Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Default seranade of the sea

anyone else going on seranade on March 20th 2004? I've been searching the boards for the last month and I haven't heard from anyone yet. I can't even get an answer from someone who has already been on it. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2004, 08:20 PM
bill&marti

Default Re: seranade of the sea

If you are searching based the your spelling of the ship's name you won't find anything. The correct spelling is Serenade. There are all kinds of threads out there. Good luck!

Old January 17th, 2004, 08:35 PM
salem5050

We were on the Serenade in Sept. She is a wonderful ship, if you have any questions contact me. It is really easy to find your way around the ship , make sure you eat in Portifinos, it was amazing!! Any questions feel free to ask me.

Mary Margaret
Navagator 20. 2004
Old January 18th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: seranade of the sea

thanks bill and marti. I found a thread but I still think we are on a ghost ship.
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Just Me

Default Re: Re: Re: seranade of the sea

I just got back from the 7 day southern caribbean cruise on the Serenade. It is a beautiful ship. We were very disappointed in the variety and quality of the food on the ship. Also, a lot of the crew members were very rude. If you asked them a question, they responded as though you were bothering them. This was my 5th cruise and probably the most disappointing one. I hope they change their menu and hire some friendly crew members.
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Passenger

I am still looking for someone on the serenade March 20th 2004.

ANYBODY?
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:08 PM
Retiredlpd

My wife and I along with 22 other people from a national organization went on the Serenade of the Seas on 11/15/03. We also found the food very substandard and the crew was very unfriendly and rude. Would not advise anyone to take this ship or cruise line.
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:42 PM
valtandc

i was on the serenade and contrary to previous negative review, the cruise was exceptional.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
dee-lynn

my TA from Whitby, Ontario. I am on the Brilliance March 29/04. I can hardly wait!!!
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:12 PM
counsdr

Have you gone to cruisecritic.com? They have a Roll Call for their sailings and you can sign up for their meet and mingle parties. I think you'll have better luck.
I'm going on 4/10 and i've found a great bunch of people on that site.
Good luck and be sure to post your thoughts when you get back.
Old January 25th, 2004, 06:29 PM
very unhappy

just returned from serenade of the seas. crew was very rude. food was awful. the ship tilted so bad the last night that all the water came out of the two pools lots of glass breaking people screaming elevator not working people seriously hurt crew not helpful fire on fourth floor. toilets during the trip overflowed. the medical facility at one time had a back up of over 4 hours to see a doctor. no one seemed to care. the captain did not come on the loudspeaker for at least 45 minutes and at that time he just said everything is under control. it was a nightmare i would not recommend this cruise line to anyone. talked to many people who had been on cruises before with this line and other lines and they all were saying the same thing this cruise was a terrible experience and there should be a complete investigation of why this all happened.
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
hcat

Any other input on this ship & sailing--sounds like a curse or very bad luck! Who is the godmother/father of this ship? But you really can't judge the line by one bad time--try Enchantment it was the best ship, staff & cruise (food OK, not great)
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Passenger

i will continue to sail with rci but i agree that the cruise staff on the serenade was one of ther worst ive experienced on their line..ive been on seven previous and this had the worst staff and entertainment..dont believe it is the ship itself but just pot luck with crew assignments...whoopi goldberg is the godmother
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Beginner

We were on this cruise. We had the best service we've ever had on RCCL. Our room steward was great. He put up with a lot as there were 5 women in our one suite. He did a great job picking up after us and never complained all the days we weren't out of the cabin until after noon. He always had a smile on his face. Since we were lucky enough to be in a suite, we had access to the Concierge Lounge. Marista was in charge, and was being assisted by Michel. This was Marista's last week before a 7 week vacation. Michel would take over for her during those 7 weeks. Even with her mind racing ahead toward vacation, as we are sure it must have been, she did a fantastic job! She was very attentive to our needs, helpful with shore excursions and questions about the islands. She made our experience in the lounge one to remember. She made us want to come back every evening for appetizers and cocktails. Our waiter was good, but our assistant waiter was outstanding. We never wished or wanted for anything. And he had such a cute personality! He was from St. Lucia and was anxious to be off during that day to visit family. I'm sorry others had problems with service. But even with the scary event of the listing we had a fabulous trip! I would book another cruise on her in a heartbeat. This was my 7th RCCL. And Serenade is one of my favorites!

Old January 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I, too, was on this sailing and was very disappointed. The ship is lovely, my stateroom was fine. That's about the only positve things I can say. Saw the stateroom attendent the first day and asked for ice to be in room in late afternoon. He informed me he does the room morning and evening only. Food was below average. The windjammer food was much better than the dining room. Waiter & Asst. were very slow. Most tables were eating dessert while we waited for entree. When we asked him if he could serve faster, he told is it was very far from the table to the kitchen. He seemed to be the only waiter to have a problem with the distance. Shows were mediocre, except for 2 performers I've seem better at high school productions.
I found the ship hard to get around compared to Voyager class. I also thought it seemed more crowded than the Voyager class. The listing incident the last night was very scary and the Captain's explanation of "steering malfunction" didn't reassure anyone. A case of too little too late.
All in all a real disappointment. I am a long time cruiser and will continue to cruise but will go on Voyager class if I want RCCL.
Norma
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
elmer433

Deppong3
I'm sure you will like your cruise, it's better than being at home in the cold. Just beware if you are going on the Serenade, there is a guy in the dining room who will dare you to lick your plate clean for a dollar, but when you do, he won't pay you the dollar! How embarrassing!
Old January 30th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Passenger

Elmer433
I can't beleive that they would do something that juvenile on such a classy ship. Well I guess as the saying goes"whatever floats your boat"elmer433 wrote:
Old January 30th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Passenger

dont you think that maybe the reason for poor service and bad food might be because it is a fairly new ship and they are still working the kinks out. All of the other RCI ships seem to be great. I hope this one is too!
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Were on the Serenade this past Aug. Beautiful ship. Service in the dining room was slow. Chops and Portifino was excellent. navigating around the ship is easy. Staff was friendly. Will continue to cruise on Radiance Class ships!
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:18 AM
my $.02

We were on the Serenade on it's 3rd cruise this past Sept. LOVED it and love the Radiance class. Maybe this time it is just a bad crew mix, or toward the end of the contracts. Who knows, but our cruise was great.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM
BM

I replied to your message on the RCCL message section - we are going March 20 on the Serenade! Family of four - kids 10 and 12! Have read many many more positive reports on other boards than negative ones!
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Beginner

I was just wondering if anyone who was on the January 17-24 sailing of the Serenade of the Seas has heard anything from RCCL as to why we had that drastic listing and jarring event on Friday night. I was hoping for some type of encouragement from RCCL to soothe us distraught passengers, who feared that the ship would capsize or be engulfed by the fire on the 4th floor, to sail with them again. Any chance for some discount coupons? Has anyone written to the cruise line or received anything from RCCL about this incident.

Inquiring passenger just wants to know.

Nancy
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:49 AM
kahliasmom

I am in shock about all of the negative reviews. I was on the Serenade for the Jan 17 cruise and despite the listing incident which was pretty scary, I decided to stay on for the Jan 24 and Jan 31 cruises as well. I had one of the best vacations of my life.!!!! I only experienced one person being rude and he was being helpful it was just his tone of voice that took me back a bit, ( but I got over it!) because everyone else on the ship was so nice and many people seemed to go out of their way to do that little extra. I could go on and on about how nice the crew was to me and my daughter. I am sure it helped that I had a cute little two year old that everyone talked to and then my staying on was a conversation starter with many of the crew, as well as the bonding experience of ship listing incident. Bringing that up always started up a good conversation.

My stateroom attendent on Deck 7, Nayomon from Indonesia was very nice. He would give extra chocolates to my daughter. When we changed decks for weeks two and three, each time he spoke to the stateroom attendent on that floor and made sure that we were well taken care of and had lotions and a bathrobe put in our room. We'd often go down and say hello after dinner and he would play with my daughter and give her chocolates. For doing three cruises he arranged it so that my daughter could get this child sized carry on with the Adventure Ocean logo on it. She loved it and brought it with her everywhere the rest of the cruise. Our waiter Ismail from Turkey was the best!! He was very nice and really wanted to make sure that we had a great dining experience. He has a daughter at home a little older than my daughter so he took really good care of her. We kept him as our waiter for our second and third cruises and after a while we didn't even have to order. We would just go in the dining room and he would serve us something immediately and it was just what I had wanted to order. Amazing. A few times my daughter fell asleep at dinner and he went out of his way to get some of the linen table cloths for her and made a little bed for her so I could enjoy the rest of my dinner. Marc from Australia in the Windjammer was very nice also. Whenever I went up there in the afternoon or evening and they were no longer serving juice he would get some for my daughter. On our last morning when we were up in the Windjammer getting breadfast, he asked me what I wanted to eat. He brought it to us minutes later. He even went to the omlet station and had an omlet made to order for me. Very nice!!! Rick in the Crown and Anchor lounge was also very helpful. When I needed to call my airline to change my flight he went out of his way to get a crew phone card so I wouldn't have to pay $7.95 a minute. Guest relations did end up giving me a complimentary call.

I just have to say that I can't believe people didn't like the entertainment. Someone said that they had seen better talent in high school. Jeez. Everyone I talked to thought that the entertainment was great. I guess that's why the whole theater gave many of the performances standing ovations. I thought that the costumes and sets were outstanding and the performances great as well. You are on a cruise in the middle of winter, what is there to complain about.?

I guess this thread is like that thread 'what is your least favorite island' Everyone has their own opinion and while one person can have a great experience another will have
an absolutely horrible one on the same ship or on the same island. I can't imagine having a horrible experience on a cruise unless you are looking for reasons to complain. Again, you are on a cruise for crying out loud, in the winter away from the cold what more can a person ask for? The food I thought was great. I have had better or maybe it was just eating from the same menu for three weeks, but when someone is serving me and I don't have to cook what is there to complain about. I heard one lady complain about the ship and I couldn't believe it. She said that the food was like Denny's food, the dining room staff weren't in sync, there weren't enough elevators and the rooms were too small. I told some other people about her comments and they thought that that was ridiculous. They thought the food and the service was excellent, and even loved their interior cabin as they had gotten the best sleep in years. Some people are easier to please I guess.

I loved having the opportunity to meet people from different countries. I think if you are nice, the crew will be nice. If you strike up a conversation with them, they will be more than happy to talk to you. When I hear how some act toward the crew it isn't any wonder that they may not be outwardly friendly, though I never found that to be the case. One of the dining room staff was asking me how I was enjoying myself and I said that I was having a great time and that everyone was so nice. He said to me "because you are nice" I asked '"that makes a difference'" and he said "yes". That is just human nature, if you are nice to someone they will be nice to you. I can't wait to cruise again and would go on the Serenade in a heartbeat.
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM
kahliasmom

Nancy,

I was talking to a couple of the crew about the listing incident and this explanation seems to make the most sense. My stateroom attendent said that when the ship is going to a US port as we were heading to San Juan the next day, the captain has to test the steering. On the Jan 31 cruise he did actually announce that he would be slowing down to do some steering trials as required by the US Coast Guard, but I don't remember an announcement like that on the Jan 17 cruise. What happened was that when the captain made a turn the computer was set for a different speed then what we were actually going and this caused the dramatic list. I think the computer was set for making a turn at a higher speed then what we were actually going. Why they couldn't explain that to everyone is beyond me. When I remained on the ship for the Jan 24 cruise the captain came over the PA system and thanked the crew and told them just what he had told us, that there was a malfunction of the steering. I heard that there was $17,000 in damage in the dining room alone. I got a huge bruise on the back of my leg when I bolted out of my chair that was next to the deck 5 balcony in panic and tried to get my daughter out of her high chair. My waiter was about to get life jackets, but then the ship righted itself. He said he never saw anything like that and keep saying that we were lucky. My mother said that she heard that there was a little girl that lost a couple of fingers because they were caught in a door. I think that there will be a lot of lawsuits, but it was an accident that could happen on any ship and I will still sail with RCI.
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Kahliasmom:

You are so lucky to have been able to stay on for two additional cruises on the Serenade! I would love to do that sometime. Just decide to rebook and do it. But I'm curious about how you made all the arrangements to continue on the next week, and what made you decide to do this Too bad you had to change cabins -- repack and all. Here's a practical question -- what did you do about dirty clothers?

I love RCCL - we've been on 7 cruises with them so far, and I'm sure we'll be on another this time next year if not before. As I mentioned before, the service I received on the Serenade was the best we had ever had! And I loved the Radiance class ships --

Nancy
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
kahliasmom

Nancy,

I was able to rebook by going to the Crown and Anchor lounge on our last day at sea. There was a deadline to book, you had to book for the next cruise by !:00pm which I was able to do both times. I guess when it came time to pack I realized I didn't want to leave and since I am in between jobs, I thought why not. It was sad to watch everyone else leave knowing I would have to leave sometime too, but it was nice not to have to get off those couple of weeks. By booking through Crown and Anchor, I received $100 shipboard credit each time, which was nice. Gabriella the first week and then Rick the second week were very helpful. Both times I was given a complimentary call, to call my airline and change my flight. The first time I changed my flight, the airline only charged a penalty of $25 for each ticket and the second time someone more knowledgable about the fees, I guess, charged me much more. Oh well.

As for clothes, I brought enough clothes for about a week and a half. I am also a compulsive hand washer of clothes. I have favorite things that sometimes I wash and wear more than once even during a weeks vacation. I had brought some packets of tide liquid detergent and also some oxy clean with me. So I just washed my clothes in the sink and hung them in the bathroom, room or discreetly on the balcony on the backs of the chairs. Nice to hear that someone else also enjoyed the Serenade. I was beginning to feel like I had my heads in the clouds or something as so many others posted that they had a bad time and the crew was rude. I received excellent service also. I don't really have much to compare my cruise experience to as this was only my second, third and fourth cruises lol. My first one was out of Hawaii, how could that be bad, with a cruise line that went out of business. I had such a good time on the Serenade. I am booked to go on the Adventure next year and can't imagine liking it as much as I liked the Serenade. It is such a beautiful ship.

Jeaniene
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: seranade of the sea

Your head was not in the clouds. We were on the Jan 24th cruise with you and absolutely loved it. I would go on the Serenade of the Seas again tomorrow if I could afford it. Everyone we met was wonderful, and our room steward, Frederick, was the best. We are cruising on the Explorer of the Seas next winter, and I can't wait to see how the two compare. Happy cruising!
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:50 AM
kahliasmom

Julie,

Glad to hear you had a good time as well. When we're lucky enough to have excellent crew assisting us that helps. Have a great time on the Explorer! I like that itinerary, it will be one I will have to do in the future.

Jeaniene
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

I think with all the comments, this just shows that we don't all see the same thing the same way.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that some encountered, and hope that those that were rude will either straighten up or ship out.
We are part of a large group going in May on the Serenade, and hope that things have improved by then.
We have only encountered one waiter that was substandered, and we told him that if he didn't want us at his table, we would request a table change-my what a difference, and if he hadn't changed his attitude, we would have gone to the Head Waiter. No one should have to be treated rudely on a cruise, nor should they tolerate it. 99.9% of our cruises have been delightful, and although there are some more friendly than others, I think MOST crews do an exceptional job, considering the long hours and hard work.
Usually on the first day of a cruise we put in our request for what we would like on a daily basis, such as ice in the bucket daily, or extra blankets, pillows, or whatever, and have yet to have a problem. I don't care if I see the steward everyday (although I love it when we have a good relationship), but if they get their job done-I am happy!

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old February 14th, 2004, 03:12 PM
mIKE490

Hi nancy:

We were also on the Jan 17th sailing of the Serenade( Hi Jeanine!!) and while we DID enjoy the cruise we also had our complaints. First, a truly beautiful ship, nice cabin and a great port schedule. Unfortunately the food was just OK and I truly never had anything that was WONDERFUL. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We did see , or should I say SMELL, the overflowing toilets on deck 8. The defining incident was the listing on the last night. I don't mind saying I was nervous as heck and one member of our party was EXTREMELY freaked!! I did NOT find the Captain's anouncement comforting or timely enough for me. NO ONE inquired as to our safety or comfort at all after the emergency was dealt with. I realize first things first but a follow up note to all who sailed from RCCL would have seemed appropriate to me. We did email RCCL but have not heard anything and really don't expect them to do anything. Our group would NOT book another RCCL cruise based on our experience as a whole. There are many other ways to enjoy a vacation. Sorry if my comments are so negative but I found all the message boards to be very helpful to me and I am truly relaying the feelings of our group of 6 who traveled together. See Ya Mike