Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just back from Grandeur Cruise, questions?

Just back from West Carib. on Grandeur. I will write a review soon as I clear some of the cobwebs of reality
If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer.
Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just back from Grandeur Cruise, questions?

Thanks for offering to answer our questions Elizabeth. We'll be on the Grandeur in two weeks and can't wait to get onboard. Can you tell us about the entertainment ? Were there any shows or perfomances that in your opinion should not be missed? What is your opinion of the food onboard? Are there any "secret" spots on the ship that are great for just relaxing and having a drink while providing a great view of the sea? Sorry for all the questions but we're trying to learn as much about the ship as we can in order to plan ahead.

Grandeur of the Seas
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hiya,
The cruise director Tom is outstanding and he sets the tone for the entertainment.
The singers and dancers were good but the comedian was really stellar. We also had the Coasters do a show and they were great The magician was predictable but the kids adored him and Hubs and I had to admit to finding it fun too. The game shows and horse races were really lots of fun and then there are things like the parade of nations and Grand Buffet that are entertainment unto themselves.
The food was great in the dining room (with wonderful theme nights and performances by the wait staff that shouldn't be missed.) The food in Windjammer is "adequate" but typical bulk buffet fare is always just that.
Go to the South Sea lounge to just relax and watch the sea go by with drink in hand indoors and if you want a quiet spot outside to relax, hubby and I always headed to deck 11 above the explorer area and enjoyed it there, proximity to the main pool and hear what's happening but out of the way enough to turn it all off if you want to.
Don't apologize for questions! I was a first timer and think this board really prepared our family for what to expect
Have a great time!!
Elizabeth
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your answers Elizabeth. I'll be sure to check that deck area you refer to above the Explorer Club. I have a couple more questions. What time did you arrive at the cruise terminal and how much longer after check-in were you able to board the ship? Was the Windjammer already serving lunch when you boarded?

Grandeur of the Seas
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Betty Boat

Hello, did you cruise out of Baltimore? I understand we won't get luggage tags in the mail. Do you know how you tag your luggage if you drive to the port? Last year our luggage already had tags and we drove up and the guys just put our luggage in big bins.
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe Elizabeth's cruise departed from New Orleans, just like mine will in two weeks. I don't understand why you're not getting luggage tags. We received our luggage tags more than a week ago in the same mail packet as our cruise docs. They have our sail date, deck, and cabin number already pre-printed, and all we have to do is put them on our luggage and drop them off with a porter. Are the Baltimore sailings handled differently?

Grandeur of the Seas
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Just back from Grandeur Cruise, questions?

If you have E-Docs, rather than the book which has the luggage tags in the back, you get tags from the porters when you arrive at the pier. You fill them in yourself and put on luggage. I just got out E-Docs. As part of the 8 pages that I printed out , one shows what you will fill in on your tags. Don't worry about them and just have a great cruise.
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Betty Boat

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from Grandeur Cruise, questions?

Thank you BJ, we will have e docs so now I won't worry about the luggage tags.

Newcruiser - another question - did you have to pay for breakfast juice like some are saying on these message boards?

Thank you both.
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

With our flight we arrived in at the pier direct from the airport at about noon and were able to board the ship immediately on checkin which took no more than 15 minutes. The Windjammer and the Solarium Cafe were both serving at that time. Our bags arrived in our cabin before we even finished lunch.
Certainly didn't have to pay for any juice at breakfast, good thing too, they are small and Hub's must have drank about six each breakfast Have a great time!
Elizabeth
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Beginner

im heading out in 10 days whats there to do for my pregnant wife in costa maya thanks
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is lots of shopping and tourist fare at the pier area. They have dancers that entertain etc., but it does somewhat resemble a zoo. I went on a tour of the ruins and it was a very hot day, it was wonderful but could be taxing on your wife. My Hubby and the kids did the coral reef snorkel and loved it but again it may not be appropriate for your wife depending on how far along she is.
Our table mates at dinner rented golf carts at the pier and took them into the fishing village of Majahual and thought that it was charming. They felt they got a little taste of true Mexican culture as opposed to the whole tourist thing at the pier. (You can also take a taxi for about $5 USD and that may be easier on your wife if it's a very hot day.)
I'm sure no matter what you will find some way of enjoying it there.
Enjoy your cruise!!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

One more question, newcruiser. Are there hairdryers in the cabins or do you have to bring your own? If there are, are they located in the bathroom or dresser area in the cabin? Are they the kind you have to hold the "on" button down continuously in order to operate?

Post Edited (04-15-04 18:06)

Grandeur of the Seas
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I must admit Yuyi, I was pleasantly surprised that there was a "normal" full-sized blow-dryer in the room. Not attached to the wall so that you could put it in any outlet. Didn't have to hold the button down. I brought my own, just in case with this mop I have to be prepared but won't bother bringing it next time.
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Speaking of hair...
If you want a special "do" for the formal nights or a blowdry etc. in the salon, go there immediately when you arrive as the appointment times go rapidly. They messed up my appointment and had to reschedule one and then they messed up my nail time too, they did make up for it though. They managed to accomodate both my appointments on the right days and then gave me a wonderful massage and facial session to make up for their blunder. I'm almost hoping they mess up a bit next time
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM
jil hew

a word of advice about hair. I generally have fine,thinnish hair. However...once I got to the carribbean and was outside most of every day my hair became possessed! I looked like a psychotic poodle in need of prozac! something about the humiditiy wind and sea air. I bought something called Frizz-ease which helped a little but I needed to spend extra time with the blowdryer and styling brush before each meal.
Old April 18th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Erin_Cruisers

Newbie Cruiser here...
My question is: Are there theme nights on cruises, and on this ship in particular?
In an "Ultimate packing list" somewhere, I read to pack an "Theme Outfit" (if appropriate).
So, we just want to know if there is such thing anymore?
Anyone?

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I hear ya Jill, I'm a redhead with curls soooo....
I didn't just make that blowdry appointment in the salon out of luxury, it was a necessity for me on formal night. The salt water and sea air turned me quickly into a "big hair" gal Elizabeth
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Erin,
I'm a Canuck too, from Oakville.
They did have theme nights on the Grandeur but the only one that you really should think about is the Caribbean night. The dress in the dining room that night is casual or "Caribbean". You will see by the waiters attire which night it is and what the theme is (ie Italian etc.) but the only time I saw folks dressed for theme was on Caribbean night with the guys in lots of bright colored shirts and girls in sun dresses
Hope this helps!
Elizabeth
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Erin_Cruisers
Default Re: Re: Just back from Grandeur Cruise, questions?

Hi newcruiser. Thanks for the info. We'll bring along something loose, and 'flashy' just in case.
Hey! your fairly close - 40 mins from us. When's your next cruise? Obviously this is our first, and trying to get as much info as possible.

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
nicpon1965

I just got back from the grandeur of the seas with my 3 children (now I really need a vacation!!!) The ship itself is in very good condition. The food was very good on all levels. The Royal Carribean dancers and singers were excellent. My kids really enjoyed the shows. Belize City is a dump!!! If you don't book an excursion, don't leave the gates. Costa Maya was excellent. You have to visit the Tequila Beach Club and Marajual. I have never seen more blue water. Cozumel was OK very touristy. We went to Playa Del Sol, very clean but crowded as we had seven cruise ships in port that day.
My only complaint is my room 3156 which was right below the Great Gatsby Kitchen. I was awoken every night at 3:00am to the tremendous banging and dropping of stuff on the floor. Do not book a room in this area. Our stateroom attendant Thomas did a very good job. All in all it was a good but tiring cruise with 3 children. Royal Carribean did a fine job and when I cruise again. I would definitely consider RCCL but I would make sure my room was not under the kitchen!