Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM
steve33

Default Stop Scaring First Time Cruisers !!!!!!!

Your better off not reading any of these postings and just enjoy your wonderful vacation.

Is $3.95 for Jonny Rockets gonna break the bank? If so, then you need to go to Disney World or Busch Gardens and really pay for lunch or snacks.

Cruises are the time to spend some money and do things that you never get to do at home.

The Spa, Shore Tours, Drinks etc...

Just enjoy and let the sign and sail card do the rest.
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Carley

Default Re: Stop Scaring First Time Cruisers !!!!!!!

What a breath of fresh air!!!!!!! I 100% agree..Arent vacations just that...A break away from every day life to try new things..?? So what if they cost a little extra!
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Passenger

Is it possible to put all topics on ignore that have anything to do with complaining about:

price of drinks
bringing liquor on board
cost of "extras" such as ice cream; specialty coffees; specialty dining areas

THe price of a 7 day cruise is cheaper than it was 12 years ago when I took my first cruise -- the price per day cannot beat any land vacation.

The cost of these extras are most often as the same as I can find in my own midwest town, and cheaper than most resort areas.
Plus they are "extras" no one is making you purchase them.

My advice to having a great cruise is :

Save your $$ at home : avoid fast food for a few weeks; dont buy Blizzards-- they cost over a dollar!!: when you go out to eat , dont get lobster -- they charge EXTRA for that! Dont get the wine with your meal , again its EXTRA. They also charge for dessert , yes they do ! AND you dont have to do this for 7 days, you can actually do this for weeks and weeks,

THen -- when you go on your 7 day cruise have a great time -- its your "vacation" --
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Also agree, when on vacation, anything goes...If I really want a hamburger at JR, I'll get one and not complain....

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Admiral

I agree, especially when the thread is given a title that is much more serious than the situation warrants such as titling the thread about the surcharge for Johnny Rockets as "Is the Bad Rumor About RCCL True?" Being a first time cruiser I opened the thread expecting some awful revelation and instead it is a tempest in a teapot about a lousy hamburger. Some of the more perspectivelly challenged posters are threatening to boycott RCCL because of this ridiculous issue. Yes there is such a thing as a Cheeseburger in Paradise but lets get real here.....

I have also noticed that some people have called the food on RCCL (and other lines for that matter) bad and/or gross. One must consider that such posters may:

1. Be rich and have a personal chef who prepares gormet cuisine every meal.
2. Dines daily in five star restraunts
3. Use my 15 year-old's definition of gross: Anything she doen't like or hasn't seen before.
4. Is a very picky eater by nature.

The bottom line is some people think that cruising should be all inclusive without paying the extra that would entail. They also seem to think that the cruise lines are wrong for trying to get an ROI for their investors.

I also am amused by those who constantly gripe about alcohol prices that are comparable to those found in establishments that I am familiar with.

Anyway my apologies to the negative posters -- you haven't scared me away yet!

Can't wait for my long postponed honeymoon.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM
hcat

Have a great time but be prepared for a bigger bill from your shipboard acct after you get home for all the exras that used to be par for the course--For some, the prices may be rock bottom but the upper level cabins with amentities still cost quite a bit. I do not takes these reports as complaints but as providing info so I can be an informed consumer.
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM
KC

I want to add my input on this thread. I have been on 3 cruises and have had a wonderful time. I don't drink (no bar tab), I don't eat at the extra cost dining rooms and I don't buy the extra coffee. I have saved for all three cruises and believe I had a wonderful time in spite of not indulging in these extras. It is your choice to buy or not to buy. We make those choices every day. I think the food is wonderful, the entertainment is wonderful and the ports are wonderful. I go with a "vacation" attitude and expect a wonderful time. Anyway, 2 months until the next cruise.
KC
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a first timer (VOS 10-08-04) I am really looking forward to the experience.
I don't care whether Johnny Rockets is still charging $3.95 pp. If I choose to dine there, I will. Plus, I don't think this miniscule surcharge is the harbinger of paying for every meal onboard the ship. Dining is at the heart of cruising (it's all people tell me - non-stop eating) I do not believe the cruise ship industry is going to risk a mass exodus of customers by charging for what is currently complimentary. For those who are put off by the surcharges, there are other options onboard. But, I do not think it fair for those who feel insulted to even suggest that others follow them in their rebellion. To eat, uh, each his own!
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agreee with the poster who said cruising is so much cheaper than it used to be. I can remember paying as much for an inside in 1988 as I spend on a balcony now.
The extra charges are jsut that EXTRA, no one needs to buy them. As for a few critics who choose to boycott Royal Caribbean. That's fine, leaves more room for me to travel with people who enjoy the experience.
Norma
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a recent first timer to cruising I must disagree somewhat. I was anything but scared from the postings that I have read here, I felt better prepared and when very little comes as a surprise it is easier to relax
I wanted to enjoy my vacation and didn't really care that things were going to be costly (life is short) but by being prepared, I was able to be more relaxed on the cruise and it was the info that I received here that accomplished that.
Some folks will always be dramatic in titling a thread, I must admit to getting a bit of a hoot out of the "oooooooooo spooky warnings". We're talking vacation here not solving world peace.
I love the fact that these topics are discussed here but also wish some of the drama could be kept in context
Happy Cruising!
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:17 PM
dee-lynn

who says you have to go to Johnny Rockets to enjoy your cruise. We just came back from our first cruise (Brilliance of the Seas) and had a great time. We had ample free drinks to choose from: juices in the morning and lemonade and iced tea were served throughout (including coffee and tea) the rest of the day... if it's gonna kill you to eat at Johnny Rockets, then just don't go. There are so many other free things to enjoy on your cruise!
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:27 PM
?

I completely agree, why let $3.95 ruin your vacation you spent $1000's on?
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:49 PM
adamss

I believe every one of us taking a vacation can afford it. I also believe if you are penny pinching, cruising is not for you. If you could afford to buy two cruise tickets, you should at least be able to spend an extra 1000 dollars for two for a 7 days cruise.
Just my 2 cents
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:10 PM
TK

We all have to put things in perspective. The price of a cruise is very reasonable, considering all the items included. Think about it...your dining (excellent) is included (you don't HAVE to eat at the specialty restaurants or Johnny Rockets); you don't have to pay extra to go from port to port -- the cost of your visiting different islands/countries is included. When was the last time you didn't have to pay to enjoy yourself at the evening show? We were on NOS this past March -- imagine, an ice-skating show at no extra cost. The three-level dining room was absolutely breathtaking. The feeling of sitting there, taking in the beauty of the surroundings, and being waited on hand and foot -- priceless. When was the last time you ate in such surroundings AND the waiter knew you by name?

This was our third cruise...the Enchantment, the Radiance, and NOS. I continue to be amazed, and can't wait for my next cruise.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:36 PM
First Mate

You folks have restored my faith in 'common sense' I thought it was becoming rare - seems I was - happily - wrong! Post on please and I agree 110% - let's enjoy our cruises 'cause u never know, they might get too expensive for most to even be able to take in the future - oh say it won't happen...!!! At least the negative postings give people 'pause' to make informed decisions and when they do go and cruise (especially first timers) - they realize it usually 'ain't true or isn't anywhere near as 'bad' and have a great time in spite of!! Lucky us to be so positive 'cause all our cruises are great (well good anyway) - sad for those others!! Happier cruisin' all!
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Griffen (aka ? in previou

i completely agree w/ this thread. Who cares about $3.95?
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
First Mate

I also agree. I have not cruised yet and I'm keeping all the info in perspective.

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Admiral

I care about the money. When you take several kids and they want to eat there it adds up fast.. and I do mean fast. I don't drink so I do save there but when you have kids that seem to ONLY eat burgers and fries then it CAN break you. They never chergesd for them before. They shouldnot statr now or if they need to charge up the cruise price and NOT nickle and dime you to death.,
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Admiral

A similar thread was going on this same thing a few weeks ago and I sorta caught some flack for saying what most folks here are saying---- don't let a hamburger ruin your cruise or threaten to boycott a cruise line over a hamburger that isn't what it's cracked up to be anyway. The way to express your displeasure is to simply not spend money at Johnny Rockets and they will soon get the message.

ssatterly---- your kids can have all the burgers, dogs, pizza, ham, chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. etc. that they can possibly consume at the buffets, dining room, room service etc at no extra charge. Johnny Rockets is something that you don't have to do. You will have more than enough food without ever sitting foot near the place.
It's not nickel and diming you. Its a choice---eat at Johnny Rockets and pay, or don't eat there. No biggee that I can see.
What about the alternative restaurants that almost all ships have now that charge $ 20-25.00 per person for dinner--- they are so popular that you have to have reservations to get in --- never hear anyone fuss at all about them--- just hear about $ 3.95 at Johnny Rockets.
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Stop Scaring First Time Cruisers !!!!!!!

This is for Satterly - suggest u be the 'parent' and tell your 'kids' what and where they can eat - makes them respect u and your pocketbook will be fuller too right? As 'Ron' states quite clearly - u have a choice of paying or not for the 'extras' of which JR is one - exercise it & don't complain so much please!
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Steve,
Good point! Try a small hot dog and 20g bag of chips on Main Street in Disneyland for $4.79- and a lousy dog at that.

BTW We WERE cheap on our first cruise but we smartened up on the next ones. We're on vacation and will worry about the on board account when we get home.

So if you're wondering we don't smuggle booze, pop, water, cigs, portable BBQ, cooler, etc. on board. Actually the smokes are dirt cheap so that would be silly <G>

richard

Old April 15th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Admiral

you try telling a 6 and 9 year old n o you can't have a hamburger when thats all they will eat due to them being so pickeyand see how far you get. It would not be very far.The way I look at things if it aint broke don't fix it. And JR's was not broke and MOST people DID NOT have a prblem waiting for it I have talked to RCI about it and they said that they ONLY reason they are even doing it is due to the number of people who want to eat there. So fine give then one of thoses resturant pager things and then when its their turn page them. I know just about every resturant that I have been to has that and does do that.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:03 AM
First Mate

Ssaterly - please tell me u are 'joking' right! I wld be embarassed to admit I had to bow to the demands of children. The rule is 'when u pay the bill u make the rules'!! Not tell a 6 - 9 yr old where & what to eat and having them tell u what they want and they won't eat anything else? This is so simple - see how long they last by refusing to eat - I guarantee u won't wait long.... It's how I raised mine & now I am a happy grandmother with well behaved, respectful grandchildren as well....I can not believe there are parents like u around - no wonder some 'kids' are so screwed up...Sorry but u aren't doing them or yourself any favors by acting like a 'doormat '!!! Anyway the actual issue is with charging for 'extras' on a cruiseship - I believe the point is - pay for them or pay more for the cruise - take your choice??? Happy cruisin'!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Admiral

I wish I could do that but thier father all he feeds then is bugers and fires so thats all the will ever eat I have tried to make them eat other and better stuff but every time I do hey run to their daddy and I end up BACK in court for trying to FRORCE them to do stuff he claims child abuse every time I do anything he does not like. So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. ONLY if you were in my shoes then MAYBE you would understand. I myslef HATE burgers and fries due to all of this.
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:02 PM
croozbabe

Aren't there other places to get burgers and fries besides Johnny Rockets that do not charge extra? Like at the grill by the pool? And, besides, when you take the kids to McDonalds or any other fast food joint at home, doesn't it cost you more that $3.95??? Come on, get real....
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Not sure if there are other places on the ship to get that or not never been yet. And Where i live they can eat at Mickey Dee's for LESS than $3.95 And on a 7 day trip brugers soooo many times does add up real fast.
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
First Mate

I heard that the Windjamer has the same burgers as JR.

Old April 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
croozbabe

Maybe you should just stay home and go to McDonalds everyday...that way you would save a lot of money, don't you think?
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Moai
I hope they do cause we all want to go and have fun. We have planned this trip for allmost 2 yaers now. And Thnak You for seeming to be the ONLY one who seems to understand and Care. Some Ok MOST of thses people are just plain RUDE.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Sorry ssaterly - I sympathize but dear, I have been there - was divorced once and raised two children with a very similar Dad and my advice still stands. Your kiddies have learned to 'divide and conquer' and they are stronger than either of u two...they are learning that people are to be manipulated and only their needs are important and GEE guess what they will become & do in later life?? If u won't be smart & stand up for the best & right things for them who will - obviously not the father.. The end result will be very disappointing but I guess u need to have regrets and you will. Sorry I could'nt help u!!