Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Radiance of the Seas

Does anyone have any useful info on the Radiance of the Seas? I'm sailing to Alaska in July. This is my first cruise!!! Griffen
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Radiance of the Seas

You picked the most amazing ship! I am going on my second cruise and my second time on the radiance! Feel free to email me for any questions!
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Passenger

We sail on Radiance on Sunday, all I have read on the boards about her have been good.
I'm sure all who sail on her have a great time. .....enjoy!

Paddy

Old April 16th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Carley

Going to Alaska on the Radiance May15th!!! I will post a review when I return!!
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You guys will absolutely love Radiance, my favorite Royal Caribbean class of ships, especially in Alaska. We cruised Radiance in the Southern Caribbean 2 years ago and it was great. I did write a review you can read through and pics at the end:

Radiance review

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Yeoman

Three trips on the Radiance and now the Jewel next month so my 2 pennies think you will love her!
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Radiance of the Seas

Hi Robbie,
Please be sure to tell us all about Jewel, we just booked for Jan 28th and can't wait already.....

thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
hcat

Donna Where are you cruising to on Jewel?
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Hi Hcat,
This will be a Cruisemates cruise on Jewel, sailing from St. Lauderdale, 8 days, San Juan, Antiqua, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau... Nice itinary and we leave on a Sat. and return on Sun, so it works out very nicely...All the info should be posted soon..

Want to come along?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Has anyone stayed in the Royal Family Suite? I'm going with a group of 12 and someone booked this for themselves, not me Also what is there to do in port (Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway) and what is the weather like (mid July)? Thanks to everyone who responded! Griffen
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am going to alaska on the radiance in May and we have booked Captain Larry in Juneau (which is a must-do excursion) he has the best whale watching ecursion out there but book early eniough because he does not gothrough the cruise lines and only allows 23 ppl on board at a time to create a intimate ride.

In skagway we have booked the Whitepass Railway which is also supposed to be great and do not have anything booked in ketchikan, yet.

It really all depends on your budet, as well as individual interests.
If you go to the Alaska forum on this site and read old threads you may come up with many ideas. Also visit the RCI website under shore and land excursions and they describe many tours which you can book either through the ship or independently.

But I definitely recommend Capt Larry!!!!!

Best of luck!

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:01 PM
hcat

Donna, This is tempting--that's my birthday week!(just did a similar itin on Summit but. I am thinking about it--esp if the price is right for a cabin with a balcony!
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Hi Hcat,
Feel free to e-mail me at donnanye@cruisemates.com and I'll give you the prices. They seem reasonable to me being a new ship, but certainly not cheap.....I was able to get an aft balcony cabin, which are great, but they are hard to come by....just let me know and I'll e-mail you the info...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 16th, 2004, 07:43 PM
TK

We sailed the Radiance March, 2003 -- absolutely loved her. We particularly enjoyed the Colony Club with the self-levelling pool tables and the solarium. Imagine riding the sea-facing glass elevators in Alaska! Enjoy!
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

There will be children in our group. Will they be able to use the Pool Tables/ Solarium? Thanks for all the responses!
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Karen and Bob

If you send me an E-Mail and let me know what you want to know I will send you all of the information you want on the Radiance. We are leaving on the Radiance on May 8 and it will be or 74th. RCCL voyage. The Radiance is our most favorite ship. We are sailing in July too. Which week for you. You picked the most wonderful ship of all.

Karen
Old April 17th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Carley

To Karen and Bob

WOW! 74th!! I am going on the cruise following yours..Any weather info about May in Alaska????
Old April 17th, 2004, 11:51 PM
WT

Took Radiance to Alaska in Sep. 2003. Round trip from Vancouver. The ship was beautiful. There were pool tables, pink pong tables, miniture golf, rock wall climbing, salarium. A lot to do for the 3 sea days. It was elegant and morden sculpture and art works were displayed throughout the ship. The glass elevators in the centrum were one of a kind. Our room was on the 9th floor with balcony. It was big (200 sq ft) compared to other cruises. We used the balcony a lot, especially at Hubbard Glacier. It was very windy throughout the cruise. Be prepare and bring a warm jacket.

We didn't book any tour with the ship. We came from the cold Northeast so we see alot of snow and ice and icy ocean. Seeing the glacier was great but had no desier to walk on them. We also did some whale watching at home so doing whale watching in the cold Alaska water wasn't appealing to us. There are several tour booths at the pier of Juneau. We book a city & Manden Hall Glacier tour for $20 at the pier. The bus took us throght the small city of Juneau, then onto Manden Hall Glacier. We had 45 minutes on our to explore the area adjacent to the glacier. Then the bus drove us through the woods and see the beautiful scenary before heading back to the pier. It was a great trip and we had some time to do shopping.

In Skagway, we brought the went on the Whitepass Rail Excursion on our own. The train ride through the mountains with guide telling stories. It was a nice ride. You could either get off the train in downtown or at the pier. It was only a 10 minute walk from the pier to downtown. Skayway was very small and cute with shops.

In Ketchikan, we did our own walking tour. You can pick up a map from the tourist office. We walk 30 mintues to the Egale Mt. Salmon Hatchery, Totem Heritage center. On the way, we passed Creek St. where we saw salmon swam upstream, and a harb seal in the water. We also saw people fishing and caught some large salmon. Shopping was right across from the ship. Ketchikan was the wettest port, it rains 360 days a year. Natually, it rained when we were there. It was very commercialized and the least favorit port. Shopping was much the same amount the 3 ports, similar stores. Prices was the best in Juneau and Skagway. Ketchikan was the most expensive.

Food was good. We had breakfast at the Windjammer, buffet everyday. It was very crowded. Manager had to keep reminding people to use other lounge area to enjoy the view after breakfast so that they would seats for others to eat. We had to hunt for a table every morning. Once we settle down, breakfast was very enjoyable. We like Alaska, and we love the Radiance of the Seas.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:15 AM
TK

Griffen, I don't know whether children are allowed to use the pool tables aboard the Radiance, but the Solarium contains a pool for adults only. However, children do have their own pool in a different spot on the ship and can be in the main pool.
Old April 18th, 2004, 04:15 PM
shmeidly

We went on the Radiance in March. My 13 year old son was, indeed allowed to play pool in the Colony Club. Children do need to have adult supervision while playing.