Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM
breana1963

Default Stupid questions from a first time cruiser

We are in the process of booking our first cruise and are really trying to estimate the final "out the door" cost. I know that the extra costs will be alcohol, soda cards, shore exursions, shopping, ect. but what about things like the ice show that I keep hearing about on the mariner or other restaurants on the ship such as Johny Rockets or Porticos? Are those included in all the "all inclusive rate" or do we have to eat in the main dining room? Are most shows included?

Also, what about shore exursions. I know we are responsible for the cost of those but we can we goo back and forth from the ship for things such as meals or are we on our own with those too?

Sorry about the naive questions...we know NOTHING about cruising.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:20 PM
joycetmoore

Default Re: Stupid questions from a first time cruiser

The ice show and the other shows on board are free. At Johnny Rocket the food is free, however, you pay for your drinks such as the milk shakes. There is a charge for the alternative restauarants Chops and Portofinos. I believe the charge is now $25.00 per person, but in my opinion, well worth the cost. On days in port the Windjammer buffet is open and also Johnny Rocket. There is also a cafe on the promenade that is open serving pizza, sandwiches and desserts ( there is no charge for their food). You can come and go from the ship whenever it is in port and food is always available (some people never leave the ship). Also, don't forget to include your tipping in your budget.
The best way to learn about crusing is to read these message boards. They have helped me immensely in the past.

Have a wonderful cruise....there's no other vacation like it!
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:56 PM
joycetmoore

Ignore Application's response. Some child must be on the board playing around. And he's not too smart either...he posted his response twice. Your questions are the same questions everyone who cruises wants answers to. We all start off knowing nothing, but this is the best and quickest way to get your answers.
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:28 AM
breana1963

Thank you Joyce...you have been very helpful. We just decided on this vacation a couple of days ago and I already have gathered so much information....also wondering why we hadn't cruised before this...it sounds awesome and I can't believe I am going to have to wait an entire year for this vacation. What did we do before the internet?
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Passenger

First of all, thank you to first time cruiser for posting your questions. I was curious about many of the same things you asked about. I too am a first time cruiser and could probably come up with a thousand stupid questions. I even posted one about towels and most of the people on these boards have been great! I've gotten some great tips about shore excursions as well and packing tips. Truthfully if it weren't for these boards i would be terrified heading off into the unknown in April with my family, but now i feel i've gotten some insight and can relax and enjoy my vacation.
As far as Application goes, he's obviously looking for a reaction, don't bother with a response. I'm sure once the person who maintains the boards sees his posts they will end up in the trash where they belong.
So post away, "stupid question" or not, you're only helping yourself and others like you to learn more and have a better time on their trip.
Have fun,
Gina B.
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Stupid questions from a first time cruiser

I agree with Gina B. Have been cruising for over 10 years and I sometimes still have questions I feel might be stupid but the vast majority of posters on these sites are always very helpful. As for the few who seem to be wanting attention and use negative comments to try and get it, just disregard them. They aren't relevant to what these forums offer.

Happy Cruising.

Tanker
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Stupid questions from a first time cruiser

To Breana & other first time posters.
I have been cruising for over twenty five years and still
ask questions, and learn a lot just by "lurking" on the message boards.
Things change in the industry, and some of the things that were standard
a few years ago are different now. You need to keep up,
and these boards will help you do that.
I would guess the experience level of the
people on this board would equal tousands of cruises.
Do not hesitate to ask questions, the folks hereabouts just love to
spread their first hand knowledge.

Have a great vacation, come back & tell us about it.

Joemo
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:19 AM
libbynan

Breana, my husband and I took our 1st cruise in Nov.'03. The week after we got back I saw a mention of cruisemates in a travel column (I'm not very computer-savvy, so it never occured to me to just look). I went to the site immediately and nearly cried...... I would give anything to have found this site before we went. I know we missed a lot just because of first-timer ignorance........ but, of course, this just gives us a better excuse to go again. The point being, FINALLY, that all questions are valid questions and aren't you the smart one for finding cruisemates and asking them.