Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:01 AM
TootsieBell

Default Coco Cay

Is it just me and my husband, or is there anyone else out there that thinks Coco Cay is not worth the effort to take the tender? Now, when we take any cruise that features Coco Cay, we do not even get off the ship. The last time we sailed with friends, we did get off at Coco Cay because it was their first cruise, but the four of us did not stay long, and ended up going back to the ship for lunch.
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Coco Cay

We were in Coco Cay in March, and we totally loved the island. We went way over to the other side, and way down, and there was hardly anyone around us. They still had lots of lounge chairs and hammocks in this area. We did not do any of the snorkeling, as the water was still a little chilly for us. Talked w/others after, and they really liked the snorkeling. We will definitely try it next time.

Our favorite part of the itinery is the private islands. Labadee is also great. We are beach people, but not everyone loves the beach. The food may not be quite as good at the barbeque on the beach, but there is always the option to go back to the ship for lunch.

Sorry to hear you don't like Coco Cay, but we love it! Can't wait to get back to one of the private islands!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Love Coco Cay! What's not to love? There is a beautiful island, scantily clad babes in bikinis, bars, coco locos, beautiful water for picturesque photo ops, plenty of lounges and shade, water-sports, ect... I have been to Labadee as well. Would much rather spend the day on this island than trapesing around Nassau. I guess if you don't like these things you may as well stay in your cabin and watch TV or gorge on the buffet on the ship and take a nap. But can't you do that at home?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM
TootsieBell

We do love a beach, and have been to quite a few islands, including Turks & Caicos, Jamaica, Harbor Island, Cozumel, and Bermuda. All of which have some beautiful beaches. There is nothing special about Coca Cay.
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM
DaveKw

Coco Cay beats Nassau or Freeport any day. Love the place.Food ,Drink, Sun and Water. Ahhhhh the simple life
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

I loved CocoCay! We did the Kayaking Tour and it was soooo much fun! It is a beautiful private island.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Coco Cay

We also loved Coco Cay. The snorkeling there was wonderful. In fact it's one of our favorite stops while cruising.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:45 AM
TootsieBell

You people must have been to a different Coco Cay then I have been to. I tried it three times, including snorkeling there once.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Passenger

I will be going there in late July, I've heard good things about this Island and I am VERY excited about going!!! I want to try parasailing but my fiance is scared to do it. I'm kinda bummed about it!!! One of his friends had a bad accident with it, that's why. But i think we're gonna try snorkeling. should we buy our own snorkel equipment or can we use it there? do you have to rent it? if we do the excursion through the ship do we pay for gear and the excursion or just the snorkeling, gear separate? We don't really want to lug around the equipment b/c we'll be in Orlando for 4 days afterwards. any advice??? Thanks!!!
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We also loved Coco Cay. I would have rather spent another day there than gone to Nassau.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:22 PM
trish1c

TootsieBell -- my take on it was that it was just TOO perfect / cute. I enjoyed the day at the beach but would have liked it more w/o that annoying mantra of people constantly trying to sell me Coco Loco.

summergirl04 -- you can rent snorkeling equipment. If you want to bring your own, you still must rent & wear the safety vest / PFD. If your cruise goes to Key West, go parasailing there. We used Sebago on Williams Street. I was very concerned about safety & chose them b/c 1) they are members of the Key West Chamber of Commerce, 2). are fully insured under US law & 3). I found comfort knowing they abided by US rather than third world safety regulations. Maybe those concepts will allay your BF's concerns.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:50 PM
TootsieBell

There was nothing "perfect" about it. There are so many beautiful beaches in the Bahamas and elsewhere, but this is not one of them. We live in Florida, but I guess if we came from somewhere that was cold, any beach would look good.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm sorry Tootsie -- I meant contrived. The dripping sarcasm as I said "too perfect" apparentlly didn't come through in the post. :-) The buildings were all designed to look Carribean. The hammocks were placed "just so".

The beach itself was a bit rocky / pebbly. I'm glad I had water shoes. Also the snorkeling was fun b/c of the life guards throwing fish food into the water.

We did enjoy it. I guess I liked it b/c I didn't feel as though I should have been somewhere else soaking up culture instead of rays.

I am not trying to change your opinion on the subject. I don't like Nassau . I got off the ship to buy SO's teenager a t-shirt then, enjoyed a relaxing afternnon by the pool.

Viva la difference! Happy sailing
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Yeoman

Many cruise lines own (lease) their private islands for the benefit of their passengers. RCI has had Coco Cay on its itinerary for years, just as NCL has had Great Stirrup Cay on its itinerary for years. The first time I went to NCL's Great Stirrup Cay (1988??), the beach was so wide from the sand to the water, that we walked further down just to be closer to the water. We were there last in March of 2003, and that great sandy width had reduced itself to about four feet. Same thing has happened with Coco Cay. Thousands of cruisers trampelling the beach every week (twice a week) , weather, and the natural erosion have taken their toll on these islands. Beaches are always being eroded and re-built, but when cruise lines build man-made stone walls, paved pathways, and buildings in these islands, it doesn't allow much room for erosion. Cruise lines like HAL and Princess, which do not do short cruises (tendering thousands of cruisers once a week instead of twice a week) have much better private island beaches - IMHO. You can't beat HAL's Half Moon Cay for beauty and beaches!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Emm

Hm, i think too cocoa cay is overrated -- its like being on the ship with sand -- same waiters, same people , no scenery -- the water is cloudy , its usually hot -- the food is just ship food on paper plates. I usually go -- but everytime i think i'd rather enjoy the ship to myself than follow a herd to a beach. Our last cruise on the Mariner did not stop at a private island which was perfect for me
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
TootsieBell

There are nice beaches in Nassau. You just have to ask your taxi driver to take you to them. Also, if you like seafood, ask to go to "Fish Fry, also known as Arakay. Don't be afraid to take a public bus in Nassau. Only a dollar, and you pay as you get off the bus. Just remember to greet everyone as they enter the bus, as they all enter saying "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon". We have often used public transportation returning from Fish Fry or Cable Beach.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
First Mate

I suppose that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I didn't care for Nassau at all. The last time we stopped there, seems like lots of cruises pass through there, I didn't even get off the ship.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:51 PM
TootsieBell

Default Re: Re: Re: Coco Cay

There are some great places in Nassau, you just have to know where to go. We love to go there, even if it is just to eat conch salad or cracked conch
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:53 PM

I think the best thing about Coco Cay was jumping on a jet ski and hopping around all the little islands that surround the area -- it was amazing, like something you see in a movie. The water was so beautiful, I think much nicer than in Nassau/Paradise Island. Parasailing was also magnificent there. You just have to know the right things to do to enjoy your experience.