Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2004, 11:45 PM
chipburger

Default Brilliance of the Seas food

I was just wondering how the food is aboard the Brilliance in the dining rooms, supper clubs, and lido decks. I have heard some complaints in the past about the dining room food is over spiced and the rest of the food is just ok. Just wondering. Going on the Brilliance on December and already excited. Thanks for any help

Chipburger
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Under the Sea

Default Re: Brilliance of the Seas food

I just returned from the New Years cruise.... everything about the ship was lovely except the food in the dining room was atrocious. Well... not atrocious, but simply unacceptable for the money that we paid to come onboard. The dishes were very average, very basic and the meat (steak) was nasty. We complained to the maitre d and he told us that he was aware of the problem and admitted to the poor quality of meat. Other than that ,the food in the windjammer was pretty good. Sea view cafe was great too. I never tried Potofinos and Chops but i hear it was excellent.
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Parrot Mom

We were on the BOS on it's first trans-Atlantic and I was surprised at the mediocre food considering raves from past RCI cruisers. Portofino was definetely wonderful.. We NEVER do buffets, but the Sea View Buffet was excellent. The big story is a friend went on the same ship from Florida and his comment was that "he's had better chicken at Wendy's". The service in the dining room at lunch and breakfast was absolutely indifferent and many past cruisers on RCIwere very upset. I think among other reasons that I will NEVER cruise RCI again was the comment made as we waited to disembark (and I could write a book on that experience) in Boston.. a comment I made to a gentleman who sold cruises on the ship...his name was Franklin...and when I told him how disappointed I was he said "what do you expect from a cheap cruise".. I will repeat this under oath to anybody and anyplace and I believe I have it documented, but that is another story. Two of the couples at our table had done back to back..Baltic to Harwich to Boston..one is a Judge in Dade County in Florida and the other one is a Asst. D.A. in L.A... cheap cruise indeed!! Our next cruise was on the NCL Sea last September..a line and ship that most of the passengers on the ship absolutely turned their nose up at.. I cannot tell you of the wonderful staff inthe dining room at ALL meals who if we have to inconvenience them coming in a few minutes late were extremely gracious and acccomodating. There is no doubt that the Brilliance of the Seas is a magnificent ship...gorgeous art work and design except in one area....but it's the staff that makes a ship.. Put me on a tug boat and if the staff is friendly I'm happy..Not on RCI BOS
Old January 10th, 2004, 12:55 PM
hcat

This is disappointing. We are booked for Brilliance to Panama Canal next spring & are looking forward to it. Food on Royal is usually pedestrian but eatable. This sounds worse--I would appreciate comments from others! We are not in a cheap category by any means & do not expect more than basic meals on Royal but food that is sub-par isn't too good. We are booked on Celeb Summit his spring& there are entire threads devoted to food cutbacks--maybe it is company-wide????? Also--dear friend I am a judge & found your class oriented remarks interesting to say the least. Being an atty or judge or doctor does not indicate level of cruise selected or whether or nor a person is cheap , thrify , on a tight budget or generous or a spendthrift-or a lottery winner!-it's an individual trait....Nevertheless I think we all like decent food & look forward to something special on vacation.
Old January 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM
sn2792

Default Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas food

I am booked on BOS this spring for Panama. In the past I have not had any problems with the staff . It has seemed like the food quality is declining, We have started to explore other lines, but are concerned over the average age we hear about on more upscale lines. If this cruise turns out poorly , we will definately look to other lines in the future. All the best for your cruise.
Old January 10th, 2004, 04:47 PM
DonD

Default Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas food

When they started adding upscale restaurants with an additional cost on the cruise ships my guess was that they would start to downscale the food in the dinning rooms. Maybe before too long we will be eating in a Windjammer type food line or paying extra for the food.
It is my guess that this will go industry wide.
Those that want the very best food will pay for it just as we do now with the cabins.
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas food

I find most of the above a bit unfair. We sailed on the Brilliance in August 03 (Europe)and the food in all the restaurants was of good quality. Dining room service was excellent and if I did not like what I ordered, it was no problem for them to take it away and replace with another dish.

This was not because I thought the dish was not up to standard, but just me being my fussy self.

Very early in the cruise, we did have a problem in Windjammers in that the food was tepid and not warm, but once pointed out to the restaurant manager it never happened again for the rest of the cruise.

Great ship, great service. Enjoy it Chipburger and hcat