Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Raycin24

Default serenade of the seas

Has anyone been on this ship?Whats it like?Hows the food/service?I read posts on another sight and people were very upset with this ships crew.Please eaze my mind as I am booked on this ship for an Aug.22 sail date to alaska.Also how formal is formal night in Alaska?The wife doesn't want to overdress...Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1
Default Re: serenade of the seas

You can't overdress on a formal night, people will be in all types of attire.
We are going on the Serenade on May 19th, so hope all the kinks are worked out by then. I will keep you posted. I am sure it was a fluke.

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:35 AM
First Mate

I sailed on the Serenade in January, and I had a wonderful time. I didn't have a single problem with the crew being unfriendly. I thought they were all great. The food was good, but the food at Chops was fantastic. It was well worth the $20 charge per person to eat there. We ate there twice, but would have dined there more often if I had been quicker with the reservations. I have booked a cruise on the Serenade for next January as well.
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:05 AM
my $.02

Went on the Serenade back in Sept. GREAT cruise! Have another on her booked for 1/2005.

Out of the 4 RCCL we have been on, that was the best.
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM
cricket55

We were on in Jan and overall the food and service were very good. We had a few glitches with dining staff being a little slow (but very friendly and tried their very best) and food temp being a little cool but overall things were great. I would defintiely disagree with anyone saying that the staff was unfriendly, everyone we met (with the exception of 1 pool bar server) were VERY friendly and helpful. It is certainly the most gorgeous ship ever. And yes, you can't possibly overdress on formal night and some were indeed dressed to the nines. Not all though so if a simple black dress is more your style, you will be more than fine. Suit and tie is fine for men too, you don't need a tuxedo although if you wear one you won't be the only one.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Chipmeister

Default Re: Re: serenade of the seas

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Just got back less than 2 weeks ago and found everyone to be pleasant or very nice. It was great. Also, lots of people seemed to be dumping on the new cruise director (who I understand is new to the ship but has been with the company quite a while). We found him to be pretty good, even if we did think think he sounded a bit like the guy hosting a morning drive radio show. After talking to some folks on the ship about him, I got the impression that some people feel the cruise director should be a combination superhero, entertainer, comedian, and best friend who makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. In other words, not human but rather superhuman. Hey, he's a cruise director, not your dad or favorite uncle. At least I got that impression from, as I said, a few people we talked to. But we thought he did a good job.
Ship is gorgeous. Have fun.

Chip
Old March 27th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Michael and Joanne

I sailed on the Serenade the last week of February and didn't once encounter rude staff. The staff was great, the cabin size was better than expected, the ship itself is really well decorated with tonnes of windows. The food in the dining room was just ok on the nights I didn't go with my waiters suggestion, but the other 5 nights when I took his advise it was great. I ate in the Windjammer for lunch and dinner and the food there was always good.
Old March 27th, 2004, 07:22 AM
can'tcallitdisappointed

we were on the serenade march 13. wonderful cruise for the kids and plenty to do. beautiful ship. food was disappointing. one night it was horrible and we went to the windjammer instead which was great. service in the dining room was slow, not due to the waiters but to the logistics of running to the very far away kitchen. rolls were slow to get to the table. water delivered on an infrequent basis. overall, only the food dept was a disappointment. i'd argue to go to the windjammer more frequently after looking at the main dining room menu and you'd get more of what you'd like. but the cruise itinerary more than made up for meal disappointment. what beautiful islands and the snorkeling can't be beat in St. Lucia. others were good also.
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Bill and Jane Lynch

We are also on the 8/22 sailing with our friends Lou and Gloria. Maybe we will see you there.
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled

We are sailing in July and I was curious as the type of restaurants on the ship.

Thanks
Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Miracle Cruiser

Took the Serenade of the Seas on October 2003. My husband and I first cruise. Ship was absolutely beautiful. I cannot say enough. You will really enjoy what the Serenade has to offer.
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:05 PM
RCcruzer

We were on the March 27th Serenade cruise to the Southern Caribbean. Would highly recommend this ship. The ship itself is gorgeous from stem to stern. We thought the food onboard was excellent overall, particularly when you consider the huge number of meals which are prepared daily. We ate in the main dining room at night with the exception of one evening when we ate at Portofino's. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer which had a wide variety of entrees for both times.

The wait staff in the dining areas were anxious to please and were extremely pleasant.

Our cabin was on the 9th floor and was beautifully appointed. Our cabin attendant cleaned the room several times each day and turn down service was done in the evening. One neat feature was the creative animals which he would fashion from towels each night. Really clever!

The itinerary was outstanding, very port rich, with only one sea day. We especially enjoyed St. Lucia and Barbadoes. Would recommend hiring a taxi driver on the islands rather than shore excursions. They will take you where you wish to go which is preferable to being stuffed in an overcrowded, un airconditioned van!

The weather was in the mid to high 80's but quite humid. But, sunny blue skies prevailed almost every day with the exception of one.

You can not go wrong with this ship or itinerary! Great trip!!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Nick_9000
Default Re: Re: serenade of the seas

hey, can'tcallitdisappointed, i sailed on her with you that date(march 13 2004)