Default Re: Re: Re: Joe's Stone Crab

I can't believe that you people would wait 2 hours in line to get into the restaurant. Is it really worth that wait? I've read that it is overrated. Anyways, has anyone gone there for lunch instead of dinner?? Is the wait also 2 hours?
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Regardless of how good it is....I would never wait 2 or 3 hrs..lol. Would find a Long John Silvers .

Old November 20th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Chipmeister

Rick, you might have missed the part where I said they had a nice BAR to wait the 3 hours, lol. Anyway, the food was very good. Worth a 3 hour wait ? Maybe, but there is always a time and place for for yummy, greasy fried LJS (with extra crumblies).

Chip
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:31 PM
Alexander Monday

Never eaten there, but I have heard good things about it. You should also try Butch's Crabby in Exton !
Old November 21st, 2003, 04:25 PM
Jack Quick

I heard great things about Butch's Crabby.... I believe it is close to Exton's other famous eatery... The Assembly Dept.

JQ
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:39 AM
jil hew

been to joes! Hey, its a landmark. Worth the experience. stone crabs delicious and you Must try the french fried sweet potatoes!!!!! To die for!.
Old November 26th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Beginner

Just ate there in mid-October of 2003. It is pricey, but it has fantastic food and service. It is upscale service/prices/food but in an fairly laid-back jovial atmosphere. It defenitely is not recommended for a romantic special occasion for two.

The place is reknown and is a landmark.

If you're in Miami and you want seafood this is the place.

steve
Old November 27th, 2003, 07:47 AM
FLJOY

I have eaten there years ago, before it became so pricey , but now I can go to most chinese buffets and get all the stone crab claws and even crab legs and shrimp I want for $10.99(more on weekends) fresh good quality seafood, actually that is all we eat, don't even eat the chinese food....its more like a seafood buffet!
Old November 29th, 2003, 08:05 AM
It's official

Yes, I have been to all 3 places, Joe's Stone Crab is great. I have also been to Butch's Crabby in Exton and I thought is was overrated. The Assembly Dept. in Exton is awesome, especially two foot Tuesdays. Most people dont realize that they were the people who discovered the meal between brunch and lunch.