Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to RHOSTE
Default Royal Caribean or Carnival

My first cruise will be August to the Mexican Riveria. Can any one tell me the difference between the Carnival Pride, and the Royal Caribean Legends of the Sea?
Is either one of them better for over 40 singles?
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Royal Caribean or Carnival

I have sailed only once on Carnival and numerious times on other cruise lines... If you are looking for cheap than Carnival is the way to go..... I was very disapointed on Carnival and will never go back... First I must say, if you are taking a family and kids.... it's a great way to go, or if you are single and plan to party the whole trip than be my guest,,,,, But if you want to be treated great, have clean staterooms, someone else to handle your baggage and you are choosing between Royal Caribean and Carnival... I would go with Royal Caribean without a doubt.... We are getting ready to go on our 5th RCCL cuise May 8th to Hawaii.... I can't wait..... But, picking a cruise line is important, it depends on what you want out of your vacation..... what you are looking for and how you want to be treated.... Good luck !!!!
Find a good travel agent that will be upfront and honest with you to find you just the right ship for the type of vacation you want.... We love cruising and we go on the ship that is just the right choice for us... Last year we were on the Windstar and it was great... Small, romantic... and that was what we were looking for last year.... This year we want to sail around the Hawaiian Islands.....
Just do your research and you will do fine..... The cruise boards are the best information line for you also, you can really get some great information...
If I can be of any help, feel free to email anytime...
Good luck
gloria
Old March 14th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Jonathan - FL

Rhoste,
My wife and I took a Carnival cruise for our honeymoon 5 years ago and had a great time. There are activities going on around the clock, so if you are a night owl Carnival would be the way to go. Carnival is known as the "fun ship" so there is lots of partying going on. My wife and I had a great time. If the price, destination, etc were right I would go with Carnival again.
The only other cruise we have taken was a Royal Caribbean cruise. I would agree with Gloria that Royal Caribbean is a more premier cruise line. The service, food, shipboard activies, etc were a whole level better. For my wife and I we enjoyed our Royal Caribbean experience and prefer them to Carnival.
If you have never cruised before, you will have a blast no matter which cruise line you pick. For our experience, Royal Caribbean has raised the bar of our cruise expectations. Carnival would have a younger passangers with 40s probably being about in the middle age group. 40s would be on the younger end with Royal Caribbean. Carnival would have more families, Royal Caribbean not as many. Not too sure about the singles, but my guess would be Carnival would have more stuff geared towards singles.
Crusing is a great value. For what you get (great food, entertainment, lodging, destinations, etc) the price is very fair.
Good luck and have a great time!
Old March 15th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Passenger

My first cruise was on Carnival Fantasy - and I had decided I would NEVER cruise again. Then I cruised RCCL, and found out what a cruise truly should be(IMHO). I am not a 24/7 party person so Carnival just didn't fit my style. My 17 year old daughter was also on that cruise with me and she hated every minute of it. But she also loves RCCL. It is a personal preference, though. Have a great time no matter which cruise line you choose.
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tropicaldayz

Hey, i;ve gone on a carnival 'imagination' 2 years ago, but in april for spring break : april 18-april 25 im goin on a royal caribbean cruise' adventure of the seas' departing from peutro rico and goin to like aruba, caraco, st. thomas, st. martin, etc...anybody else goin on this cruise...let me know, thnx...byebye
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

RHOSTE,
The Carnival Pride is a beautiful ship, with great food and better entertainment. Although the Legend is an older ship, it also is very pretty. Either would be a good choice, I think Carnival gets a bad rap, and for meeting other singles, the Pride might get the edge there.
You can't go wrong, you will be on a cruise. Let price decide it for you on this one.

Post Edited (03-18-04 01:30)

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Depends on what is most important to you.

You'll hear good and bad reviews of all cruiselines, but if you add them all up, most experienced cruisers seem to think that Carnival and RCI aren't all that different in most areas. People seem to think RCI has prettier ships. Carnival has bigger rooms.

I can tell you the nightlife on Carnival is unbeatable. The ships are active until the wee hours.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM
First Mate

I've sailed numerous times on both lines. I'm on the West Coast and have done the 3-, 4-, and 7 day cruises to Baja and Mexico.

We really enjoyed our 7 day cruise on Carnival's Elation to the Mexican Riviera, beautiful ship, lovely passengers and cruise, some partying but not super boisterous. I think Carnival's newer ships come very close to RCCL in food and service and they are very nice looking as well, not garish as the older Carnival ships are. We also enjoyed a 4-day on RCCL's refurbished Monarch.

RCCL ships, IMHO are more elegant, but only slightly so over the newer Carnival ships. I thought the food was about the same between RCCL and Carnival.

What I'd stay away from is an older ship that has not been refurbished, prices are cheaper, but I've learned you get what you pay for.

In my opinion, you would enjoy either ship.