Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM
kahliasmom

Default How are the smaller ships versus the Radiance and Voyager cl

I am researching cruises for the upcoming year and am hesitant to go on anything other than a Radiance or Voyager class ship. I have only been on the Serenade and am concerned that I won't enjoy the ambiance on these smaller ships. I don't like the idea of being on a ship that doesn't have at least something like the Seaview cafe. Seems like there aren't many places to eat on these smaller ships. I've been spoiled by the Serenade. When I look up cruises and find a price or an itinerary that I like, sometimes it's one of these smaller ships like the Splendour or the Nordic Empress. I like the itinerary for the Splendour. I really want to go to Key West and Belize, so that itinerary is great, but I am hesitant about going on the Splendour. How do others feel about the Vision class ships or smaller versus the bigger Radiance and Voyager class ships? I guess I am someone that when I go out to eat am hesitant to try something on the menu that I don't like when I have found something I already like. Hate to spend all that money and not enjoy myself. Thanks for an input.
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How are the smaller ships versus the Radiance and Voyage

How about the Enchantment of the Seas? I have been on her before and loved it. It has approx. 2000 passengers and is smaller but still big. I loved the food and the service. Our next cruise is a 5 nighter going to Key West, Mexico ,Belize and a day at Sea. I highly recommend this cruise!

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The Vision class ships are wonderful ships! I've sailed on the Grandeur, Vision, Legend and Rhapsody.

Tons of glass, and beautiful interior decor, make these still have a special place in my all time favorites list.

At 70,000 tons they're large enough to offer plenty of ammenities, but small enough that when you meet someone, you actually get to see them again before the cruise ends<G>

Personally, I don't like the Voyager Class at all. Beautiful interiors, but not very ship like. I got the feeling I was at the mall for my vacation. You pretty much have to be up on the top decks before you can find a view of the sea.

Families are loving these ships though, and they're doing very well with bookings, and making people happy! But then families like malls and theme parks too.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Jodi

Kaliahsmom,

The Nordic Empress (soon to be Empress of the Seas) is a smaller ship and I loved it.
She is actually going to be refurbished this April & RCCL is adding a rock wall and a Portofinos or Chops specialty restaurant. As well as changing the configuration of the ship.I also believe they are adding other things as well so they have some of the same amenities as the other ships. I am sure it will be great. We sailed her 6/99 for our honeymoon and it was the best cruise we ever went on.(have been on 6) The service was more personal than on the larger ships. She is truely a beauty and once she is completely refurbished she can only get better. Give it a try.
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM
kahliasmom

Thanks for your replies. There are so many great choices, as each ship has different amenities. That was a good point about the Voyager class ships that you have to go to the top decks to feel like you are on a ship. I haven't been on one but they probably don't have as much glass as the Radiance class ships. You all make the smaller ships sound so nice. Thanks again!!
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Passenger

KUKI......good to hear Grandeur is a pick of yours. Makes me feel good about sailing on Grandeur for my wedding even more so now. It's nice to hear good stuff about the ship i'm going on from a seasoned cruiser...

TK