Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
kahliasmom

Default Just got my edocs and RCI charged me $209 more than TA quote

Thursday I booked a cruise at the last minute with an online TA. She had quoted me the best price of anyone. When I got the bill in the mail yesterday the price was about $20 more than what she quoted because of taxes from RCI. OK. Today, I printed out my edocs as they were just emailed to me. When I looked at what RCI says the final amount is, it is $209 higher than what the online TA charged me. She had said that the price had included taxes and port charges. The amount she quoted is what is charged to my credit card thus far. The extra $209 has not been charged to my credit card yet. Also, my TA had sent me information about travel insurance and I called the company yesterday and ordered that travel insurance. Well, when I looked at my edocs I have been charged for RCI's travel insurance. So right now I have two different travel insurance policies. When I called my TA she was surprised to hear that I had RCI's travel insurance. She said that wasn't supposed to be there. I also pointed out that I am being charged over $200 more than what she quoted me and said she would look into that. She called me back about 20 minutes later, she sounded kind of apologetic and said that someone with RCI was looking into it and that she would have to get back to me. Does this sound right? Should it take time for RCI to find out why I was charged for travel insurance when my TA says she didn't order it for me and why I was charged $200 more than I was quoted and billed by TA? I know that TA's have been giving people promotional rates that they weren't qualified for. How could this TA quote me one price and then RCI charges me another? I hope that this gets resolved. I am kind of a push over and don't want to get pushy with this TA. I am hoping that she is telling me the truth, but I just don't trust her. I have to wait until tommorrow to get an answer. I am stressing over this. RCI won't tell me anything because I made this booking with a travel agent.
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Just got my edocs and RCI charged me $209 more than TA q

I have booked my last two cruises directly with RCI. I found all the websites that offered the "best price" were quoting the same as was on RCI's website. I have recieved excellent service from the same guy the last two times there. The last time I had a TA and had a questions after hours, I had to wait til Monday. When I called RCI they told me I have to deal with the TA. IMO it is easier to go right to the source. I could be wrong though. The rates vary so much by sailing date that usually when there is a really cheap rate advertised it is off season or on a time there is something else going on. I booked my current trip through RCI, as stated earlier here and since I have too much time on my hands, I check the rates every day or so and have seen my sailing go from $589 PP to $829 for the same category. The exact same rates have been consistent on 3 major cruise websites.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its possible some of the extra is the charge for the insurance....you travel agent can just take that off if you decline. Hope you get some answers.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Often they quote the book rate for the cruise -- the bottom line is what is charged.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
kahliasmom

RCI quotes the book rate? I hope that is the case. The insurance for RCI was about $118 so the difference is almost $100. Also, didn't mention that there is a charge of $633 made by the TA to my credit card. It has not posted to my account but has been deducted from my credit limit. When I called my credit card company to find out what these pending charges were they told me about the one for $633 charged by the TA. On another board I was informed that a TA should never be using my credit card to bill to the agency dirrectly. Discover card said that this was probably a charge that would probably come off the bill, that the TA did it to insure she was getting her $. But the charges are supposed to made to the cruise line dirrectly. I hope this all gets straightened out. What a nightmare.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Hi!

I agree with Dave the Wave. We also booked through RCI directly with no problems. Our sailing has increased in price since we booked, as well.

Kahliasmom:

You're right....it certainly is a nightmare! However, it's not as bad as the folks who thought they had their cruises paid for, only to find out at the dock that they had to pay additional HUNDREDS of dollars in order to board! I'm sure your TA and RCI will get things squared away for you. At least you found out now and not at the dock, right?

By the way, thanks for all of your reviews and postings about your other cruises.....they've been an enormous help to us. Are you going to stay on board 3 weeks this time? : )
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Dow Dow

Sorry to hear about your problem. The only thing I can suggest is to find a local TA you can trust and is close to home. We did and I have never been sorry. She always keeps us up to date on things and has always had a gift for us in our room when we arrive. The last time was champaign and chocolate covered cherries. I dont mind if the cost may be a little higher, I dont think it is from what I have been able to check on the boards. Our rooms, airlines,docs. transfers have always been on the money.I never have a minutes worry. If you cant find someone , e mail me and I will give you her name, etc. Hope you get things straightened out. Have a fun cruise.
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:14 AM
kahliasmom

Marty,

You remember that I was the one that stayed on board for three weeks. lol I don't plan to do that again. I guess I've got cruising in my blood now. It's a nice life for the week, expecially the Caribbean in the middle of winter. Getting warmer here in NY now though. I haven't had any other charges posted to my credit card. I left a message with the TA and waited for her to get back to me. She did not so I am going to call her tommorrow. I didn't think about it until someone just mentioned it about having to pay more at the dock. I hope that I don't have to make up the difference at the dock. I think it will all work out. I will let you all know. Thanks for your replies. Nice to know that there are so many nice people out there.
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM
First Mate

What a mess; I think I would do as someone suggested and see if you can't find a local TA that might be able to help. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about booking via the internet. This doesn't mean I won't book through them or all internet agents need to be closely watched, I am just a little nervous. $10 or $20 extra fees cause of some tax you weren't quoted isn't the end of the world but when we start talking in $100s it is a biggy. My brother is getting ready for his first cruise. I checked the internet for 2 days and his best deal or as good a deal was with RCI directly.

NMNita
Old March 4th, 2004, 02:17 PM
carol O

**** the TA's book, with royal direct.
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Diane Giambalvo

Kalismom,
A TA should never be charging a credit card to an agency. This is how it works, TA calls the Cruiseline, Holds a Res, gets a fax, She may give the customer that price or discount some of here commission which most TA's do unless its a real cheap cruise, then when the client gives the TA the charge # and permission to use it, the TA calls the Cruiseline and the Cruise Line charges it to the customers Card. Same with final payment. The TA's commission is mailed from the Cruise line. It can be minus the discount she gave the customer.
Make sure when you get a quote port and Govt taxes are included. Some TA's exclude this and then you are really paying more than quoted. IMO , An Honest TA will include everything.