Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to FUNSHIP
Default Atlantis Submarine

I'm going on the 2/19/2005 "enchantement of the seas" to grand cayman. I was looking over the excursions that my wife and 6 year old son would like. Anyone have any positive OR negative comment regarding the "ATLANTIS SUBMARINE"? They say it goes 100 feet down and is supposedly fun. Anyone here actually been on it. Any thoughts? TIA
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Atlantis Submarine

i did the Atlantis off of St. Thomas. Here are my thoughts: It is very "programmed". There are planted items like anchors and "shipwrecks". A scuba diver follows the submarine with a mesh bag full of dog food, which he releases to attract crowds of fish. The Atlantis is just like the old Disneyland submarine ride...you sit in plaxtic molded seats with your face right up to a "porthole". You'll need a special film to take pictures that will turn out, and which they gladly sell to you. The trip was about 45 minutes, and it is a real submarine...just touristy. You get a certificate at the end of the trip. Personally, I felt I paid too much for it, and wouldn't do it again, BUT - it would probably be a great first-time experience...especially for kids. It's one of the more expensive excursions. From St. Thomas, we had to take a 45-minute boat ride (each way) to the Atlantis. I'm not sure about Cozumel.
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to FUNSHIP

Thanks for the imput. Sounds like something that would be good for a "one time" experience.
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Yeoman

"One time" is right! It was on one of my first cruises (around 1990), and at the time, we thought it was great! They told us that we went down about 150 ft. The best thing was that on the boat ride back to St. Thomas, I started talking to another couple, and we found out that we lived about six blocks apart! We also got a plastic fish card.
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM
GrannyJ

We did the Atlantis Submarine in Grand Cayman a few years ago. It was something different to do, but I can't really say we saw a whole lot. It just seemed to be the same thing over and over. Very few fish. Maybe it was just a bad day. It also got a bit hot in there toward the end. It was interesting to watch the color "leaching" out of everything inside the submarine. Not being a scientist, I can't give much of an explanation but I was told it was because of the lack of ultraviolet rays that deep down. Everyone had faintly blue lips and dusky skin and brightly colored clothing looked drab. I think kids would have a good time but I'm not sure it was worth the price. Anyone who is claustrophobic wouldn't have a good time; there was a woman on our trip who was not having a very good time....she was able to keep it together but was definitely suffering.