Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Marybet

Default tenders in Grand Cayman

I just booked a trip to see the stingrays that starts at 9 AM. Then I learned that Grand Cayman is a tendered port. Am I going to have trouble getting off the ship if we arrive at 8 AM? We are early birds so we won't have a problem getting an early start.
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: tenders in Grand Cayman

Hi Mary,
Did you book the excursion through the cruiseline? If so, you should have no problems, but if you booked with an indenpendent company, you'll need to get a tender ticket number as soon as they start handing them out. People with ship excursions get the first tenders, so it could be close??

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM
hcat

If not booked through the ship, it could be very very close....They will take the ship's excursion groups first of whihc there will be many,so you may have to wait to get off & it is a huge scene. Also learned that Grand Cayman time is not like regular time....I'd suggest a ship's excusion or getting connected for a later trip--Also bring lots of $$ for any souveniers--Gr Cay man is a pricey place We had lots of fun but it costs!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: tenders in Grand Cayman

Cayman Time is the the same during the months when there's not daylight savings time. At least that's what Nativeway Tours informed me.

Mimi
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:27 AM
Marybet

Thanks for the info. Sure wish the cruise line gave us more information on these things.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
hcat

I re-read my post & I am so sorry to have misled --I meant that practiacally nothing happens on time---like island time--Nothing we did there except on the ship ever happened when it was scheduled--mostly due to traffic & whatever else! Our excursion driver was very late & the hotel we went to for the day just did the schedule as it pleased them or the guests--(they ended up leaving a few behind & had to go back for them l later) hard to plan around it but on vacation who cares--I just meant to advise the inquirer that the timing on her plans were close!
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Marybet

Thanks for that encouragement -- at least if we are 5-10 minutes late, perhaps we won't be left. I guess as soon as I get on board I'll see if there is any room left on the ship tour and see about canceling the booked tour while we are still in Miami air space (for cell phone). Or I'll just make sure to be first in line to get the tender tickets. At least our family is a bunch of early risers.

How long is the tender ride from ship to shore?
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Mmketeer

Hi,

I have a excursion that I booked on my own through Native Ways at 9:30am that I have to walk to get too at their yacht club and I am not worried. If the ship has a problem they'll know about it. Plus, I also plan on getting up early for breakfast and fighting the crowds to be the first ones off the ship. But, I am sure with even being 5 -10min. late their wait as long as they can for stragglers. Just do your best and I am sure it'll all work out! <BG>
PS
You might even want to E-mail your tour company ahead of time and let them know that your concerned you maybe a a little late.

Hope this helps you feel better...

Mmketeer....Mariner/Nov.30th