Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Suggestions for me on the Mariner?

Have always cruised with Carnival, and recently Disney. Going on The Mariner this year. My first time with RCCL. Any recommendations from anyone that has gone already? Anything special to check out. Any shows a must?! Any foods that are to die for. We're on deck 9, midship with a balcony. Going to Cozumel, Gr. Caymans, Ochos Rios and guessing Coco Cay to replace Labadee. Only been to Cozumel.

Any suggestions for anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Judi Madden

Default Re: Suggestions for me on the Mariner?

Don't miss the Ice Show! You'll LOVE it! Get your tickets as soon as you get on board and they are available! Once you sail away on one of these BIG ships (the Voyager Class RCCL) you'll never want to go on a smaller one!!!!! I'm strictly a Voyaager Class girl now!!!!
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:18 PM
CF

I was on the ship with that itinerary last month. I had a cabin just like yours, same deck midship. I would try to get something closer to the back next time. Since the elevators are on each end, you are constantly walking what seemed like half the ship everytime you left your cabin, and half a ship this size can get long after a week. I do agree the ice show is a must, but I couldn't get tickets right away. They had a ticket handout at a certain time(I think it was Monday at 4pm) for all three shows. Availability was 1st come-1st serve. Because I forgot, I got there just at the end and only had 1 show available. They will seat you at another show if there is room. The parades are alot of fun too.
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM
trish1c

The panoramic view from the bar atop the smokestacks is amazing. Even if you're not a big drinker, go up there just to look around.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for the ones so far. Will write these down. Anymore you can think of, please let me know. I'm really looking forward to it. Our room is just down the hallway from an elevator. Thought of that when I picked our room. I feel I was lucky to get what we did. They only have suites left for our Dec. 5th sailing! And I booked it a few months ago. This must be some ship!
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Suggestions for me on the Mariner?

We'll beon the Mariner in Feb 2005 and we were told it was almost sold out already!!! It is a popular ship, huh?

Our cabin is near the back so we're really close to the elevators....YEAH.

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:51 PM
First Mate

We were on Mariner in April, Deck 8 aft with balcony. Lovely room. We did the E. Caribbean route.

I missed out on ice show tickets but was able to sneak in one night. I didn't realize that they only hand out tickets one time, early in the week, for all the shows during the week. Show was good. Had fun ice skating, and swimming. Our balcony was small but I loved it anyway. Stateroom was bigger than we were used to with a fold out couch for the kids.

We dined at Chops one night, I recommend it. Diningroom food was good too, the lobster was the best, also the crab cakes and shrimp cocktail. Best dessert was the chocolate dessert we had at Chops.

Go everytime you see Krooze Komics mentioned, they were hilarious. When one of them nearly sat on my father-in-law's head, I thought I'd die.

Disappointment was they either ran out of Ben & Jerry's ice cream or something happened with the freezer, but I couldn't get any.

The food at Johnny Rockets was not that good, the entertainment is fun, they dance to YMCA and a couple other tunes, and of course someone is always playing those tunes. We had a fun dinner with the kids there, but the food is not as good as it is at the regular land-based Johnny Rockets.

You'll have a blast no matter what you choose to do.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Passenger

You'll LOVE the Mariner! I've been on her 3 times so far this year and just booked my 4th cruise on her for May 30th. I've done both the Eastern and Western routes on her. Both are great. As always, though, the ship is the destination for me! Try to go to Chops...it really is a GREAT dining experience. Ice show is awesome! I rather enjoy the main productions by the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers in the Savoy Theater. The parades down the Royal Promenade are really fun, as well. Any questions, let me know. I'm glad to answer anything I can.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:56 AM
First Mate

We did this exact trip on the Mariner Apr. 4-11. We had an awesome time. It was also our first RCCL trip. We have sailed Carnival 7 times and Princess 1 time. We loved RCCL and the Mariner, but found the dining room food a LITTLE better on Carnival, and Carnival's pizza was also MUCH better. Service was better on RCCL. You should try the specialty restaurants Chops and Portifinos. You will be charged extra to dine there. Also the ice show was NOT TO BE MISSED! Also the parades down the middle of the ship! Cozumel we rented a car and went beach hopping and snorkeling. Grand Cayman, Sting Ray City. Ocho Rios, Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville Restaurant / Bar. It is a beautiful ship. You will love it!
Libby
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

libby, who did you book your Sting Ray City excursion through? We sometimes do the ships excursions, but mostly do things on our own.
I'm not sure what we'll do in Ochos Rios. Thinking about Dunn's Falls, but not sure.

Will be interesting to compare this one to the many Carnival cruises we've taken. I'm very excited about going.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Ddow Dow

I HIGHLY suggest the river tubing excursion from the ship in Ocho Rios. What a riot. Will do it again if we ever get back. In Georgetown, Grand Cayman do the stingray and snorkel combo. It was a great time. Have fun.