Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Beth L

Default Royal Caribbean Shore Excusion Suggestions for St. Thomas?

My boyfriend and I are going on Navigator of the Seas on March 13-20. We would love to go to Trunk Bay while we are in St. Thomas. I heard that this was THE beach to go to. Any suggestions on how to get there. Should we cab it on our own or take one of Royal Caribbean's shore excusions?

Thanks, Beth L.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Laira

Default Re: Royal Caribbean Shore Excusion Suggestions for St. Thoma

I would definetly cab it on your own. While we were there, the taxis were abundant and trust worthy. And much cheaper than going through RCI. Don't fall into the "St. Thomas is the shopping capitol of the Caribbean" line. If you are a millionare maybe, but not for the average American. There are good deals, if you want to spend $1000 on a watch. For my time and money, the beaches are definetly the way to go. You may look into catching the ferry to St. John. The beaches are just as beautiful and less crowded. Not a very expensive or long ferry ride either. Have fun!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
jlynd53

Definitely go to Trunk Bay on your own. The ship tours never allow as much time on the beach as we enjoy and it is very easy to get there and back. I hope this helps!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Captain

H E L L O,people....Trunk Bay is on St. John, and you MUST take
the ferry if you want to go or be in for a long swim. Also when you
get to St. John, then you'll take a "taxi" to Trunk Bay. It's an awesome
beach.

Or you could just book the St. John shore excursion and let them
take care of all details.

Lou...Sailing on Mariner 4/11/04...Trunk Bay here we come!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM
First Mate

That's what we're doing.....the St. John's beach tour. We just booked with RCCL because we didn't want the hassle of dealing with it ourselves. Probably paid more, but that's life.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
jlynd53

It is really no hassle going to Trunk Bay on your own. Yes, you did pay more for the ship's tour and if you will be happy spending more time getting to the beach and back then you will spend on the beach then the ship's tour is a good choice. We prefer to go on our own because we like to have some time to relax and enjoy the beach and then we leave when we are ready to leave not when they tell us we have to. Last time we were there we spent a couple of hours at Trunk and then grabbed a taxi and went to Cinnamon Bay for a couple more hours. The ship tours came and left Trunk Bay while we were there and we had beautiful Cinnamon Bay all to ourselves. It was an amazing day. I have pictures of both beaches in the Explorer albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/jean_lynd if you would like to see what it is like to go there on your own. Happy planning!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Hi jlynd53!

Nice pics! Well, upon further review, I think we're going to take your advice and go to Trunk Bay on our own. I was thinking that the St. John Beach Tour was a 4 hour morning excursion that ended at Trunk Bay and that we could just stay at the beach into the afternoon, if we wanted. In fact, the excursion doesn't depart until 1 PM, so by the time we got to the beach, we'd have almost no time there, as the ship sails at 5 PM. Thanks for your advice!
Am I correct in assuming that the ferries to St. John depart right from the cruise dock area? Does the ferry drop you within walking distance to Trunk Bay, or should we plan on a cab ride? How often do the ferries run from St. John to Charlotte Amalie?

Thanks for your suggestion!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:15 PM
Bonhomme Richard

Default Re: Re: Royal Caribbean Shore Excusion Suggestions for St. T

We took the RCCL tour to Trunk Bay. I didn't think that one through. Nice trip, but we only got 50 minutes to spend on the beach itself.

The ferrys go from both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. Try this link for schedules and fares:

http://www.usvi-on-line.com/ferry.shtml

Scroll down to "between St. Thomas and St. John"

This is how we're doing it next time.

Enjoy,

Richard
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:27 AM
DavidN

Rent a car and travel the island yourself. We did this a couple of years ago. I think that we rented from Budget, a jeep for $59. Their office was in short walking distance of the dock. The island is only 12 miles long. It was great driving around on the left side of the road in a vehicle that was made in the US. We visited all of the sites and many areas that we would have never seen if we were on an formal excursion.

Try it - it was great. We are going back in July and I expect that we will do the same thing.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM
jlynd53

Marty - You need to take a taxi to the ferry. The ferries leave from either Charlotte Emelia or Red Hook. We took the one from Red Hook. You do need to take a taxi to Trunk Bay and there is a $4/person entrance fee to Trunk Bay. If you happen to have a National Park Golden Eagle pass you can use it to get in. Doing the trip on your own is not that much cheaper then what the ship charges but you get to spend as much time on the beach as you want which is the main reason that we go on our own. There are taxis waiting at every stop and the taxi rates are fixed so it is pretty easy. If I get a chance I will dig out my notes from St. Thomas so that I can give you the exact prices. I hope this helps!
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Hey all!

Thanks for the great info. Between this thread and a few others, I've got it all down, including pricing info, so don't go to any trouble on my behalf, jlynd53! Cost was not really a concern; "beach time" was the issue, as I had the ship excursion time confused. I feel real comfortable doing it on our own....sounds pretty simple, in fact.

Thanks everybody!
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
kahliasmom

I am going to St. Thomas in a couple of days and would like some more detailed information if someone gets the chance. I am leaving tomorrow though. So let me see if I have it right. I can either get a ferry from Charlotte A... or from Red Hook. I have to take a taxi to get to either ferry. Pay for the ferry. Then when I get to St. John's I have to take a taxi to Trunk Bay and pay to enter the park. I have a 2 year old, will I have to pay admission for her to get into the beach/park? How much is taxi to Red Hook from the ship? How much is it round trip for a taxi to Trunk Bay from ferry boat dock? I bet if I get off the ship early there will be a lot of people going to St. John's and maybe we can hook up with others to save on the taxi fares.
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Hi!

Here's what my research has found, even though I have not yet gone:

Taxi from dock to Charlotte Amalie ferry (about 5-6 minutes) is about $3 (not sure whether your 2 yo. would be charged), then $7 each way on the ferry to and from St. John. This ferry ride takes about 45 minutes. Taxis are said to be plentiful in St. John for tours or a ride to a beach.

Taxi from dock to Red Hook ferry (about 17-20 minutes) is about $8 each for 2 or more, then $3 ea. for a 20 minute ride to St. John, then reverse on the way back to the ship.

The following is from a website I bookmarked:

"If you are traveling alone, the Charlotte Amalie ferry will be a couple dollars cheaper. If you are traveling in a group the difference in price is less obvious because the Charlotte Amalie taxi price doesn't change when there are more then one persons it remains $3 each person however the Red Hook taxi price is less with more people traveling in the group (taxi to Red Hook for one person is $10 and for more then one person it is $8 a person).

The time comparison; the Charlotte Amalie ferry will take longer by a little over 10 minutes, if there is traffic going to Red Hook the total commute time might work out to be the same in terms of taxi + ferry commute. The Charlotte Amalie ferry does not have an hourly schedule like the Red Hook ferry however it does have a regular and frequent schedule.

The deciding factors you might consider are; would you rather spend more commute time on a ferry-water or on taxi-land; by ferry you will see a bit of the islands coastline and by taxi you will see a bit of St. Thomas while you drive. If you are prone to seasickness it is best you take the Red Hook ferry so that you are spending less time on a ferry boat. Some visitors take both; going to St. John on the Red Hook ferry and seeing a bit of St. Thomas on the taxi ride and then returning directly to Charlotte Amalie on the Charlotte Amalie ferry from St. John - this is an option as you can purchase one way tickets from the ticket counters at the ferry docks. Both the Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook ferry arrive and leave from Cruz Bay, St. John at the same dock. Taxis are always available at the Cruz Bay St. John dock to take you to Trunk Bay, Annaberg or wherever you would like to go on St. John."
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:11 AM
sportsfan33

My wife and I just got back from Serenade of the Seas on March 6, and we loved St. Thomas. By 10am, we were parasailing 400 foot above the water, and we also did the BOB (breathing observation bubble) excursion later in the afternoon. Well worth the money, the parasailing was amazing. Have a great time
Andy