Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
kahliasmom

Default Will I like Nordic Empress after being on the Serenade

I am looking at a cruise to Bermuda and am also interested in the 11-night Exotic Caribbean both on the Nordic Empress or now the Empress of the Seas. I can't imagine enjoying being on that little out-dated ship once I have been on the beautiful, new Serenade of the Seas. I know that the Empress has gone through a million dollar renovation, but wonder if it will feel like being in a Super 8 instead of a Hilton Resort? I wish RCI would have a nicer ship going to Bermuda. Has anyone been on the Empress as well as the bigger ships and can still say they like the Empress?
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Will I like Nordic Empress after being on the Serenade

My family has been on the old nrdic empress and although much smaller- they still said that they had a wonderful time (ages range from 20's- 50's) If you are more into newer, then maybe try a differnt line if it is bermuda you would like.
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Hi!

Thought you were cruising this week.....................?
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Em

Default Re: Re: Will I like Nordic Empress after being on the Serena

My family is going to Bermuda for the third time, our second on the Nordic Empress. We were on it in October of 2002. I love the boat, even though I have been on much nicer ones, such as the Radiance of the Seas, the Adventure of the Seas, and Celebrity's Millennium. It is one of the nicer ships that sails to Bermuda, and one of the biggest as the island does not allow cruise ships over a certain size to dock there. This is why mainly smaller and older ships go there. The ship wasn't outdated when we were on it, and now with the new improvements: rock climbing wall, new club, and an updated fitness center, it should be even better! As soon as we heard that the ship was updated, we booked it for July. We were booked on the Voyager of the Seas, but we cancelled it for the Empress. If u are deciding between the two cruises, I would recommend Bermuda, because it is the most beautiful island I've seen, but I would not take the cruise after September. We made that mistake when we went in October, and the rough seas made the entire boat seasick! The exotic caribbean is a good itinerary as many ships don't stop at St. Bart's, Greneda (which is BEAUTIFUL), and Isla Margarita. The other stops are nice as well, especially St. Lucia, Aruba, and Barbados. If u have any questions or want to see pictures of the boat or islands, email me at shortstuff47@sbcglobal.net

*Em*
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:57 PM
kahliasmom

Hi Marty,

You have a good memory. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go. It's a long story, but to get over my disappointment I am here doing research for future cruises.

Electra and Em,

Thanks for your replies. Em, are you concerned about hitting a hurricane in July or has the hurricane season not really gotten under way then. I usually do something local or regional during the summer and would rather cruise in the spring, fall or winter. The prices for Bermuda for May when I would like to go are more expensive than I thought. I went to the Southern Caribbean this past Jan-Feb and loved it. Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados were some of the ports of call. I am not in any rush to do a Western Caribbean cruise as I thought I heard that the seas can be rougher there than the Eastern and Southern. I have to do more research about the Western. Em, you make Bermuda sound gorgeous and now I am looking forward to going there one day soon. Sounds like the Empress is nice and I will have to give it a try. Thanks and if I have any questions I wil be in touch.
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
First Mate

Hi!

I wasn't trying to be nosy.....I just remembered reading that you were having an issue about your fare. Sorry you didn't go this week, but you'll "get out there" again, soon, I hope.
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Em

Default Re: Re: Will I like Nordic Empress after being on the Serena

I wouldn't be too concerned about hitting a hurricane in July. We have always cruised during that time and have never had any trouble. However, when we cruised to Bermuda in October, the seas were horrible! We hit a storm going down, and my parents were so sick that they couldn't leave the cabin! The sea was all white capped and everything was closed or cancelled: the pool, the fitness center, and and the show. It turns out that most Bermuda cruises after September hit rough waters. But in the summer, the trip down is very calm.

I actually prefer the islands in the Western Caribbean to those in the Eastern Caribbean. The ones in the west have more unique features and cultures, such as the Cayman Islands. Cozumel and Central America, especially Costa Rica, are nice too. But I wouldn't book any cruise that goes to Jamaica.

*Em*
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:04 AM
kahliasmom

My mom went to Bermuda in 2001, about a week or two after September 11. It was a nightmare. They went to the New York pier and were told to go to NJ, then they get there and had to get on a bus to sail from Philadelphia. When they came back they hit really rough seas and a lot of people on the ship were getting sick. She said that they hit a hurricane. I don't know about that but probably the remnants of one. Sounds like going September or October is not a good idea. No wonder the prices are so much cheaper then. The points you make for the Western Caribbean are good ones, Em. There are more diverse cultures there and maybe I would get the opportunity to practice my Spanish. I really would like to go to Belize and Mexico sounds interesting.

Marty,

I don't think you were being nosy. Here I am at home when I was posting about being on a cruise this week. Oh well, like you said I'll be out there soon. I am really being
tempted by a good rate I saw on a 11 night Exotic Caribbean cruise, yesterday at least, it was $899 for a Dec 8 sailing. I still have the airfare from the trip I was supposed to take, so I am a third of the way there to paying for another cruise already.
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:48 AM
First Mate

Kahliasmom:

Book it and "get out there"!
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:51 AM
JudyJFLA

We were on the NE in Oct 2003 and it was the worst cruise we have been on out of over 20. From the engines breaking down repeatedly and never moving from the boring Dockyard area to the AC not working for days, to our overflowing toilet that no one would come to fix after repeated calls, it just plain sucked. The best part of the trip was the Millineum Hilton the night before. RCCL's reply to my letter? We got your money, you were on our ship for a week, tough.
We could not leave the ship at the Dockyards without spending $50+ for a ticket for the Jazz Festival as we were docked next to it. And just so you could not hear the music, the speakers on the open decks were cranked up with tropical tunes so loud you could not stand it outside.
We have been on the Voyager and Explorer before, and after both of them, the NE was just horrible. I am glad to see that they are rebuilding it as it was built as a 3-4 night ship, Otherwise they should rename it "Garbage Scow Of The Seas"
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Sue Smith

I was married on the NE two years ago and she is a beautiful ship with alot of class. Has she had her makeover yet to the Empress of the Seas.
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:45 PM
kahliasmom

Judy that is what I am afraid of. Yours is the first negative review of the ship, though there are probably others feeling the same way. It should be nicer with the refurbishing. Since I want to stay with RCI and try Bermuda when I do eventually go it will have to be on the Nordic Empress/Empress of the Seas.
Marty, I can't wait until I am able to book my next cruise and "Get out there!" I will have to learn how to use that countdown clock.
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Passenger

If you would like a nicer ship to Bermuda try Celebrity's Zenith. I have been on both the Zenith and the Nordic Empress and the Zenith was much better for food, entertainment and it docked in both downtown port cities, Hamilton and St George.
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Kathy D

Hi Kahliasmom, I just got off the Mariner and love the new bigger ships. I also would like to do the exotic southern Caribbean offered on the Empress, but don't want to take a chance on an older, small ship. We were on the Zenith's Western Caribbean two years ago and experienced sewer smells, garbage smells, the ship rocked back and forth for the whole week and a lot of toilets, including ours, were not working. They seemed to be in no hurry to fix them, either. I think this is the chance you take with an older ship. Plus, my sister booked the cruise for us and we ended up with staterooms under the galley. UGH! I would much rather book a newer ship and not have to worry if things are in working order. Good luck.
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:48 PM
kahliasmom

Thanks for your replies. I wil continue to weigh the pros and cons, do more research and decide on something.