Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:48 PM
ReadyToCruiseWithFamily

Default To Miami by Amtrak

Hello there. Sailing Thanksgiving 2004 of the Voyager and time is passing extremely slow. I have so many questions. Has anyone traveled by Amtrak to Miami? We have considered driving and by air but the best deal comes to Amtrak only costing $280.00 for the 3 of us roundtrip. Now that is a bargain for me but we just don't know what to expect. I have searched hotels that offer free transportation from Amtrak to the hotel but no luck. Many offer free shuttle to the ship.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM
hondo

Default Re: To Miami by Amtrak

Hello:

I've never taken the train all the way down to Miami. The farthest I went was from Cincinnati to Jacksonville and on to New Orleans. This July I'll be going to Alaska for a month than taken the train from Seattle to Cincinnati. I've always wanted to do that.

I'm assuming that you never have travelled with Amtrak. Yes? I've been spoiled by trains in Europe but Amtrak is O.K. The food is a little expensive but if you plan and bring your own food, snacks, you should be allright. I have been on trains with delays. I think the longest was 4 hours or so. I'm not familiar if you are going to switch trains in Jacksonville or Orlando. With the holiday the train maybe a little full so you may want to make a decision pretty soon.

I've always stayed in the coach class and never had a problem. The seats are very comfortable. During the day, I always go to the sightseeing car and vedge out.

As of yesterday, Delta was running a special. Out of Cincinnati RT to Miami was $198.20. You may want to look into the city that you are leaving from. I originally bought the ticket for $305.00.

Not much help, but if you have the time this isn't a bad option.

Hondo
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM
ReadyToCruiseWithFamily

Default Re: Re: To Miami by Amtrak

Hi Hondo. Thanks for you reply. Airfare is fairly cheap for us from Charlotte to Miami but when I saw the price for Amtrak I could resist. We have always wanted to take a train trip so this seemed to be the best time. Our train leaves at 3am and arives in Miami around 4pm. Not too bad but it doesn't list anything about changing trains. Do you think it will go directly to Miami since it has no other stops posted. Also everyone in the group from my area (the others from Wisconsin) are willing to take a train. Other option would be to split the group up with some driving and others flying. I have seen a menu from the train and it doesn't seem so bad. We have also reserved coach class. I have heard many horror train trip stories but I keep in mind that we have a great time too look forward to on the ship that if it turns into a bad thing on the train that the ship will out weigh it by far. Since our trains arrives a day before and a day after the cruise delays shouldn't be a problem, not that I want it.

Angela
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:56 PM
hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: To Miami by Amtrak

Hi Angela:

I'm not really sure what the train schedule is out of Charlotte. I didn't know of a direct train to Miami but I didn't look into it closely. I have thought about taking the train down to Miami and the rare occasion that I would want to take a last minute cruise but...

I have also heard horror stories about the train but I've been lucky not to have many delays. I'm lucking forward of the train back from Seattle. Three days should be enough time to wind down before I have to go back to drudgery (err work).

Having a day before and day after is always a good idea, train, plane ect. You just never know. Have fun.

Hondo
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:58 PM
hondo

Default Re: To Miami by Amtrak

I need a spell check on this puter. Oh Vell. <G>

Hondo