Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Liztoybiz

Default Ever been swimming with sharks?

I thought I'd mention an excursion in Nassau that DH and I discovered while staying at Atlantis last May. We wanted a fun snorkel day trip and at another guest's recommendation we tried an outfit called Stuart Cove. The offered two boat trips a day with up to three stops each. I say 'up to' because the last one is very weather dependant, its the shark one.
Details: look at Stuartcove.com $40 adults, $20 children for the snorkel trips and they don't allow children under 4. They have dive trips also.
The following is our trip report so feel free to skip it and just visit their website. They pick you up at either your hotel or your cruise ship and take you on a scenic bus ride to the southwest side of Nassau. Its a beautiful ride and a great way to see some of the island. After releases are signed they let you on your boat and take you to the first stop. Ours was at a place called Little Elvis and while the snorkeling was beautiful, there were TONS of those little brown jellyfish-looking things...so if i kept my face in the water, it didn't bother me, but it was pretty freaky to realize you're surrounded. It was in May, and we were told they were dormant, but a little later some of us started itching a bit...probably our immaginations working overtime The second stop was at a place that was dormant-jellyfishd FREE! It was a super stop as well, and between the two we saw lots of eels, colorful fish, I think a manta ray or two, and other cool things. The last stop was the highlight though. The waters were fairly rough but the 15 of us were all adventurous and said "Sure, lets try it" so most of us eased ourselves into the water with masks on and floated behind the boat holding onto a long rope. The crew had previously lowered a closed bucket full of fish and holes very deep and when we looked down, we could see four shadows, make that four SHARKS circling the bucket! It was so cool! And it wasn't real scary, because they looked all of 3-4 feet long. Their group grew as we watched until there were a dozen Caribbean reef sharks circling...
They got us onto the boat and started to raise the bucket. Telling us to grab our cameras and hold onto something (because our little boat was getting a pounding from the waves) and then they brought it all the way to the surface and here come these 10 foot sharks with it! The crew further entertained us by skewering a few fish onto a gig and tapping the shark on the nose with it and as he lunged at it, the top part of him flopped on the back of the boat! You've never heard such shrieking! It was a real highlight...So, if you've made it this far through my saga, I commend you! Sorry I got so long winded.
Final thoughts: If considering booking with them, I'd check your times very carefully for pick up as well as return, I'd hate for anyone to miss the boat! Also, they do not provide drinks, snacks, or food of any sort. They offer water, an ice chest to hold your items, as well as a nice gift shop where you can purchase drinks and snacks. Finally, the boat contains some shade, but not a ton, and doesn't have loads of storage space, so pack carefully, and know that your belongings might get wet.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Greeneyes630

Default Re: Ever been swimming with sharks?

We did the Stuart Cove excursion as well. Two teens, 2 adults...all loved it. Recommend.
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Liztoybiz

Default Re: Ever been swimming with sharks?

Oops! Just realized I should have posted this on the 'destinations' board. Is it possible to move it? Sorry for the mistake...still learning how to do the boards