Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Cruiseluver135

Default hair braided

Has anyone ever gotten their whole head of hair braided on the cruise ship THE SERENADE OF THE SEAS? The ship is with Royal Carribean. And I'm going to the southern Carribean. I'm going to Barbadoes, St. Thomas, and those other islands. Also maybe do they have any hair braiding stands on any of the islands??Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Michael and Joanne

Default Re: hair braided

You won't have any trouble getting your hair braided off the ship. There are 10 or 20 people offering to braid your hair the second you step off the ship. Get it done on your way back and you will get a better deal.
I didn't see anyone offering in St. Thomas, but your next stop in St Maartin they are waiting on the pier.

PS I just got back from the Serenade of the Seas so if you have any questions you can email me at mdielissen@juno.com
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:52 PM
kahliasmom

I got my hair and my daughter's hair braided while we were on the Serenade in Jan.
You can get your hair braided at any of the islands. I don't know how much people solicit for business on St. Lucia or Barbados because by those islands I had already had my hair braided. I heard of people getting their hair braided there though. I got just the top done for my daughter in St. Thomas, then decided to get the whole thing done in Antigua. I got half done in St. Marteen. Just after I got off the water taxi in Phillipsburg there was someone asking me. Antigua is where they have a place where you can sit and get your hair braided. They stand at the end of the pier where the shops begin and will bring you over to their stand. I would say that I prefer St. Marteen over Antigua. In St. Marteen they were the most reasonable and nicest. I didn't have the best experience in Antigua. They seem to con you there. The woman there took the braids out that I had gotten in St. Marteen even though I didn't want her to. Then when I went to pay her the price that we had agreed upon she had a real attitude, like it wasn't enough. I paid her $45 but I heard people getting their whole head braided for $20-$25, which is what you could probably bargain for in St. Marteen. I am in the process of taking our braids out now. It is quite a process. They stayed in for about 4 weeks. Have fun.
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:55 PM
hcat

Thanks for the info--I only want a few braids & beads--so I will look for someone willing to do just that & set the price in advance--also posted a ques on this on the destinatons carib board--but this is info I needed
Old February 29th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Elmer

bring your own comb with or else they will use the same comb that has been used on many many other people, without being cleaned in between customers! yuck!
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:00 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

be ready to sit for a long time!

Royal Caribbean/ Sovereign of the Seas 2000
Carnival/Fantasy 2001
Disney/Wonder 2003
S.O.S. JUNE 04
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm all thumbs when it comes to my hair. When I got home from an island after having braids put in, I couldn't get them out! It was a real problem b/c I had a job interview the next day. I ended up cutting the little beads out of my own hair b/c nothing was open on a Sunday night, wearing my hair in a bun to the interview & then running to my stylist to fix the damage. (It's impossible to cut your own hair straight :-) ).
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Laira C.

Besides bringing your own comb, I would bring some hand sanitizer and make them wash their hands with it first. Most of the ladies we saw braiding hair on the islands had filthy hands. The sanitizer won't make the filth go away, but at least it won't be germy filth!