Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:52 PM
APFr.

Default RCI does not own Brilliance of the Seas

For all you "RCI experts" out there, here is something new I found out today. RCCL is leasing Brilliance of the Seas.

I own a small amound of RCCL stock and I recieved the annual report today. I was suprised to see that they were commented on how their lease on Brilliance of the Seas may experience higher interest rates than usual with the economy. The lease is for 25 years and has an optional termination period after 10 years where RCCL would be forced to pay the remainder of the 25 year lease for the sale of the vessel. The document does not specify the lessor.

If you go to this page, and scroll down to page 31, there is alot written about it. There is also alot written about it elsewhere in the document.

It never even crossed my mind.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:54 PM
APFr.

Default Re: RCI does not own Brilliance of the Seas

Oh and the link is here:

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...rcl&script=700

2003 Annual Report.
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:33 AM
APFr.

Does anyone care? I'm seroius, read the document (2003 annual report) on page 31!
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Admiral

Adam, The BR is owned by Halifax Leasing (September) Ltd.
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
First Mate

Hello!

While I cannot speak to the cruise ship industry particularly, it is common business practice to lease capital equipment, rather than an outright purchase. Most of the time it is done for tax purposes, I would presume. Again, I can't specifically say that this is the case here, but the fact that RCI leases ships wouldn't surprise me.

I'm wondering why this is such a concern for you?
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:49 AM
venice

that's a common practice for tax benefits..most airlines don't own their planes, they lease them
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM
APFr.

It's the first time I've heard of it being done in the cruise industry! Roland, do you happen to know of any other ships that are not owned by the cruise line?

Thanks
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Adam,

[i] For all you "RCI experts" out there, here is something new I found out today. RCCL is leasing Brilliance of the Seas.

I own a small amound of RCCL stock and I recieved the annual report today. I was suprised to see that they were commented on how their lease on Brilliance of the Seas may experience higher interest rates than usual with the economy. The lease is for 25 years and has an optional termination period after 10 years where RCCL would be forced to pay the remainder of the 25 year lease for the sale of the vessel. The document does not specify the lessor. [/i[

This is actually a fairly standard arrangement in the maritime industry. In fact, there's usually a separate corporation for each ship and the ship's officers actually sign their contracts with that corporation. Further, the ship corporations usually have enough outside ownership to guarantee that they are not "related corporations" with the principal corporate entity of the line. Such arrangements exist primarily for reasons of legal liability -- if a ship causes in a collision at sea or some other disaster, such arrangements prevent the injured parties or other creditors from touching the line's other ships to settle the debts.

Incidentally, the designation of "owners' suites" or desigation of suites by names of owners (i. e. the "Anderson Suite" and the "Wilcox Suite" aboard MV Grand Princess) usually does have real significance. Tthe major outside owners of the ship's corporation usually do have a legal right to use those suites whenever they wish, though they seldom actually go aboard.

Norm.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Post Edited (05-13-04 19:51)
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: RCI does not own Brilliance of the Seas

Sorry, wrong post...
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: RCI does not own Brilliance of the Seas

To the best of my recollection, the LG and SP for instance, are owned by Cruise Vision One and Cruise Vision Two respectively.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: RCI does not own Brilliance of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: RCI does not own Brilliance of the Seas

No big deal and you´re not missing anything Debby!
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:37 PM
hcat

I learned something whether it's abig deal or not to some.--