Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Passenger

Default RCI Beverage Policy - Expulsion from Ship?

I've seen several comments about the Royal Caribbean beverage policy posted on the boards. Since some of the comments conflicted and there is nothing on the RCI website about sodas, I e-mailed customer service.

I asked if my soda of choice (diet Dr. Pepper) was available and if not, could I bring some with me. We are leaving from a port within easy driving distance so weight restrictions aren't a problem. The reply I got from customer service is diet DP is not available and that absolutely no food (with the exception of baby food) or beverages (including sodas, water, and alcoholic beverages) are allowed to be carried onboard.

I saw that the liquor policy states that if an alcoholic beverage of choice is not available onboard, you could special request it and if RCI could not make it available, you could bring it with you for a $12/bottle consumption fee. I e-mailed back asking if I could special request diet Dr. Pepper and if not, could I bring a 12-pack and pay a consumption fee. I got a reply that if I could get the soda through security, I was free to enjoy it onboard.

I got another e-mail from customer service a few days later saying that the food and beverage policy would be strictly enforced and willful or excessive violation of the policy could lead to expulsion from the ship. All the e-mails were signed "customer service" without a person's name so I don't know if they were all from the same person or from 2 or 3 different people. I was tempted to e-mail back to ask what "willful or excessive" meant, but was afraid that would get my name on a list and lead to having my luggage dumped out while security tries to find smuggled soda.

I don't have my boarding documents yet. Is that policy stated in the paperwork? The only thing I found on the website was about liquor, which I am not bringing. Has anyone been thrown off a Royal Caribbean vessel from bringing sodas with them? I assume that willful disobedience means if a passenger becomes violent when their drinks are confiscated (if they want a 12-pack, they can have it; I'm not going to fight over it), but what is excessive? Also, when they confiscate things, do they simply take the banned items or does that lead to a more thorough search or your luggage? I don't want my shampoo and mouthwash dumped out because someone thinks I might have Dr. Pepper hidden in there.

Last time I sailed with RCI (3 years ago), I remember having a soda craving the second day. We bought 2 6-packs from a store near the dock and carried them onboard. We didn't have any problems then but I don't know if the soda policy was changed since that sailing.
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: RCI Beverage Policy - Expulsion from Ship?

I have never heard of anyone being thrown off for soda smuggling. Depending on how much you want to bring, put some in your carry on and the rest in you checked bags. You shouldn't have a problem. Worste case sinario will be them taking it and you getting on the ship to enjoy your vacation. Best case sinario, you get to enjoy your vacation with your diet Dr. Pepper!

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Captain

When we sailed on Brilliance of the Seas a couple of months ago, a couple in front of us had a large cooler (plus bags of chips, Fritos, etc.). They put the cooler through the X-ray machine, and when it came out the other side, they dropped it. About six dozen cans of soda fell out, rolling all over the place. The security folks helped them pick it up, and off they went to the ship. The soda police must not have been on duty that day.......

Old June 6th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

THe people in front of us on the Sovereign also had a cooler in the security line. They sent the cooler through the XRay Machine and the security guard said nothing about it. I have never heard of someone getting throw off the ship for bringing soda onboard.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
First Mate

Eh Gads - how desperate must a cruiseline be for revenue when they wld deny bringing onboard snacks, water or a 6 or 12 pack of soda and esp. stuff they don't even supply. I am diabetic and eat only calorie & carbo. reduced choco bars or candies for obvious reasons - so I can't although they don't/won't suppy it? Notice I listed small amounts not large cases full - reasonable has to be a guideline also. The lines have to consider weight as it costs lots of $ to propell a ship. Wine & liq. I can understand but the other stuff pleaseeee!! :0(
Old June 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: RCI Beverage Policy - Expulsion from Ship?

I'm a diabetic too and bring low carb candy bars & nuts for snacks. I've never had a problem. Just sailed in January with my stash in my carry on.
Norma
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:13 PM
hcat

Same for me as a diabetic-. I bring my correct size little V-8 with me & small diet soda cans..never been a big issue.
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:26 PM
gerif

We just returned from a 5-night VOS sailing to Canada. Packed a 22" suitcase with bottled water (for me), 24-oz bottles of diet Pepsi (for hubby), a few cans of diet Sunkist, and a couple of bottles of wine. All were put into ziplock bags in case of leakage and the bottles wrapped in bubble wrap. No problem at all - it was checked through with our regular luggage at the dock (we drove to the dock). When we returned, the extra suitcase came in handy for purchases.

In Halifax, hubby found some special wine he wanted to bring home - this was taken through security and no one said a word.
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for the responses. I thought if someone had been thrown off for bringing drinks or food onboard, it would have been posted by now. It seemed very strange to me that they would send me that e-mail. I don't know if someone in customer service was on a power trip that day. I would be willing to pay a fee to ensure that I can bring my own items on board since RCI does not and will not offer them.

I saw a posting about some guys trying to bring 5 suitcases of beer with them. I can understand that RCI would like to curb that type of behavior, but banning items that they don't offer seems excessive. I can probably live without DP for a week - my traveling companions might not like it, but water is better for me anyway. I don't understand how they can ban diabetic and other special dietary items, though. I read that they have some sugar free desserts available, but I doubt they have other snacks, such as candies or cookies available.

Does anyone with an upcoming sail date have their boarding documents yet? If so, can you please see if there is anything mentioned about food and beverages (besides liquor)?
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Have my docs and they are almost word for word what is on their website.Alcohol is the only thing that is outlined! and even that refers back to their website. I leave Fri so we will see
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:48 PM
big apple

We have now been on over 39 cruises since late 50,s and I have brought booze beer and wine on board and have never had any confiscated unless blatant in the carry on luggage.We were on Volendam in feb where I saw one person bring a case of champagne and also a case of beer rolling in behind him Too many people making a big issue out of this.Put your booze in checked baggage and enjoy your drink in your room.You are allowed wine in your carry on baggage.Replenish in your first port.
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Passenger

I took a box and a half of juice boxes for my 3 year old plus snacks and a couple of cans that were left in the cooler. Didn't want them exploding in the car with the 95 degree days they were having in Florida. I didn't have any trouble getting stuff on or off.

Old June 7th, 2004, 07:43 AM
browezilla

I've taken softdrinks onto every cruise I've been on, with RCCL and others. Imagine the bad publicity that RCCL would receive if they took someone off the ship for having softdrinks. That may be the policy (read the cruise documents fine print), but I can't imagine it being enforced to that extent. I would think the worst would be apprehension of the soda.
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
WHP

We didn't go on the ship you're going on but we just got off Mariner of the Seas and we carried bottle waters, coke, and pepsi on board - the only beverages RCI carried on this ship was Coke - my husband detests Coke, so I took Pepsi, my brother took 3 - 12 packs of Coke - we loaded them on a small luggage cart with the straps - they were plaining out in the open - they sent them thru the detector and then handed them to us and allowed us to take them on board this ship. We also bought drinks on one of the islands (24 to be precise -we had a big group) and we carried them on as well - I know this is not your ship, but maybe this will help.
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:26 PM
S Sally

I just recently cruised and at the Port of Baltimore when embarking there was a family with four teens and each one was openly carrying a 6 pack of pepsi under their arm. Nothing was said or done about it.
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM
hcat

Let's let this thread die so folks from corporate do not change the ehforcement policy at the pier!