Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Passenger

Default Rental Car Question - Port Canaveral

Haven't arranged our car rental yet (Orlando - Canaveral) Does anybody have any recommendations on rental companies? I'm making the assumption that all will provide free shuttle servie to the terminal, but we all know that assumptions can be DANGEROUS!

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Carley

Default Re: Rental Car Question - Port Canaveral

If you just need transportation to the pier then hook up with Mears services instead of renting a car..Mush cheaper and available at the airport..
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Passenger

There are 4 of us and we're lucky enough to be arriving in Orlando late Friday night. That leaves us Saturday for a Disney theme park visit and Sunday morning for any last minute items we forgot to pack. Post-cruise we have 5 more days in Orlando so a car rental is pretty much essential. Otherwise, I'd be follwoing your suggestion and leaving the driving to them!

Thanks Carley!
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM
pkf4bucs

Cant really give advise about the rental car but depending on the age of your children, if you have any, i would chose the Magic Kingdom, Epcot then MGM, from fav. to least fav. One day isnt enough to do alot in any park and it also depends when you are going. You pretty much have any choice in rental car choice since Orlando is an international airport. Check the sites on the net. Enterprise may be the cheapest. Anything else you want to know about Disney or Orlando please let me know.
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Hi pkf4bucs,

Sounds like you are a fellow Disney fan! I am a serious theme-parker and love all things Disney. The Magic Kingdom is my #1 sentimental favorite since we took our 17 & 19 yr old daughters there in '94. Since them, I've been back as often as possible and look forward to introducing our grandchild to the place. Now, hopefully this grandchild will keep to schedule and arrive in town BEFORE we sail on May 2!!!! This time around, we are travelling with my 2 best girlfriends and as they only have the one extra day in Orlando, the park is their choice. I'm happy just to be there!

Two local TA's have only come up with quotes from Hertz and I know that some other agencies must have CApe Canaveral depots. I'll take your advice and start digging myself.

Your offer of expertise is much appreciated! Are you an Orlando area resident, or just lucky enough to be able to visit frequently? not meaning to pry... just curious about others who share my interests!
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
pkf4bucs

I lived in Tampa for a few years but have been to Disney many times. It is worth the trip to the City Walk right out front Universal. Many restaurants and entertainment! Also try Orbitz.com and a few of those sites as they might have good prices, for rental cars. They did good for my family on our cruise rate. There is so much to do just a disney itself. Rainforest Cafe is a must, but I woulod call ahead and get reservations. The one at Downtown Disney is supposed to be better. Oh yeah! Forgot about Animal Kingdom! If they pick that park go early and do the stuff with the animals first..... before the heat of the day sets in. They are generally more active first thing when the park opens. I could talk all night about Disney! Anything else please do not hesitate to ask!
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Passenger

Disney's a near & dear to my heart topic, too. I was lucky enough to win a trip to LA in '89 and all I could think when I was notified was "I am finally going to Disneyland!!!"
Someday I will get back there for another visit and see California Adventure as well. And then of course, I have to get to Europe someday and you know what that means... Euro-Disney, here I come!

I've never been one to collect knick-knacks, but practical items of beauty are another matter. We have several sets of everyday glassware, all featuring Disney themes. Likewise my mug collection, office accessories, all of my earrings, my good watch... the list goes on. Nothing over the top, just a little magic at home and work.

Our 25th anniversary trip was to WDW at the end of Nov and into Dec. The decorations, shows, parade - WOW. Best of all, it was ideal touring temperature and there were absolutely no crowds. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party was terrific and I dream of going to another one, maybe with our grandchild someday. Have you ever been to one of those?

Aaaahhh... Disney, memories that warm my heart.
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:54 PM
daboss

Consider renting at orlando airport. I used National (133.00 for the week). You could do Disney on Fri/Sat and book a room at the Radison at the port.(Cost me 85.00) They allow you to park at the hotel while you crusie. You then take their shuttle to the peir. they pick you up after the cruise and take you back to the hotel. Pick up your car and your on your way back to Disney. Easy and you don't have to pay the daioly parking fee at the port! They leave every half hour starting at 10:00am. The hotel was beautiful. You do need to make reservations for the shuttle. They like you to do it after you check in, but I called before my flight and told them I wouldn't be ariving until midnight and they allowed me to book over the phone. Only took about 45 minutes to get to Wilderness Lodge after our cruise. Hoe this helps. Also you don't need to book the stay and park rate (or what ever they call it), just book the cheapest room . I found the internet rate to be the cheapest. Hve a great trip!!!!
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:30 AM
kevin macbride

we got a rate from orlando air port on supper shuttal for 7 $ per person after 7 at night.