Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Heidict Send a message via MSN to Heidict
Default Is it better to tip at the start or end of the Cruise?

I asked this questions originally in the tipping section of practical advise but have only gotten one response in the last week or so. Figured I would post it here, as this seems to be a busier place.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Adventure of the Seas in December. Should we automatically have them add the tip on our sail and sign card at the beginning of the cruise, and then tip additional if we wish, or should we wait till the last night of the cruise and hand them out to everyone?

I just wonder that if we tip at the beginning the cabin steward or waiters may figure "hey we already got our tip from them so we don't have to go out of our way to give them good service or be nice". Then in the end you get bad service, and a bad taste in your mouth for the staff and cruise line.

But if you wait to tip at the end of the cruise, they have somethine to "work" for. (if you know what I mean). Not that we wouldn't tip them. We would only do that if they were down right rude, lazy and incompetent.

So what do you guys thing? Before or after and why? What are your personal experiences?

Adventure of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:32 PM
my $.02

Default Re: Is it better to tip at the start or end of the Cruise?

I like to tip a little to the cabin attendent in the beginning. I usually give them $20 when we first meet. Although I have never had bad service, this seems to get you great service. I then tip then the normal amount in the end as long as the service was not horrible. I dont deduct the original $20 from the tip, so I go a bit over.

I do no think it hurt's, as they know the "game" also.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
hcat

my reply would be the same as 2 cents but also give a little along the way for any extra services!
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Passenger

I have pre-paid my tip already and I will be leaving July 26, 2004. I wanted to get as much as it paid for as I could before we left, that's why I did that. But if the service is GREAT, I will definately give a little extra!
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like to do what .02 said. I hand them $20.00 when he/she comes in the first time and give them any special requests. Then at the end they get at least minimum, more if they responded to my requests, less if the overall service wasn't good.
I must say before I started doing this this the service was usually good, now I get a bit more and so do they.
Norma
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Yeoman

I do the same thing...tip about $20.00 at the beginning, and full tip at the end. They work a lot harder than I do!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Re: Is it better to tip at the start or end of the Cruis

I gave my cabin steward $20 when we got on board and asked him to ice down my beer and how I wanted the beds set up. He also let me know where the single girls were on my deck. I paid him the regular amount at the end. I paid all my tips incash. You can go to the pursers desk and put them on your sea pass but they do not do it automatically.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Heidict Send a message via MSN to Heidict
Default Re: Re: Re: Is it better to tip at the start or end of the C

Thanks for all you help guys. I think I'll go ahead and give him $20 in the beginning when we ask for anything special or extra. It can never hurt!

Adventure of the Seas