Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:11 PM
cruisinsue

Default Galveston transportation and hotels

We are sailing on Rhapsody of Seas in June. Does anyone know whether it would be best to stay the night in Houston Bush Airport the night before (Marriott in terminal) or travel out to Galveston and spend the night in the Hotel Galvez. It's quite a ways from airport (about 70 MIles). Need some ideas on this. Also which transportation? Shuttle, taxi, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Dow Dow

Default Re: Galveston transportation and hotels

We always stay at the port. That way we can get up, eat breakfast and get to the ship by 1030. Then it is a short time until we are on the ship. I would recommend staying as close as possible. Some of the local hotels let you store your car at the hotel until you get back. You can"t get any better than this. Have fun. Wish I was going.
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Passenger

Sue,

I would definitely stay in Galveston. The Hotel Galvez is nice for a weekend. If you have enough time before the cruise, try to stop by Moody Gardens. The traffic between Houston and Galveston is just too unpredictable to risk missing your boat. There's only one main route and if there is an accident or road construction, you can be stuck for a while. Better to be stuck on your way to a hotel than on the way to the boat. I've never taken a cab or shuttle to Galveston so I can't help you there. I looked at www.taxicabhouston.com for rates. The taxi ride will run about $120.
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Galveston transportation and hotels

You can hire a private car for around 75-80 dollars . Thats what we did last year for cruise, there were 4 of us , women and we had plenty of room. I think it was abc limo? It may have been less and 80 was the total with tip included. It was a new towncar.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Ray Boudreaux

Is this a license and insured service.

$80.00 to Galveston from Bush Intercontinental Airport which is 80 miles from Galveston.

NO WAY. Something is wrong with this price............ beware.
And then thier is the problem of putting four people with all the huge bag in a Lincoln town car. You must have been sitting with bags on your lap.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Bonni

Can you fly into Hobby? That's what we did, rented a car, and drove the 36 miles to Galveston & spent the night at La Quinta. The drive was a breeze but I can see big problems if there's a highway tie-up. Left the car there for the week and they called a cab to and from the port. I think it was called parksleepfly.com. We were able to see a little of Galveston that way (went to Wal-Mart Sun. morn for some forgotten items) , got there early and ate lunch on board by 1:00.I just chalked up the rental fee & room rate as insurance that we got there in plenty of time and unstressed.
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Ann Blackwell

We cruised of the Rhapsody late last year.

We had a great time.

My husband and I flew in from Nashville, and meant up with my brother in law and wife a
Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

We had per arranged for a private shuttle to transfer is to the cruise ship terminal at Galveston. The shuttle driver was a Mr. L. J. Cormier, he owns the business. He show us around downtown Houston, and give us a lot of information about Houston and the area.

When we got to Galveston, he drove around that city. This fellow is a really friendly man and loves what he does.

He can carry up to 11 people w/ bags. If you have a large group he can help you as well.

Call him, Mr. L. J. Cormier 281 443 4430

Ann Blackwell
Nashville, TN