Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Default Rude People

Went on deck this morning (I'm on VOS) at around 10:30 to find the deck almost completely empty. There was not a single chair available however as everyone had come up to put a towel and book on all the chairs. We were finally able to find a couple of chairs and laid out. After about 1/2 hour, a guy walks bye and throws the towel off the chair in front of me. 15 minutes later, an irrate woman comes up to him to tell him that it is "her chair" and starts whining to the security guy on deck that she was gone for 5 minutes to get a cup of coffee. I chimed in that I had been there for at least 1/2 hour and had not seen her. Anyway, the whole area I was in was completely empty except for my wife and I and dozens of towels and novels. The best was yet to come however.

A short while later, a couple had taken a couple of chairs near us. After about 45 minutes, another irate women comes over and starts yelling at them for "stealing" her chair. She actually said (out loud) I came up here this morning and put my stuff here. I went to watch a movie and I come back and my chairs are stolen. Can you believe the gaul?

All the while, people are *****ing and moaning that the ship should have more chairs. The only fault of the cruise line is selling tickets to these insanely rude people!

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Rude People

Now why am I not surprised by all this. Hope you are having a blast there. And kudos to those who rightly took the empty chairs!

richard

Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
khevann

Default Re: Re: Rude People

On the Navigator they had "deck patrol". These people would mark saved chairs and if the people were not back within a half hour they would remove the towels and give the chairs to someone else.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
First Mate

Can't let a few bad apples ruin the vaca. Had a wonderful time. The ship is still fantastic and the crew was very accomodating.

The poor deck patrol was trying but everyone left books or sunblock or other items on the chairs making it very difficult for them. Lesson learned: don't book during holiday weeks and switch to Celebrity or smaller RCL ships. ( I heard of similar probs on Rapsody howerver).

Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to ydoodle

I've never yet got a seat even remotely close to the pool because so many of them are "saved". After wandering around, we usually end up finding something on the deck above. Resorts in the Caribbean are the same way. I've always wished there was some way of ending this practice.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

I suggest that since the crew refuses to do anything about it we start a secret society of chair liberators. Get enough people tossing books off unused charis and it will change
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Parrot Mom

Default Rude People

Happiness was finding a resort in the D.R. where there are so many chaises around the pool and on the beach that at 10:00 a.m. there are lots of places in the shade. Went to a resort years ago when at 8:00 a.m. all chairs on the beach were taken with towels, books, etc... and all chaises around the pool were in thesame condition. Went to the manager of the resort.. told him I would not be spending my $$ there and why..also would not recommend resort. He assured me that I could sit on the sand at the beach.. I told this "gentleman".. that Idid not save my $$ every year for a week in the winter at his resort to sit on the sand so i could have one swim in the ocean.... and we took off to a remote beach. The next a.m. he emptied the chaises at the beach and pool of all the "reserved: items and I heard there was chaos..lol. On the BOS had put my items on a chair in the enclosed pool area after breaking my wrist the day before..went to have breakfast and found my items IN THE WATER and a rude European telling me I should not put anything on a chair..therewere other chairs available, but he wanted those two particular ones...
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
First Mate

I can't really blame the crew for not getting in the middle of this. They do the best they can to remove towels. When people leave personal items on the chairs and go off to a movie or breakfast, there is not much they can do that would not incite a riot.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
hcat

It really is up to the staff to monitor it--& it has been done nicely on many ships--