Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:22 AM
First Mate

Default LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressing Up?

Another poster 'Big Apple' suggested this question be asked. Do u want formal & informal nites and do u enjoy dressing up on cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sallyRN
Default Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressing Up?

Yes, yes and yes
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I do enjoy dressing up for formal nites. I think the idea of semi-formal is confusing for most of us. Even when they changed it to dressy casual it didn't help. No one is sure what dressy casual is either.
Norma
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

No. Casual only when on a cruise. We use the buffet on Formal nights. Or room service!
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
trish1c

Love to get dressed up. Any excuse will do. SO enjoys his tuxedo.

One of the reasons we cruise is b/c at a lot of land resorts there is no option to get dressed up.
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Passenger

I like the formal nights if they schedule them for evenings when the ship either leaves dock early or it is an "at sea" day. This may be shocking to some cruisers, but I take cruises based on the itenerary. I want to spend as much time as possible in the port to take in the sights. I don't want to return early to get ready for the evening. If the formal night is on a night the ship is in port or leaves late, I'll do the buffet.

Rhapsody of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

I like the formal nights. They're are so fun and fancy.
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

They are OK. We could do without them. Smart casual is fine for us. But we love to cruise so will take a few nights to dress formally.
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressing Up?

We have sailed on Windstar and Radisson, where they don't have formal nights, and we missed not getting all decked out a few evenings. I love seeing my husband in his black tuxedo or in his white dinner jacket, and I love wearing a beautiful gown. We rarely have the occasion to do so anymore.
To each his own, but we truly enjoy formal nights. Besides, I have never seen a bad looking guy in a tuxedo!
Happy Cruising, Ginnie
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM
banderboo

not while I'm on vacation.
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Passenger

We love formal nights. Last time we rented tuxes for our boys too and got some wonderful family photos-used them in our Christmas cards. The kids thought it was a lot of fun.

Radiance of the Sea 11/7/04
Sapphire Princess 10/1/05
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Betty Boat

We do not like getting all dressed up when we are on vacation. It is a real pain. I made a suggestion on the comment card to keep it at smart casual which on RCI is a sport shirt and pants for men and dress or slacks for women.
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Got2Cruise

Default Re: Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressing U

I think one formal night is enough. I don't like having to pack all the extra clothes. It wouldn't bother me if they did away with it.
Old June 12th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressi

I loved the formal nights. We don't often get the opportunity to get so dressed up. It was fun. I think it's a very special evening, and I must say, must husband looked fantastic in his tuxes, we also got some great pictures. I would be very disappointed if they didn't have formal nights as many of the other cruise lines. It's all a matter of choice, if you don't want to participate there are other dining options. Our daughter (14) is coming with us for the first time next year and I think she's most excited about the formal nights, she wants to go get dresses now!
BTW, smart casual on RCI is a sport jacket and tie for men (according to their web-site).

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Betty Boat

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dr

On the daily itineraries they give you on the ship, they are saying sport shirt and slacks for men for Smart Casual. I was surprised myself to see that and my husband had taken a sports coat for smart casual, but he didn't need it. I observed that RCI is getting much more relaxed about how people come into the dining room. I got the impression they would rather have you in the dining room than in the Windjammer regardless of how you are dressed.
Old June 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Nyla

Yes, it's kind of fun and something different to do because I don't get all dressed up like that at home. I usually change into my casual clothes afterwards though.
Old June 12th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Yeoman

Once is enough. It's just more stuff to take. I think this year when we go, we'll just do one night and opt to go to the Windjammer for the other formal night.
I feel I'm on vacation and want to wear what I want. Yet, observing the dress codes, I wouldn't wear just anything on formal nights to the main diningroom.

I think it would be so much easier not to have formal nights. It causes such a controversy sp? with so many people. If you want to dress up, great, if not, don't worry about it. But that's not the dress code. So I'll dress appropriately if I want to go to the main diningroom.
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:10 PM
S Sally

People don't even get dressed up for church or work like they did years ago, so why should they get dressed up for a vacation? People that like to get all glammed up should not frown on those who show up clean and neat, but not formal.
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressing U

Don't u just love the touch of silk, whiff of perfume, glint of rhinestones or even diamonds etc etc and don't we feel refined when we dress up - I know those who voted to 'do' formal nites understand. There is an elegance and ambience not obtained any other way except in the way we express our sexuality and femininity when dressing up - hard to express but 'hey' I am trying..! There is a Princess in all of us - right ladies - and she needs to be nutured? Happy cruisin' all :0)
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:09 AM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dressi

Hi cruisecrazy,Right on with your great comments.Definitely my type of woman. Do not agree with previous post which compares dress in church to the written policy of the cruise lines. My suggestion as stated before is to switch ti Windjammer type ships or Ociana cruise ships where the dress is country club casual for the entire cruise;however the pricing will put a real dent in your pocket.I would rather take more cruises.
Old June 13th, 2004, 02:00 PM
S Sally

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LADIES - Do U Like Formal Nites & Dr

The point I was trying to make in my comment above is that dress codes everywhere have become more relaxed. Because you feel so great and want to show off in your formal attire, doesn't give you the right to put down others that want to be more comfortable while on vacation. And it doesn't give you the right to tell others to go to the Windjammer - even RCI doesn't do that. I do obey the dress codes, but I hope it changes and I think it will.
Old June 13th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Delores

Three dressy nights are too much. On our last cruise to Alaska, we dressed nicely & went to the Windjammer. We couldn't believe how many others did the same thing. One dress up night would be enough!!
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
hcat

I like them but would prefer just two kinds of nights--dressy & casual. On a 7 night-3 dressy & 4 casual; on a longer cruise one or two more dressy. That would make it easier to figure out what to wear between formal & dressy night. It would also cut down on tie- wearing for the hubby! I like to be relaxed aftre the port days but it is so nice to be dressed up on sea days & take photos--feels all so elegant. Also casual should not be synonymous with sloppy or tee shirts.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Trice

Doesn't like formal night or dressing up. When my cruise come I'm going to be totally on vacation, casual only.
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:09 PM
OneVacationLover

Our family dresses up. It's gives us the opportunity to take great pictures, which is something we don't do enough as a family. the formal nights seems to set a positive festive mood over the passengers on the ship.
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
stuff&things

Love it! Had dh adn ds in tuxes and took dd to get an upso. Dressing up is part of the tradition of cruises - something that IMHO should not be lost or go by the wayside.

Old June 16th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Casual only while on vacation

Old June 16th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Red

Sherri1,Betty Boat & Trice--- If you don't like formal night or dressing up go on a differant vacation

S Sally--- The dress code doesn't say " clean and neat " it says "formal " or " smart casual "
A couple of thoughts on these issues:
It is not formal dinner , It is formal night, and out of respect for the other passengers people are expected to remain in that attire for the evening.
Another thing that I keep reading repeatedly is " It' my vacation and I'll wear what I want " that's fine on a differant vacation. again, respect for your fellow passengers.

There are laws, rules, and codes throughout society and without them we would have total disorder. If we did not have these dress codes people would be showing up in everything from formal wear to cut offs and tee shirts. We cannot make our own rules, but we can choose where and when we go. So, PLEASE, if you choose to cruise for your vacation, and the dress code is " FORMAL " or " SMART CASUAL " please dress accordingly that " evening " out of RESPECT to those fellow passengers who made the extra effort to look their best that evenig .
From a lurker with 12 past cruises. Thanks for listening.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:59 PM
First Mate

I really like formal night, but one on a 7 day cruise is enough for me. As for the "categories" of dress I see people in a variety of styles on each night from casual to dressy no matter what it's supposed to be. Formal nights, people do make a little more effort, but I still see dressy casual on those nights. I wouldn't miss dinner in the dining room because of what I had to wear, only due to my children's lack of being able to sit through a lengthy dinner or being too tired, then it's off to the buffet. I have never worn a gown on formal night, I have no use for one and can't imagine packing it, but a dressy cocktail dress is useful for other ocassions. My vote would be one formal/dressy night and the rest dressy/resort wear. My DH and I really enjoy the dining room on cruises and on the nights that the children dine with the youth counselors and other kids, it's heaven, it's one of the few times we can relax and just enjoy each other's company.

Margie
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Lks to Cruise

Red, it is a very old fashioned custom that will soon be gone. Get used to it! Why should others be uncomfortable out of respect to you???