Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Default Family on different flights!

I just booked a cruise for the 02/14/04 sailing of Explorer of the Seas. I've cruised a few times before, but it's the first time I've made arrangements myself. I called RCCL directly. There are four of us: husband, 14-year-old twins, and myself. We have cabin assignments directly across from one another; though, on the paperwork, they assigned my husband in the cabin with one twin, and myself with the other child. We have two separate confirmation numbers. I assumed this had to do with them being minors and was assured by the RCCL booking agent that this could be changed on-board. Just prior to booking the cruise, I checked into airfares myself, and found that I could do no better on fares at this late date than what the cruiseline could, so I just allowed RCCL to book our flights. Unfortuntely, we are not only on different flights, we are on different airlines, leaving 1 1/2 hours apart and arriving in Miami about 1 1/2 hours apart (one adult traveling with each child). It's disappointing to say the least. I called RCCL today, and their airline department told me there was nothing they could do. It concerns me somewhat that we will end up with more of this type of separation throughout the cruise. Separate transfers from the airport, separate disembarkments, separate dining tables, etc. Any advice (besides to book my own air travel in the future - !)? Susan
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2004, 06:09 AM
salem5050

Default Re: Family on different flights!

Holy Cow!
Never hear of cruise line booking separate flights, we book cruises and there are sometimes 10 of us and we are on same flight and sit together usually.

Mary Margaret
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nag,
I too have never heard of this?? Were you working with a travel agent?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Once on board the ship you should not have a problem. You have already been assigned rooms, right? If your booking number on the ship is the same for all, you will have the same table for dinner.

I've never heard of them booking different airlines though.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Because you've just booked this, I'm not totally surprised with the air arrangements. The cruise lines have contracts with various carriers to transport their guests. Likely that from your destination, at this late date, contract seats on the same flights were not available.

This should have NO impact in your onboard reservations. TA should have cross referenced the families bookings.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Family on different flights!

Actually, the agent at RCCL booked us in the two separate rooms, with two completely separate confirmation numbers.
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Passenger

No, I booked directly through RCCL's reservations number.
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Well, that's what I figured, too. Of course, when I checked on Orbitz.com, I could have gotten us on flights together with no problem at all. But, as my husband pointed out, perhaps RCCL is only allocated so many seats? I don't know... I'm baffled.

As if it's not enough of a worry whether or not your connections will go smoothly and you will make it to the pier in time, now we must worry if we will ALL make it on time. My husband and son are booked on Delta through Atlanta; my daughter and I on Northwest through Memphis - all out of Louisville, Kentucky. Delta is one thing... but I have NEVER gotten anywhere on time on Northwest. In fact, I never book myself on Northwest.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!!
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
dhughes

Isn't it amazing. The cruise line makes a mistake and splits a family up and their response is "sorry". If they did not have final payment I bet you would have got a different response.
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Passenger

Hi Kuki,

I recognize your name now... read a couple of your article here on Cruisemates!

I called RCCL again today, after reading some of the responses here. They assure me that we will all be seated together for meals. We must be cross-referenced, because they only asked for one confirmation number in order to give me the answer to the question about seating. I thought about calling the RCCL airline booking line again, but haven't had the time to do it. They told me yesterday when I called the first time to get our flight information and expressed my surprise at the news that we were on separate flights/airlines that if I had read their policies I would know that flights together were not guaranteed when booking. They also said they might be able to do some sort of custom reservation, and fly us all out the day before departure, if I would pay an extra $35 per person for the change.

But, again, with this late date, perhaps I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that we all get to Miami on time!

Susan
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Passenger

Hi Kuki,

I recognize your name now... read a couple of your article here on Cruisemates!

I called RCCL again today, after reading some of the responses here. They assure me that we will all be seated together for meals. We must be cross-referenced, because they only asked for one confirmation number in order to give me the answer to the question about seating. I thought about calling the RCCL airline booking line again, but haven't had the time to do it. They told me yesterday when I called the first time to get our flight information and expressed my surprise at the news that we were on separate flights/airlines that if I had read their policies I would know that flights together were not guaranteed when booking. They also said they might be able to do some sort of custom reservation, and fly us all out the day before departure, if I would pay an extra $35 per person for the change.

But, again, with this late date, perhaps I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that we all get to Miami on time!

Susan
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just sailed on Vision, and had a similar reservation configuration with my husband in one room with two kids, and me in the other with one child. We drove to the ship, so didn't have your air problem. Anyway, just wanted to reassure you that once we were on the ship we were free to switch the sleeping arrangements. When we checked in, we were all allowed to go in the priority line, even though one of our rooms was interior. We also easily had all seapass charges put on one card. You can also request a key card for your children's room as well as your own. We were seated correctly at dinner, and we were given the correct disembarcation tags. We were travelling with another family, and even though we had different confirmation numbers, our reserveations were correctly cross-referenced. If you have any problems at all, just talk to your cabin steward or, if necessary the purser. It was a breeze for us, and I'm sure that once you get on your ship, it will be for you too!
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Passenger

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you so much. Your post is VERY comforting to hear!

Susan