Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Martie
Default Sovereign of the Seas Anyone???

We're taking our first cruise on 3/8/04 to the Bahamas! Woohooo!! We can't wait. My daughter and I are going (leaving the husbands at home). Anyone care to share their experiences?
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sovereign of the Seas Anyone???

My husband and I tool the 3 day back in September for our anniversary. It was our first time sailing RCCL. I was impressed. The service was great, everywhere, and we were not dissapointed with the food selections. I would definitely take that cruise again. It's a nice getaway.

Carnival Fascination - April 2004, October 2005, Dec 2006
Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 2003, April 2005, Oct. 2005, Sept. 2006
Carnival Sensation - September 2007

Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:46 AM
Carley

We live in Orlando and have been on the SOS many times..Never a bad cruise just always tooooooo short..Any questions let me know! You will love the private island!
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have been on the Sovereign for times. Two four nughters and twice for three. Go for four if you can. The extra day at sea is well worth it. The three night is just too short. It is really only two full days. We always try to be onboard by noon the first day. That way you get a full day out of it.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 2nd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Meatballs

... oh Martie, make up your mind !!!!!!
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Joyful

We were on in August, had a great time! We love the "smaller" ship experience.

Service was the best we have ever experienced (have cruised NCL, BSL, Carnival, Regal, and Princess in addition to RCCL), food was good, entertainment wonderful. The cruise director was our only disappointment, but from what I have read on these boards, some folks do not even notice who the CD is, or what they add to the cruise experience, so you may not notice either.

Enjoy! Report when you get back!
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Sovereign of the Seas Anyone???

We took our first cruise on the Sovereign of the Seas back in 1992. My wife had to practicaly drag me on to the ship as I had no interest in going on a cruise. After the first day, I was hooked. The 7 day cruise was not nearly long enough! We will be going on out 17th cruise in January. Like "Dave the Wave" says, go for the 4 night option if you can. You won't regret it.
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Have been on the SoS and it is a good cruise. Last trip was 9/02 and it was pretty worn. The food was good, but the selections seemed limited to us. The CocoCay stop is nice. When you get to the island take the path through the trees on the right, past the BBQ area, about 1/4 mile and you can find some seclusion from the crowds. Not much for snorkeling in this area but there's a Tiki Hut bar close to get drinks.

The midnight sailaway party on the pool deck when leaving Nassau is great. Foods of all different nationalities and grilling steaks and chicken.

The rooms are terribly small though. Pack lightly.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:49 PM
browezilla

This is a fine trip that you're sure to enjoy. You have to work awfully hard to NOT enjoy a cruise (although I know one couple that managed to do so). Cruises are terrific vacations, and RCCL is one of the best for the price. I just wanted to let you know that it only gets better with RCCL. Try their 7 days in the Southern Caribbean. They are terrific.
Old December 7th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce
Default Re: Re: Sovereign of the Seas Anyone???

I know its a ways off but have to wait for dtr to graduate to give her her graduation cuise but can't wait. First on RCCI.
Old December 7th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

I have been on Sovereign for 4 cruises and always it was awesome.

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old December 12th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sailed on Sovereign in April 2003 and it was the best vacation I have ever been on!
Would highly recommend the Jet Ski tour on CocoCay! You and a passenger can drive on one ski or separately, it was $89.00 per jet ski. They take you with a tour guide to 4-5 different stopping points to the Berry Islands. Almost 2-3 miles from the ship. It's very safe and supervised and an experience you'll never forget! Starfish Alley was my favorite. The water was about 6-8ft deep and you could see clear to the bottom. There were starfish everywhere and it was really pretty! Saw some stingrays as well. No sharks! Very, very safe!!! Take an mid morning tour so that you can catch breakfast on the ship, get off the ship and go to the tour, and then have the rest of the day to enjoy the island. I liked CocoCay a lot better than Nassau. Nassau was a very dirty, unsafe island to me. Shopping was ok but it seemed like everyone was selling the same items.
Cabins are small but you're only in them to get dressed, shower, and sleep anyway. Food was great and readily available. They had a chocolate buffet which was a dream come true!!
Be careful in Nassau, my family and I didn't enjoy it much. I understand that the people there, it's their way of life but it was very irritating having people bugging you the minute you step off the pier dock asking you if you need taxis, hair braids, etc..The straw market is OK. Not all that it's cracked up to be. You can bargain with the vendors for souvenirs but be careful and take your time...don't buy the cd's. They are burned cd's! My brother paid $15.00 for one packaged up and everything and when he opened the cd case, it was a burned cd with writing on it! hehehe!
You definitely have to check out the Atlantis hotel! It's amazing!!! Take the Dig tour but don't buy it from Royal Caribbean, take a taxi, the ferry, or walk over and pay for the tour through the hotel. I think it will save you about $20.00 or so! It's an amazing tour with great pictures!
Last of all, you get out what you put into your cruise. That's my biggest regret! This was my first cruise and I was so caught up in the size of the ship and variety of activities that I didn't do as much as I would have liked to. Next time, I'm reading the Compass pamphlet and picking out at least 5 activities to do each day!