Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Angela1

Default Infants on RCI

We have just returned from a week long cruise on Jewel of the Seas. What a beautiful ship with a friendly crew. But we do have one very big bone of contention.

Although it does state in the brochure that the Ocean Advernture Programme is for 3 year old + we telephone RCI customer services before we booked to tell them we were travelling with a 2 year old who is not potty trained and would this be ok. We were assured that so long as one of us stayed with him he would be able to use the Ocean Adventure facilities. No problem there then (we had done this with P & O last year and it had worked out very well).

On boarding we visited Ocean Adventure to see what facilities they had but were soon told that our son could not even put his feet on their carpet as he was still in nappies. We pointed out what customer services had told us but they just said that customer services always got this wrong and there was no way he could us Ocean Adventure.
So we could not use Ocean Adventure or the pools. For us this spoiled what would have been a fabulous week's cruising.
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Infants on RCI

Next time, email them and print out their response.
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM
browezilla

Write RCCL. They are very responsive to problems that you have encountered.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:52 PM
bestsy

Because of USPH standards no child in diapers are allowed in the room. Customer service misinformed you and you should take that up with them. They could be giving tons of wrong information out. The fact is, if they did allow your child in, the ship could've been fined and the youth staff could've been repremanded. USPH officers do suprise inspections all the time.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Angela1

As an excercise I rang RCI today and asked them if I would be able to take my son into Ocean Adventure as he was not out of nappies. I was assured that there would be no problem at all and in fact they would look forward to seeing him. Armed with that information and the name of the person I have spoken to I have written to them asking for an explanation.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Folgy

Default Re: Re: Infants on RCI

Royal Caribbean International's Guest Vacation Policy:

States:
Adventure Ocean Facilities Ages 3 to 17 years of age.

**Young childrenin diapers/pull ups/swimmers, may NOT use the whirlpools/Pools, EVEN if accompanied by a parent /guardian.

Doris Wilhelm
Customer Service Representative RCCL

Pretty much clear to me. There is a reason for this .It's called health and safety for all on board.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Angela1

I have checked, double checked and quadrupal checked the RCI brochure I have there is only one sentence in there which states that babies in Nappies are not allowed in Ocean Adventure. There is no mention at all about swimming pools or whirlpools.

The reason we called RCI before we booked the trip was to find out if he could use the facilities if one of us stayed with him, obviously we would not have even bothered to do this if the brochure had stated "EVEN if accompanied by a parent/guaradian". We were careful to explain he was still in nappies.
We were assured this would not be a problem. BY RCI giving this verbal assurance they changed the terms of their contract and when we were not allowed to use the facilities they broke the terms of the new contract.

It may state what you say in US literature but the UK brochures do not state that.

Your sarcastic comment at the end of your post was not called for I know all about health and safety and you cannot tell me that a baby in little swimmers is any more a health risk than a adult who cannot be bothered to get out of the pool to use the w.c.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Folgy

This is information I was given in an e-mail when I asked RCCL for their current rules and regulations. I do not want a poopy diapered/swimmers/pullups in the pool or hot tub with me.No place for an infant anyways.
As far as Adventure play is concerned. I hope they allow the infant in there for you.

They have conflicting policies all the time. I see it as rule breaking to accomodate pax that insist they will do as they wish anyways.There are many examples of this.

I am sorry if you felt I was sarcastic.My post was in No way intended to offend you. My fustration is that the quality of my cruise is often affected by poor parenting..ie., babies crying during dining(and not removed ) to this pool situation.I am voicing the other side of the coin(childless couple)
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
Yeoman

Angela1 - I don't think Folgy was trying to be sarcastic, and I do see the point of your post. I think that I've posted this information several times previously, but I will state again that: I work part-time as a TA here in the States, and It seems like I consistently get incorrect information from RCI reservation agents. It doesn't seem to matter what the question is, but I always feel like the agents are just giving me an answer to get me off the phone, because they really have no idea! There's a large turnover in the reservation department of all cruise lines, but it seems to me that RCI doesn't do a very good job of keeping current information accurate. For example, I had a client with a $50.00 FRIENDS COUPON that we needed to credit towards his cruise. The res. agent said I needed to overnight the original copy. Time and money later, I learned I could have just faxed a copy in. I've learned more from boards like this than from any res. agent! It also helps so much to chat with people who have been on the cruise and ship you are going to take. They've been there, and they know the score.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Yeoman

Angela1 - I don't think Folgy was trying to be sarcastic, and I do see the point of your post. I think that I've posted this information several times previously, but I will state again that: I work part-time as a TA here in the States, and It seems like I consistently get incorrect information from RCI reservation agents. It doesn't seem to matter what the question is, but I always feel like the agents are just giving me an answer to get me off the phone, because they really have no idea! There's a large turnover in the reservation department of all cruise lines, but it seems to me that RCI doesn't do a very good job of keeping current information accurate. For example, I had a client with a $50.00 FRIENDS COUPON that we needed to credit towards his cruise. The res. agent said I needed to overnight the original copy. Time and money later, I learned I could have just faxed a copy in. I've learned more from boards like this than from any res. agent! It also helps so much to chat with people who have been on the cruise and ship you are going to take. They've been there, and they know the score.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Angela1

Sorry Folgy if you weren't being sarcastic but RCI have really got my goat on this one.

As someone who did not have a child until I was nearing 40 I can fully appreciate your thoughts on poor parenting etc and I am very quick to make sure my child does not have the same effect on other people as some parents have inflicted on me in the past. I also believe that rules should be followed which is why we did not use Ocean Adventure or the pools or spas. We also only took him into the main dining room on one evening (he did not play up otherwise he would have been taken back to the stateroom) but one other evenings we simply either took in it turns to go to the dining room (the other had room service) or ate at the Windjammer.

My whole argument is that if RCI had told me that he would not be allowed to use Ocean Adventure and that he would not be allowed to use the pools we would never have booked. All they had to say is that their cruise line is no good for under 2s. Simple really. Instead of being honest with us it was left until we were on board the ship to tell us that there was no way he could use the said facilities. In fact the reception desk told us that not only was it US law but it was also strict company policy. Surely this is even more reason to put something in the brochures and have staff give out the right information. The more I think about this the angier I am at RCI for allowing this to happen.

As I have already said I have written to them about this and I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Folgy

Angela

I certainly understand your fustration and that of many other parents.It is not fair to anyone not to explain policies and adhere to them right up front.

My mother gave birth to me when she was 45 years of age. I was an only child.
Strangely enough my wife and I never had any desire to have children.