Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:15 PM
Freda

Default Belize, Please

I am going on a cruise with my 10 yr old son, my sister and her family. They will be doing the river raft trip. I want to do the Lamanai and New River excursion. I refuse to go that far without seeing some of the ruins and with the boat ride, I thought this one might be the most fun for him. This one day is MY trip, but I do want him to enjoy it as well. He is an intelligent boy, so I am hoping he won't be bored. Any opinions? I really want to see more of the country than I could from the inside of a cave, though I do love caves and it does sound fun. Also, with the ship sponsored trip, I don't imagine it would be ill-advised for a single woman and child to go alone. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. :-)
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Belize, Please

While the cave tubing is fun it is your vacation and you should do what you want to. Viewing the ruins and taking a river cruise is a wonderful excursion and you should enjoy it very much. Lots to see and learn. A 10 yr old will probably not be allowed to do the cave tubing, (insurance reasons), but certainly can go on the tour you want and yes, you will be safe and well taken care of.
Jim

Old February 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Freda,

I ha dbeen thinking the same thing! Cave tubing sounds great, but I want to see more of the country. Let me know what you end up doing.

The minimum age for cave tubing is 10, so your son should be able to go if you chose that option.

dorothy
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Colin Gillett

Default Re: Re: Belize, Please

My friends;
I am a tourist guide from Belize City engaged in marine and land based tours here in Belize. I can make arrangements for you to do these same tours you mentioned for up to 20% less than what the cruise ship tours costs with same value. Please contact me if interested for I can make your 8 hours stay here in Belize exciting and positively memorable.

I thank you.
Colin Gillett
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM
GippyP

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize, Please

I have done both of these trips when I spent a couple of weeks in Belize. Both are amazing. My husband and I took 5 children ages 6-15 to the Lamani ruins and none of them had any problems. The only things I remember that weren't "great" were the mosquitos, and in parts of the ruins, there seemed to be very little air flow with a humidity of 100%. Neither of these things would ever keep me from going again. Cave tubing was also incredible - I went to Jaguar Paw. I don't know if that is available thru the ships, but was definitely something I would do again. The only hint for both of these places is to dress appropriately. Have fun!
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize, Please

Dear Gippy: What's your advice about dressing appropriately for Lamanai? Because we weren't sure if there would be shade on the boat, and also because of what we heard about mosquitoes, we thought we could bring long, very light-weight pants and light long sleeved shirts. We're also bringing hats and very heavy-duty bug repellent. Do you think the long pants and long-sleeved shirts are a good idea? I read on one post that someone said it was so hot it was better to wear shorts and slather oneselves with the bug stuff. What do you think?

Norwegian Majesty, Bermuda

Veendam, Western Caribbean
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Kelsy Mead

I'm sure that the Lamanai excursion is great too but we did the X-stream cave tubing trip and it was excellent, I truely think we saw the best of Belize;-) We had a 10 year old or 11 year old on our excursion. We only had 9 in our group(X-stream only takes 14 people max ) so our guide was able to keep a close eye on her. I wouldn't go in a big group with a child that young personally.

We learned a lot about Belize from our Guide and we saw a wonderful area of the jungle during our walk and the caves where incredible. I haven' done the Lamanai excursion but we did see Tulum when we were in Cozumel and it was really interesting.
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM
GippyP

Amelia,
In regards to your question about dress, it was waaaay to hot for me to even consider long "anything". We all wore shorts, tank tops, and good athletic-type sandals. I have long hair, and it was even too hot for that to be worn down. Just get some serious mosquito repellant at a sporting goods store, and you will be OK. I also did not take Lariam (anti-malarial med), and did OK. Do keep in mind that Belize is truly a third-world country, so it is a bit "primative". We truly love Belize, and will return to vacationing there once our teen-agers are out of the house!

Good luck!
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Belize, Please

Thanks Gippy--really helpful advice. I will bring the long stuff "just in case" but I'm investing in some really heavy duty bug stuff to go with my shorts. Also, weather.com keeps saying chance of showers--this could not mean an all-day rain, could it? Did it rain at all on your trip? Thanks again and good luck planning your next trip!

Norwegian Majesty, Bermuda

Veendam, Western Caribbean
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Dr Bob

Make sure to use a sun screen lotion with an insect repellent. My family used it and were fine. A friend of of mine didn't and got bitten upper pretty bad.