Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Chiromig

Default Just back from the AOS 4/18 sailing

Just got home from the Adventure of the Seas. Had a good time!!! Thanks to all of those posters who have helped me prior to my trip. Now it is time to return the favor. If anyone has questions regarding the AOS or it's ports of call, I will try to answer them as best as possible.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:04 AM
theseasforme

Default Re: Just back from the AOS 4/18 sailing

Glad you had a good time. We sail June 13th- Any recommendations on excursions? Any comments on the ports will be appreciated.
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Sailing on AOS on July 11.

We are flying in the night before but don't arrive in San Juan until 10pm so booked a room based on price rather than ameneties since we will basically only be using it to sleep. Staying at the Diamond Palace. Do you have any knowledge of that hotel?

Did you do the itinerary that included Aruba? What excursions did you take in all the ports?

I'm hearing how awful the crowds and lines are at the airport. Are they as bad as it sounds? Also, what time were you able to disembark and get to the airport (we have a 2:30 flight)?

I don't have any questions regarding the ship because we sailed on the Voyager, so I'm assuming its pretty much the same. Thats why we booked AOS, because we loved the Voyager so much.

Any advice and recommendations regarding the ports/excursions would be helpful.

Thanks!

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Chiromig

Default Re: Re: Just back from the AOS 4/18 sailing

Hi LaurieM,

I flew into SJU the nite before also and stayed at a little hotel close to the Diamond Palace. I know where it is. Seems like a nice hotel, It is actually across the street from Walgreens, it is opened 24 hours and if you left something behind it is great to pick up the last minute and forgotten items. There is a little cafe on Ashford ave. right next to Walgreens great place to get a cheap breakfast. Think it is called the Latin Star.

The hotel is less than 15 mins from the pier and we got charged $14.00 to get to the pier. One advice, get there early!!!! we got to the pier at 10:15 am and were number 10 on line. They opened the doors at 10:45 am and we had our seapasses in hand by 10:50 am. Then we sat in the famous white chairs. Once you check in walk towards the window and make a right sit in that first group of chairs that is the first group to board. We boarded at 1:15 pm due to problems with customs clearing the ship off from the last cruise but normally they told us they board at 11:30 am.

We did do the Aruba route. In Aruba we rented a jeep and did the trip on our own. The island has not signs but is not that hard to navigate. It is cheaper doing this than the ships excursions. Curacao, we did the canoe and snorkling tour. It was a total waste of money. Curacao is not a beach island since all the beaches are man-made. If I would do it again I would do a simple island tour and just shopped. If you are looking for linens buy it in Curacao. St. Marteen went to Orient beach on our own since I have been there 2 times and know it is cheaper to take a cab there. St. thomas same thing for Megan's Bay, taxi on our own and then shopping on Main Street.

We got off the ship at 9:00am and were outside by 9:30 am. We snuck out with the 12:30 pm and earlier flight groups since they don't check your airline tickets. We got off at that time since I had a cousin picking us up at the pier since our flight didn't leave until 8:30 pm. That leaves me to your airport question. Since we had a late flight we had no problems but I assume it was a mad house since there were 4 ships unloading passengers.

Hope I was of some help
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Yes, Chiromig, you were a great help.
I was unclear about the distance from the hotel to the pier...thanks for that info.

And thanks for all the port/excursion advice.

I am going to print out your suggestions to share with my family.

:-)

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Passenger

What time was the late seating for dinner?
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM
chiromig

I had Late seating and it was at 8:30 pm everynite except for the first nite, which was at 9 PM due to the Muster Drill which was at 8:30 pm
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM
Passenger

thanks for your offer,
trying to book 2005 spring break with AOS, I have never been to Aruba & curacoas. Any advice to do there with using the ship excursioon. Did you stay in San juan before cruising ? what to do there and where to stay with little children.
Any other advise will help...
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
chiromig

Cruising:

I stayed in San Juan the nite before flew in that evening. We didn't do much but just had a drink at a local bar and then went to bed. San Juan has alot of history, try to go to Old San Juan if you get there early.

I can't really advise anything regarding children since I don't have any. As for shore excursions from the ship, an island tour is always a good way to learn the details and the highlights of an Island. I don't know how old your children are so I can't suggest any active tours like snorkling or jeep tours in Aruba. I personally took only one tour in Curacao and it wasn't worth the money (canoe and snorkling safari). Aruba we rented a Jeep and did the island on our own.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Passenger

Thank you.