Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Default FLL to MIA

What is the least expensive method of getting to Miami from Fort Lauderdale airport? We are flying in the day prior and overnighting at a Miami hotel before boarding sunday am. Do you think super shuttle would be the easiest? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: FLL to MIA

I do business with a guy in Ft Lauderdale and will ask him... It probably will be Tuesday before he replies..
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: FLL to MIA

Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: FLL to MIA

Hi Jim:
I am told there are two options... The cheapest is to take the Tri-Rail and to connect to Metro-Rail.. These are public transportation and the cost would be about $ 5/person. However be advised that depending on how hardy and well traveled you are this could be a little more than you bargained for. Metro Rail goes thru some tough neighborhoods but my friend tells me he has always felt safe on the train. Also if you are hauling a lot of baggage this might be somewhat trying. The other option is to take a shuttle service called Airport Express, shared ride option. It would cost about $ 15 per person. Their web address is : www.floridalimo.com.
My friend uses this company all of the time and advises they are reliable and safe. You may have to wait about 15-30 minutes after landing to get onto a shared ride limo/shuttle. The company guarantees no more than a 30 minute wait.
Hope this helps...
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:39 PM
hcat

We received this same advice & will use the shared ride to the Miami pre- cruise hotel. We will then need a way to get back to a hotel close to FLL airport to stay over after the cruise unless our local airline has an afternoon flight (for now they only have very early & evening leavig s with a day to sit in the airport...)..maybe the same company can pick us up. As for supershuttle, they seem to mainly deal with airport service in Miami. We had an awful experience with them trying to get from Miami cruiseport to the Hilton hotel. After the rep. took our money & gave us the tix to board, the driver absolutely refused to take us anyplace but to the airport so we did not board. Took awhile to get a refund on the spot & wasted alot of time--finally took a cab. We complained to the company when we got home but the experence left a bad taste for super shuttle... What hotel are you stayng at in Miami..we are thinking of trying Priceline for the first time--
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:13 PM
hcat

any other info will be appreciated--
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM
LucieRiki

We took a taxi from Miami port to FLL airport for $60 plus tip because we were trying to catch an earlier flight (unfortunately, it didn't work out). There are numerous private cars available for hire from anywhere from $75 and up. There is always the shuttle buses (really Greyhound buses) that RCI offers for $16 per person one way.

We just got off the Explorer and had a great time! I wish you the same!
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info! I think I can handle the transfer!
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Mark&Deb

Through our TA & RCCI we had gone day prior. So we took the super shuttle from FLL to MIA where we stayed. Then the next day a bus (regular coach w/air conditioning, etc) picked us up & took us to FLL again. All it cost us was the tip - same thing from the port to the airport.

Mark&Deb
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to dawnrn1

We are flying into FLL and leaving out of Miami. Got a rental car for $40 day and there are four of us so that will be alot cheaper. It is a full size car and then when we are in Miami Beach we can go where we want. Next am take to hotel and leave it. We are going june 19th let you know how that works. Also we book with hotwire.com and have always gotten great deals. This time a 4 star for $100 night and on their website rooms start at $250.

Dawn

Old May 8th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

Give Priceline a try. Last October, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency and the Radisson Miami (both 3 star) for the before and after cruise stay. I bid and got the rooms for $35/night. The Radisson is older and being updated; the Hyatt is nice enough. Both hotels are within a short taxi ride to the pier and close to South Beach.

Adventure of the Seas
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM
hcat

I assume you bid for Miami & not Miami Beach to get the closest hotels to the pier? How far ahead should we do this for a cruise next March?
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Jim J.

We did the same thing over Christmas. We simply got a hotel that had free airport transfers to and from in Fll, and booked the transfers from FLL to the ship in Miami. The hotel returned us to the airport at our leisure, and we had plenty of time to get to Miami and to the ship
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Jim, what hotel did you stay at in FLL, and how did you book the transfers from the hotel to the ship in Miami?

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:47 PM
hcat

Jim I am trying to follow this--did you take a free shuttle to a Ft Laud area hotel from the Ft Laud airport & the next day take a free shuttle back to the Fll airport for the cruiseline transfer to Miami? Seems like alot of back & forth. But it might be good for us after our cruise if we can't get a same day flight home. Our only post cruiseport experience at Miami was not very pleasant with the Super Shuttle & at least with the cruiseleine transfers we know we could get to the Fll airport & can then get to a local FLL hotel... Thanks for the info!
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Bump

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Yeoman

We did the same thing Jim did and though it seems like a lot of transfering, we were dropped right off at the door of the airport and didn't have any problems at all. As a matter of fact, we had our luggage come in on a later flight not intentionally but it didn't get put on our plane . Once we got to the lost baggage area to report it missing, they said it would be on the next flight in about 11pm or so. So we took avantage of the situation and we set it up that instead of them delivering it to our hotel that night, we told them to lock it up in the lost luggage office. They said they would call us to verify that it showed up and keep it over night for us so all we had to take back to the airport that morning was the carry ons. So whoever didn't put our luggage on our flight did us a favor!

Our cruiseline happened to be NCL so don't know the RCCL pricing of the transfer but ours was only $30 for the two of us and a rental car and taxi would have been alot more expensive for two people. For more than two people, I would probably rent a car.

Luanne

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:15 PM
hcat

What hotel did you use tha thad the free transfer to & from FLL?