Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM
rkamen

Default Legend or Inifinity

I am an avid supporter of Celebrity lines and love all of their ships. I will also be a Diamond member of RCCL with our 10th cruise this coming Sept 24th on Voayger.
With that said - here's the dilemma.

I always take a 10 day to 14 day cruise in early December as that is when I finish my busy season, and cruise prices are excellent prior to the holidays. I am looking at doing a 14 day San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale, 12/12 on Legenod of the Seas with a price of $1,099 per person (no air - I have tons of frequent flier miles to use). We also always book a low priced inside - as we gennerally get upgraded to a pretty decent cabin. We are virtually never in the cabin except to sleep - so we long ago decided to spend the annual cruise budget on more cruises per year rather than pricier cabins.

I have also looked at Infinity 14 day Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego, on 12/20. Virtually the same itinerary as the Legend - one less stop on the Pacific side. The Infinity for inside is $1,933 per person. Most of that upcharge is because of the Holidays (both Christmas and News Years on board). This trip is $834 per person more than the 12/12 sailing on the Legend. That in itself is a "quickie" 7 day cruise that we usally take in mid-March.

We have sailed many of the Vision class ships of which Legend is part of. We have also sailed other M class ships of Celebrity. My question.....is the Inifnity holdiay cruise worth the extra money over the Legend? Infinity might be more crowded and have more kids - considering the holidays. I want to book now so I can lock up my frequent flier tickets before flight selections disappear. I need to fly from Newark regardless of where the cruise begins or ends.

Any sugestions or insight? Anyone do this trip on either ship? Anyone been on Legend recently? We have been through the canal 3 times, so the canal is less of an attraction. I like the 14 days and the amount of At Sea days. That is the bigger attraction.

Thanks for all your input.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Neil Gillis

Default Re: Legend or Inifinity

See my review of "Legend of the Seas" on this site.

Neil
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:36 AM
mateli from quebec City,C

Legend of the Seas is a l995 ship, the Infinity is a 2001 ship I'd prefer the second one
if I go. You have more space in Celebrity ship than the other. Have a nice cruise
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:38 AM
rkamen

Neil,
I just finished reading your review. It was very well written and quite enjoyable to read.
I have been on other Vision class ships and I like their size and layout.

You have certainly helped me make up my mind about booking this trip.
Thanks
Bob
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Beginner

We did the Infinity last year (Dec 21) and we are doing the Legend this year (Dec 26) We honestly are not expecting the Legend to be as good as the Infinity. The food on the Infinity was great (every review we are reading about the Legend regarding food is not great) The Infinity was spacious, and even though it was sold out, we never felt crowded. Also, the entertainment was the best we had ever seen on a ship, and we've cruised a dozen times before.

However, we are like you and this year we would rather vacation more, and keep the spending down. We priced the Infinity and the Legend, and we are getting an outside cabin (deck 2) for $2000 less than the inside (deck 2) on Infinity. So, we expect that we will get what we pay for regarding food and amenities, but the ports and the weather will be the same. I am sure we will have a good time on the Legend, but we will try not to compare it to Infinity.

As a side note, we cruised the Granduer of the Seas in 2001, on an 11 day X-mas cruise, and we loved it. We are hoping the Legend will be similar.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Legend or Inifinity

HI. Hope this is not too late. We were booked on the Infinity last year and the cruise was cancelled because of a bad ball bearing, if I'm not mistaken. We received a free cruise, which isn't a bad deal, but limited choices of available cruises. While on board thiswinter, we heard from a rep in sales that the Infinity was agin in dry dock withe the same problem. And it would be in dry dock for some time. Apparently this was the third or fourth time this happened. Good luck.