Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
ArubaForLife

Default Couldn't stand our aft cabin on Voyager

I'm posting this as a warning to people who are thinking of booking an aft cabin on a Voyager-class ship. Many people love them, but we couldn't stand ours because of the engine noise and vibration. Yeah, we had a great balcony (we were in 8390, which is a corner aft on the 8th deck), but the balcony wasn't worth not being able to sleep at night from the constant vibration and noise. I was ok-- I could sleep through it-- but my husband was exhausted all week because he couldn't stand it. If noise bothers you, you might want to reconsider booking an aft cabin. We just returned from this cruise yesterday and we're still bummed about our cabin. (Other than that, it was a fantastic cruise-- I love the Voyager!!!)
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Couldn't stand our aft cabin on Voyager

Aruba -

Sorry to hear that. I always book aft balcony cabins and have only had one bad experience on one ship (Vision of the Seas/port side) due to a noisy night club. I have just learned to pick the starboard side when booking this particular ship or her sister ships of similiar layout. I have been on Voyager in an aft balcony cabin and loved it!. Sorry your experience was bad. Perhaps certain decks experience more vibration/noise??

Leslie

Vision - 1/11/04
Mercury - 4/11/04
Old December 22nd, 2003, 06:49 PM
RCCL Design Webmaster

Very strange... I stayed in the exact same cabin last february and had no noise or vibration problem at all... there must be something wrong with one of the pods. (?)

Romain
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Les,
We too have an aft balcony cabin, do you remember what cabin you had on Voyager?
Earlier this year we tried it out for the first time on Radiance and loved it, so looking forward to one again, didn't have any engine noise or vibration problem. Just had a major noise problem with the next door neighbors Don't think we'll have that problem on this cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:54 AM
ArubaForLife

That's interesting to hear! It was really, really bad in our cabin. We're laid-back travelers who don't complain about much of anything, but we could barely sleep all week-- everything was rattling and there was just a constant "thrum-thrum-thrum" sound from the engines that was very loud.

I wonder if the weather had something to do with it? We had lousy weather most of the week, with seas of 7.5-12 feet much of the time. Maybe being in large swells like that somehow affects the amount of engine vibration that is produced. Whatever the reason, we'll be back in a mid-ship balcony cabin next time!

(And I have to say, it says a lot for Royal Caribbean and Voyager of the Seas that we STILL loved our cruise, despite this problem! What an awesome ship!)