Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Crstyne

Default RCI vs Celebrity ??

Would love for some cruisers to give me some info regarding cruising with RCI. My best friend and I go on a yearly cruise with Celebrity each year - we are working on making our cruise a twice yearly event and are considering making our second cruise this year an RCI cruise in September. We are in our mid-thirties and are curious as to what differences we will see, the age group, etc.. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you..............
Crstyne
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: RCI vs Celebrity ??

Hi Crstyne,
You will see a bit younger crowd, more night time activities and a more active atmosphere. You will see some silly pool games and they have horse racing as well. The level of service is not the same as you are used to on Celebrity, but still excellent service both in the cabins and in the dining rooms, cafe's. I found the entertainment to be more to my liking on Royal Caribbean. Depending on what class ship you are going on, the "Voyager" class offers inline skating and ice skating, along with parades and an amazing ice show, you certainly don't want to miss.

What ship are you thinking about?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:09 PM
DavidN

We have sailed with RCCL twice and Celebrity once. We had a wonderful time on each cruiseline. There are differences. I guess that I would say that there is more of a 'white glove' or fomal atmosphere on the Celebrity line. For example, the waiters on Celebrity seemed to serve you and ther step back. While of RCCL, they wanted to get to know you - joked with you, etc.

The same with cabin attendants. On Celebrity, we never saw him after the first day. He did a great job - but did not go out of him way to stop and see how you were doing. On RCCL, great service and an effort to be friendly.

We enjoyed both - but have chosen to go back to RCCL. (July -- AOS) As for food and other activities, we did not see much difference.

My suggestion, try both. One problem. they do not honor each others repeaters programs. You would think since they are both owned by RCCL, your would get credit for either cruiseline.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
TootsieBell

Default Re: Re: RCI vs Celebrity ??

We have been on one Celebrity Cruise and ten RCI. Obviously, we prefer RCI. Also, Celebrity charges you to belong to their club, while the Crown & Anchor Club is free.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:03 PM
hcat

We like both--ships are nicer on Royal--more brass & glass but a more upscale ambiance on Celeb. We pick by ship, itin & our schedule! Only downside is we have not yet reached 5 cruises on either line from the swtiching back & forth. Will get there soon on Royal
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Crstyne

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the information. I believe we are looking at Navigator of the Seas. My friend always makes all the arrangements so I'm not a 100% positive on that. I assume the Voyager class is a larger ship??

Christine
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Crstyne

David - wanted to thank you for the information ( as well as everyone else!). It is very much appreciated and very helpful. Our travel agent had told us that we would be disappointed if we switched from Celebrity to another cruise line so that is why we have always held off trying another line. We would just like to try cruising with a slightly younger crowd on a slightly less formal ship. Thanks again!

Christine
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:53 PM
kvr

RCI is now charging for burgers, ff, or, RCI offers the same menu for lunch each day, never changes, RCI has the pool towels in your room not by the pool.

Celebrity has welcome aboard oj and champagne, they bring included drinks (leomande, ice tea and water) and sorbet out to the pool, they have ice cold towels when you come back from shore excursions. Celebrity no longer charges for the Captans Club. They have towels by the pool, no charge for burgers, lunch menu changes each day. They carry your tray at the buffet.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: RCI vs Celebrity ??

Yes Christine,
The "Voyager" class is the largest in the Royal Caribbean's fleet, lots to do onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Christine, our favorite cruiseline is Celebrity. We went on RCI Voyager this past February and really enjoyed it. I think from the sounds of what you are looking for that you will be very happy with a cruise on the Navigator or any of the Voyager class ships. I have a feeling you might even like it better than Celeb.

Phyll

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

kvr- they only charge for burgers at JR's, don't forget the Windjammer...
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:45 PM
sty39

You do know that Celebrity and RCL are the same company
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:34 AM
JohnH

They may be owned by the same company, but they are not the same at all. We have been on RCCL 16 times and on Celebrity four. Celebrity is a bunch of stuffed shirts while the crew is much nicer on RCCL. Celebrity is fine for the snobs, but RCCL is much better for normal folks. Celebrity deserts in the dining room have lots of fancy names, but the waiters have to bring around a tray with samples so you know what you are ordering. I would only cruise Celebrity again if they were going on an itinerary I could not get one someone else. I will say the rooms are nicer on Celebrity, but that is about it. Either one beats the hell out of staying home and going to work.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:24 PM
big apple

You may think only snobs travel on Celebrity but after over 30 cruises Celebrity wins in the overall cruise experience and by the way you will find this true with others who have travelled all the main line ships.For the record Celebrity has the best food and their alternative restaurant beats rcl no comparison. As for snobs I will take this over many of the otherships in a heart beat.The service also will far excede anything on rcl and again ask the experts what they think.By the way this snob booked on Voyager of seas in nov and we did explorer 2 yrs ago .Beats staying at home anytime.Each cruise line has their appeal but I will take celebrity when there is a choice.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:58 AM
croozbabe

Default Re: Re: Re: RCI vs Celebrity ??

Celebrity is not for snobs, its for people with class who enjoy and appreciate the finer things in life. Don't get me wrong, I also like RCI. But, if you're hoping for a more elegant and refined experience Celebrity is top-notch.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Yeoman

Was just on the Mercury in Feb and theJewel this month. Even in the Baltic, RCI was more relaxed regarding the dress code. If both companies went to the same place I would choose RCI but I am a blue jean type of guy and Celebrity folks liked to dress up more. The biggest perk I saw on Celebrity was the higher crew to passenger ratio.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Judweiser

Hi Christine! For my money, it's RCCL Voyger Class all the way! I scheduled for my 6th cruise on 6/6/04 out of San Juan on Adventure of the Seas.....my daughter got married on this ship in 2002! What a fun time! If you want to "never run out of anything to do" or just do "nothing at all" - RCCL is the greatest! RCCL is for ALL AGES! I'm turning 60 in July but, in my head, I'm still 30!!!!!! Believe me THIS ONE'S FOR YOU (AND YOUR FRIEND!) Judi
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Good advice and descriptions here - got to agree that Celebrity is RCCLs upscale and RCCL themself are mid-range. What is this 'snobs' bit? Why is one considered a 'snob' if u want and can afford white glove, fancier dining, stand back service? Seems to me that it is simply a 'different strokes for different folks' routine. Wld u want to be called a 'slob' if u prefer more laid back, causual dining & friendly service - I don't think so....?Just a little detail to consider hmmm? Hi to Big Apple! Happy cruisin' all :0)