Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Marina

Default Is 3320.00 too much to pay for a RCCl Explorer cruise (balco

Hey all.

I am booking the Explorer for our July 18th cruise this summer. I have done my homework & the absolute best deal I could find is a D2 balcony on deck 9 for 1660.00 per person (3320.00 for both of us, all port taxes/gov. fees included)

I used cruise compete & am planning to book with the cruise professionals. I just booked my southern carrib. cruise for Feb. 2005 with them, so they gave me an even better deal than they advertised on cruisecompete.

I know I will not get a lower price anywhere (we had to go with a balcony because all the oceanviews are sold out for this sailing & my Dh Hates inside cabins)

My question is, this price seem way too high for an Explorer cruise in mid-July? The highest I have ever paid for a cruise was 1200. per person for our NCl Pride of Aloha balcony cabin for our Hawaiian Cruise this August.

1660. just seems like a lot to spend per person for a cruise. I could have paid less to go on the Celebrity Century, or Carnival Glory that week but we have never sailed RCCL before & would love to try them. Also, the Explorer boat sounds like a destination in itself!

What do you think? I guess I feel guilty paying so much for a cruise, help me justify it to my Dh! ( :

Thanks for any all advice,
You guys are the best!
~ Marina
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Is 3320.00 too much to pay for a RCCl Explorer cruise (b

All the Voyager class ships are priced high, especially in the summer, because of they're in big demand, particularily with families. The ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls etc are turning out to be a big draw.

I'm personally not a big fan of that class of ship, and wouldn't spend the extra $$ to take one. However, in the summer months RCI unfortunately don't leave alot of ships in the Caribbean, other than Voyager Class.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
First Mate

How about going on the Adventure on the same date? I think they still have some outside cabins available.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:08 PM
Yeoman

Oh my! I'd rather try the ship during a cheaper season. We booked The Mariner for Dec. 5th for 980.00 pp. Deck 9 D2 mid ship. I couldn't justify spending that much money.
I would stick with Carnival Glory and do RCCL another time when it's less money. Sorry I couldn't try and convince your dh. So many other things you could do with the money.

IF this was the ONLY time you could go on RCCL, that's another thing. But you could probably go another time?

JMO
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am booked on the Explorer of the Seas for 10/10/04 and I got a good deal for a E2 cabin. I paid under 900.00 (this cabin is on mid ship and it is a deluxe cabin with balcony.) Keep in mind that my cruise is considered to be in hurricane season but this does not bother me.

David.........................
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:02 PM
KC

Hey, I'm one of those that can only go in the summer and it has been perfect weather for me. I went last June and it was not too hot. I too want to experience the Voyager class ship and am booked on the Navigator in June. The thing to consider is how bad do you want to go on this ship. I want to go badly. I checked around and found an inside cabin for 1000 per person. I have called back and found some outside cabins that were available. It never hurts to check again and again. I don't think your price was too high for the summer time. It seems to be what everyone was quoting me.
K
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:20 PM
browezilla

I just checked Icruise.com, which is one of my favorite sites. You get instant pricing and I've found them to be among the best prices out there. Their price is $3425, so it sounds like you got a pretty good deal. You may want to check them out anyway. Their credit card affinity program is the best I've seen. They return about 3.5 % of everything you spend on the card toward a future cruise booked with them.

The Voyager class ships are in high demand, and I've heard they sell cabins faster than any other ship in any fleet. ....and then, if you are traveling when school children are out, that drives up the price too due to supply and demand.

So if this is the ship, date, itinerary, and room category you want, then it looks to me like you got a good deal given those parameters.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Dave P

The prices of cruises are based on a supply and demand system. Obviously in the summer and near holiday's they crank up the prices for the same room category. We always go the third week of October and have come to find that the rates are priced very low and the weather is still perfect.

Your price of $3320 is about double what you would pay for the same room, on the same ship in October, or most any other month in the fall. We are booked on the Adventure Of The Seas for October 17th to the Southern Caribbean and for $3350, we are in a Grand Suite category. But again, some people like or have to travel in the summer and the rates will be higher, just like some people have to pay more if they want a balcony, even though everything else on the ship a person gets is identical.

Good Luck.

Dave
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM
hcat

Sounds high to me but perhaps not on a comparative basis. We stick to mid mega size ships & have gotten much better prices for March which we thought was the high demand season....Cruising in the summer to a warm climate isn't that appealing to me but guess that's the time families can go!
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:33 AM
CF

I think you need to explore other voyager class ships. That seems like alot to me, but then again if it is the itinerary you want for the exact dates, then go for it. I would look into the others in that class to be sure you can't get something comparable on another ship for less. Adventure, Navigator, Voyager, Mariner, and Explorer are all pretty much the same as far as what they offer with the exception of departure port and destinations.