Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Default Renting cars in Hawaii

All

I'm sailing on Serenade of the Seas in May '04 and want to book my own rental cars on the islands. Does anyone have advice/experience doing this? I'm looking for information including where the ship docks at Ensenada, and throughout Hawaii, good/bad places to rent that will bring the car to you, etc.

Thanks!!!!

Theresa
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to BillyC
Default Re: Renting cars in Hawaii

Last spring I cruised to Hawaii from Ensenada. We were in Ensenada long enough to get off the bus and on the ship, so I am not much help there.

As far as the cars go, they don't or won't bring the cars to you, but they have shuttle busses that will come to the cruise ship/terminal and pick you up taking you to either the airport terminal or local rental car place.

My experience follows:

Lihue= Hertz picked up at ship by Hertz shuttle and got my car at the Marriott. Returned the car to the airport and was shuttled back to the ship. Very efficent.

Maui=Hertz picked up at the ship in Lahaina via shuttle and rented from Hertz office in Kaanapali. Returned the car there and was shuttled back to the ship. Very small office and it was a bit time consuming.

Hilo=Hertz pickup at ship and shuttle to Hilo airport where I rented the car for the day. Returned to airport and shuttled back to ship. Don't miss Volcano's National Park here, it's worth the trip!

Kona=Same thing Hertz pickup and shuttle to airport. Kona airport is about 15 minutes from where you are tendered in so, I had to come back and then we were on our way as they would not allow but one person in the party on the shuttle.

Overall the car rental agencies are very familiar with the cruise ships, they rent all the time to them. Make sure you call in advance and not just that day because in places like Hawaii where there is a lot of tourism you might get left out if you don't reserve early.
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:15 PM
Julia Elzie

Hi,

I'm a travel agent and I am very happy to help!

In Ensenada, I think that you should just go with the ground transportation from the cruise lines because boarding will start at mid-day and there probably won't be a lot of time to visit around Ensenada. You might consider taking a taxi - the taxis in Mexico are relatively good, but ask at a hotel or at the airport for a recommendation of a licensed, approved, (i.e. reliable) taxi company.

In Honolulu, you won't need a car because they have fantastic public transportation systems. You will be easily able to get to the sightseeing destinations, shopping on public transportation and it will be cheaper than renting a car.

On the other islands, any of the major car rental companies will have offices, but double-check their location. You would probably need to take a taxi to the offices - taxis will be available at the port. In Maui, the largest car rental facility is at the airport, which is a long way from the port (basically on the other side of the island), but they might have a small location in Kaanapali.

Have a great day!
Julia
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:17 PM
Julia Elzie

Hi,

I'm a travel agent and I am very happy to help!

In Ensenada, I think that you should just go with the ground transportation from the cruise lines because boarding will start at mid-day and there probably won't be a lot of time to visit around Ensenada. You might consider taking a taxi - the taxis in Mexico are relatively good, but ask at a hotel or at the airport for a recommendation of a licensed, approved, (i.e. reliable) taxi company.

In Honolulu, you won't need a car because they have fantastic public transportation systems. You will be easily able to get to the sightseeing destinations, shopping on public transportation and it will be cheaper than renting a car.

On the other islands, any of the major car rental companies will have offices, but double-check their location. You would probably need to take a taxi to the offices - taxis will be available at the port. In Maui, the largest car rental facility is at the airport, which is a long way from the port (basically on the other side of the island), but they might have a small location in Kaanapali.

Have a great day!
Julia