Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Kathristin

Default Should I Book My Own Flight?

My fiance and I are sailing on the RCCL's Mariner to the Eastern Caribbean on May 2. It is our honeymoon and our first cruise, so we have no idea what to expect.

My biggest question right now is do you recommend booking the flight with RCCL or doing it yourself? If you book through the cruiseline you have no control over what flight you're put on, it could be at 6 in the morning and have transfers. Plus I can get a much cheaper nonstop flight myself. My only fear is if the flight will be delayed and I'll miss the boat. I would book my flight gettting into Orlando, Fl about 6 hours before scheduled departure and although I don't think a flight would be delayed for that long in NJ in May, you never know.

If I book the flight myself should I get their traveler's insurance? Does that offer any protection for delays on flight that you book yourself? Would they reimburse me anything for "catch up" travel if we had to fly to the Bahamas to meet up with the ship there?

I also had another, unrelated question. How much are cosmos and flavored martinis on the ship?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM
natross1

Default Re: Should I Book My Own Flight?

Although my first cruise is this coming weekend....I would recommend booking your own flight... My mom and dad are going on the cruise also and their flight got bumped back to 6pm the day we get back when they were originally scheduled to leave at 1pm!! They are not happy at all. That is the risk you take, per our travel agent.

I would def get insurance, in case your flight is delayed...hopefully you can find another route..not through Newark.

Good luck!
Natalie
Old January 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM
rmcg1975

We always book our own flight and we have never had a problem. We are lucky to live close to JFK so we use Jet Blue. We love them!! Jet Blue to Fort Lauderdale and then ground to Miami. Jet Blue does not fly into Miami yet.
Old January 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Kath, I would think that your flight in at that time would be no problem. You should expect at least a wait of 2 hours though before the time you arrive at the port and the time you board.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old January 11th, 2004, 06:37 PM
hcat

Weather should not be a problem in May & if its a nonstop flight you should do OK--just get the ins & make sure your connections to ship are good. I think you can get transfers from cruiseline even if you book your own air- Congratulations on your wedding!
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Kathristin

Default Re: Re: Should I Book My Own Flight?

Thanks everyone for all your help! I am going to go with the tranfers through Royal Caribbean. I think it actually turns our cheaper than from a taxi service.
I can't wait to go on my first cruise!!