Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Beginner

Default Cozumel & Costa Maya Excursions???

Hi Everyone,

This June my wife, children (age 15,12,10) and I will be cruising the Western Caribbean for the first time. We love to snorkel and have fun at the beach. We are also interested in the Mayan Ruins in the area. Any recommendations for Cozumel or Costa Maya (Chacchoben or Kohunlich???) would very much be appreciated. Would it be better to book through RCI or through a local excursion operator?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:44 AM
b.

Default Re: Cozumel & Costa Maya Excursions???

We have snokeled twice in Cozumel -- by chance, I think the same company both times, but different locations. Both times very good snorkeling, good experience. Booked through the ship. Other people at our dinner table did visit the ruins and really liked doing so. I have heard that you spend a lot of time just getting to the ruins and it is HOT.

Costa Maya last spring was a different matter. At least at that time, it was a "not ready for prime time" port, in my opinion. We'd heard that RC was developing it as a replacement for Jamaica, which would be a shame to lose Dunn's River Falls. The snorkeling trip we did on CM, the only one available through the ship at the time and maybe still, was not well organized and they actually ran out of equipment for our group! In fact, my husband and I didn't get life vests and had to use these crummy boogie boards, which did not cut easily through the water at all. A total disappointment and spent most of our time thrashing around in the water, trying unsuccessfully to keep up with the group...hate to think what inexperienced snorkelers would have faced. CM does have a lovely huge pool right off the very long pier and it's in sort of a cultural area with shops, some native performers, etc. That was popular and pretty; otherwise, I'd have to be convinced to get off the ship at that port. Anyway, no matter what you do, it will be fun and relaxing.
Old February 21st, 2004, 01:02 PM
hcat

We booked the snokeling through the ship in CM. It was a great bus trip through the country (A/C coach)& we had a great bus driver explaining things.. The snorkeling was very profesional but the bathroom there was a bit sketchy with a barking dog on the other side of the wall. Also found the water rough. But we had a nice trip & then returned back for a bit of shopping & music in the made up village. It is very hot--wear a hat!
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:09 PM
seawench

My sister & family & I went to Playa Sol, booked through the ship.
The bad weather prevented us from enjoying the place - too windy for the beach toys, sailboats, etc.
And it was cold!!!
[I'm from Florida & like the water to be warm]
No one was snorkeling in the area where we were.

SW
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Beginner

All,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Decisions, decisions!

Brian